Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you know what I forgot to install in the Star Wars ships?

that being said atmo and planet fall capability are so cheap in su cost I make just about any vessel capable of both. It's like science systems, cheap, it is not hard to jam a heap of science capability into just about any size vessel.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

I figure that that there is a point when something is just too big to land on a planet or was not build to do so such as the Death Star is a giant Sphere the size of a small moon. I figure that not all ships are atmospheric capable but have some atmospheric capability anyways. The Star Destroyers have been seen in the atmosphere in Star Wars Rebels and Rogue One but no one has seen them land yet. The Republic Venator-class Star Destroyers are capable of landing but from what I have seen only what looks like some kind of cradled Landing field. I would not suggest that a Super Star Destroyer or First Orders Resurgent-class Star Destroyer would be good as they do not suggest a solid ship as an Imperial-Class Star Destroyer does in appearance. However yet, before I put my size ten foot in my size fifteen mouth who really knows when it comes to movie making.

As a rule of thumb I have made an unwritten rule that nothing over size 12 is atmospherically capable but if the need arises I will break my own rule. So far that has not happened except for such as Cloud city but it is build for the atmosphere.

If you want it to be atmospheric capable and planetary capable they do it. Your ship is your ship to build how you want it to be. Have fun when you build a ship think outside of the box and build something that is fun if you want go hog wild with it. If you want your ship powered by gerbils running on an exercise wheel then build it with just that way. Like the new Star Trek Films how many times have we seen the Enterprise in the Atmosphere compared to the Original Series? Three to one, I believe the ratio is. I know… I know the last movie it crashed but it was still mostly intact on the ground wasn’t it, even with the beating it took.

I can see a lot of reasons to have an atmospheric capable Star Destroyer would make the domination of a planet even more than a military operation; it would have a very strong psychological aspect with an icon of the Empire hanging over the city. Then with the Star Destroyer over head it would also be in a position to provide its fire power in assistance of a ground force along with a contingent of fighter cover as well. In a ground battle close air support is something that all soldiers have come to rely on in the fight.

I agree with almost everything Omega said.
    That is why I put atmo capability on my Fusion Borg Cube but not planet fall (I felt a size 17 cube didn't/shouldn't need to land). I also made conditions on my Aeon Atlantis City Ship build, atmo capability and planetfall as long as a suitably large/deep sea or ocean was available.

I liked how Star Gate had the Goa'uld Ha'tak-class pyramid ships used actual pyramids as landing platforms.

Like I said atmo/planetfall is cheap in SU's and adds tactical advantage so I put it into almost every build I make, no matter their size (obviously to a point, as Omega pointed out the Death Star is too big to land on any planet without catastrophic damage to both objects.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

The Pyramids being landing platforms has been an age old thought that main stream science has blown off for years. Yet their construction is of such that would easily allow the weight of ships like the Goa'uld Pyramid ships. Using the pyramids is much like the landing bays for the Republic Star Destroyers.

I could see a Borg Cube on the surface of a planet. It would just set down in a heavily populated section of the planet and begin assimilation. Then there was the Xindi weapon that was size 16 and it was constructed under water and hidden in a secret planetary hanger both which were on the surface of a planet.

Atlantis City ship is one of those ships that break the rules.