Thread: holo security programs

holo security programs

I had this idea a while ago and if you look at many of my write ups you will notice I equip almost all of my vessel builds with them.

The holo security program is an integrated part of a vessel's security systems. They can only be installed on vessels that have holo emitters mounted throughout (su = size x3 and is a part of the recreation systems)
    *holo security personnel (programs available equals size x5) <su=size>
    *holo-sec personnel can now be utilized on Federation vessels (implementation starts in the 2380's). Their programming is less sophisticated than other holograms (emergency medical, AI processor, emergency engineering) though it is suitable for their primary purpose. All holo-sec personnel are incapable of deadly force (embedded programmed safety interlocks prevent them from killing any living being, and their programming also prevents them from inflicting unnecessary or excessive harm or pain) and are issued with a stun rod, modified Type II phaser (capable of settings 1-3 only) and comm badge.)
    Last edited by WaveMan; 01-11-2017 at 12:32 AM.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Instead of discrete 'personnel,' a holosecurity system should probably consist of local changes to physical conditions that restrict mobility and prevent hostile actions from occurring—for example, pockets of a gas or airborne nanomaterial that prevents power transfer inside energy weapons from occurring, or a movement-inhibiting gelatin on all surfaces or suspended in the air.

EDIT: of course, one of the questions is how much of that is already covered by forcefields and stasis fields in regular TNG tech. They're pretty inconsistent with what security tech can do in TNG, including whether or not, you know, they have cameras in the hallway. (Did Roga Danar have some visual-light-pattern-scattering technology that we didn't hear about?)
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

all true enough mate, but as you said most of the " consist of local changes to physical conditions that restrict mobility and prevent hostile actions from occurring—for example, pockets of a gas or airborne nanomaterial that prevents power transfer inside energy weapons from occurring, or a movement-inhibiting gelatin on all surfaces or suspended in the air." is covered by conventional security systems (internal force fields and anti-intruder systems [which floods areas with anesthezine/neurozine rendering combatants unconscious].

I took inspiration for holo sec personnel mostly from Voyager's doctor. In several episodes the Doctor proved a very versatile combatant (obviously somewhat hampered by his hippocratic oath, which wouldn't be an issue with holo sec personnel), he was almost impervious to phaser/directed energy fire, could vary the density of his 'body', could walk through Voyagers force fields unhindered, didn't worry about atmospheric conditions/most radiation/etc and had examples of increased mobility (I remember him 'walking' on a wall in one instance) as well as pop from place to place at will. He was also tied into the ship's systems so could receive computer updates on internal scans etc directly (hell he was basically an extension of the ship's computer)
    Last edited by WaveMan; 01-11-2017 at 03:45 AM.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Given Federation policy, I can see a holosecurity projection acting more like a distressed concierge than a security guard.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

probably, but with the right programing (and programming restraints) I could see how it could be an effective anti-intruder system. Plus if you think about it flesh and blood security personnel must work within Federation policy, and so too would the holo sec personal be under those same constraints.
    Then there is the whole issue of keeping Federation citizens safe and secure and not putting them into dangerous situation if it can be helped.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 01-12-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    AKA-Dean

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    I really don't know much about Spacedock. But this thread had given me the idea for a new character or two. A security holoofficer, similar to Voyager's holodoc.

That will be fun to write up.

just putting it out there, but any holo program would be very hampered unless said program had a mobile emitter, and as we know they are from the 29th century. Without a holo emitter the holo programs are regulated to staying aboard their home ship (and for an EMH MKI a single sick bay or holo deck) or transferring themselves to holo environments. For many of the holo programs I write up that isn't an issue (AI Avatar, holo sec programs, emergency doctor and engineering) as I tend to include holo emitters mounted through the vessel (and pay the SU cost for the MKII programming [technology developed for the Prometheus that allows holo programs access to the entire vessel] and if I write up a 29th century vessel I always include holo emitters as standard issue for all major holo programs.

I do remember an episode that had large holo projectors (sized as a bit larger than a transporter inhibitor if memory serves) that allowed for large scale holo environments to be produced (and allowed holo personnel to be anywhere within the bounds of the projector) but again probably not that helpful for a character holo program (I am assuming that's what you are thinking about).

I do suppose you could always say that upon Voyager's return (2378) Federation R&D scientists managed to replicate the mobile emitter technology, in violation of the temporal prime directive. I often wondered why Voyager never attempted to replicate the mobile emitter, they had industrial replicators suited to the task (as per Spacedock write up a network of small terminals and one large terminal) and it would simply be a matter of making a detailed scan of the device, then have the computer generate a replicator template and then it is a simple matter of replicating the piece.
    AKA-Dean