Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Trek Horizon full fan film

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Donovan View Post
    I thought STO was at least semi-canon?
    Even if someone in Paramount said it nominally was, that's going to get rescinded the moment anyone on a TV or movie schedule is faced with actually integrating material from it into a show. The best you can probably hope for is casual mentions, a la the Among the Clans refs in Enterprise.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Donovan View Post
    I thought STO was at least semi-canon?
    yeah as TTK said, no. Unless it appeared in a movie or in one of the TV series it is not canon. I have found canon to be a slippery slope as the definition of canon seems to change from person to person, and many are sticklers for 'pure canon' and won't accept anything outside their rigid definition. It is particularly difficult for Trek as we have new age writers destroying the original canon and establishing their own, as well as computer games, books and now youtube (and other media) all adding to the mix and mudding the waters further.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Given that canon was only invented so Roddenberry could try to reassert dominance over Trek in a way lateral to copyright it's kind of a moot point now.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

IMO Abram's destroyed Trek canon more than anyone else.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Even if someone in Paramount said it nominally was, that's going to get rescinded the moment anyone on a TV or movie schedule is faced with actually integrating material from it into a show. The best you can probably hope for is casual mentions, a la the Among the Clans refs in Enterprise.
    That's fair enough, and that's pretty much what STO itself says on the subject. Their understanding is that they are "soft" canon or "canon unless/until contracted.

And that "intrusion" you're talking about is making for a lot of headaches over at the literary publishers because Licensing won't let them even look in the direction of anything STO-related and it's starting to muck up their own work because they've advance the universe almost to the Hobus Supernova event.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    yeah as TTK said, no. Unless it appeared in a movie or in one of the TV series it is not canon. I have found canon to be a slippery slope as the definition of canon seems to change from person to person, and many are sticklers for 'pure canon' and won't accept anything outside their rigid definition. It is particularly difficult for Trek as we have new age writers destroying the original canon and establishing their own, as well as computer games, books and now youtube (and other media) all adding to the mix and mudding the waters further.
    "Pure canon", however, is whatever the rights-holder says it is and they have at least given a temporary imprimatur to STO. Further complicating things is the fact that the rights holders have changed their minds from time to time, as GR himself did as well. Before Next Gen, the Klingons were going to be based on The Final Reflection, according to people who were in the loop back then. Then Gene and FASA had a big falling out and the rest as they say is history.

Interesting explanation of those days here:

http://byteknightvol2.blogspot.com/2...notes-and.html

yeah I was looking for the word 'hard' instead of 'pure'.

You only have to read through this threadhttp://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...d+travel+times to see how conveluted canon is. The show often contradicts itself and the writers often don't stick to established canon, much to the great frustration of fans.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 01-07-2017 at 05:07 PM.
    AKA-Dean