Thread: a sad day for Australian knife forum's/lovers

a sad day for Australian knife forum's/lovers

I had a rough day yesterday as the longest running Aussie knife forum (Urban Bunker) shut down. It was a unique forum, friendly and inviting to a segment of the community that is oft viewed with disdain. The Bunker was one of the first forums I posted on and I held the distinction of reaching Elder status (making 1000 posts) first in the latest incarnation of the forum. It is a sad day for Aussie knife enthusiasts and we have lost a great resource (The Bunker had a retail shop front attached) both with the shop and forum closing.

here's a screenshot of my last post

AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Why did it shut down?

The owner/operator of the forum had family issues (a sick mother that took up a lot of his time for care) as well him becoming disenchanted by the market, about 12 months ago the Government banned the import of one hand opening pocket knives, cutting the shop's inventory and profit margin by 70%, despite the Government rescinding the import ban recently the shop never recovered and as the forum was attached to the shop, once it closed the forum soon followed. There was a small core of regular posters on the Urban Bunker but I think the operator of the forum just couldn't justify the cost of maintaining the forum once he shut the shop down.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 03-01-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Sorry to hear that. As a member of several low-population fora, I can feel for him and for the orphaned users.

thanks mate, it's not all bad as another Aussie based forum (Australian Blade Forums) has graciously allowed us to create a private subforum and those core members still have a place to chat with like minded people, but it is not the same, as there are several people missing who didn't want to make the transition.

The loss of the shop however is a big blow, as Aussies tend to get screwed on price for most things like knives and firearms. I have found I can often buy something (not anything to do with firearms, as that's a whole different issue, but knives) from the US and import it and still come out ahead even with postage costs. The retail cost of knives in particular are usually ridiculously high here. Individuals circumvent many of the costs by avoiding paying import taxes (if the package you are importing is under $1000, we don't, as individuals have to pay import tax on the item)
    AKA-Dean

Why the high cost? Better question: why hasn't someone set up a domestic knife manufacturing industry? I thought knives were as ubiquitously Australian as hats with one side of the brim up and kangaroos...or have I been watching too many Paul Hogan movies?

I think you have been watching too many Crocodile Dundee movies, gone are the days when we are allowed to even carry knives other than a SAK, multi tool or the undefined 'pen knife'. Our Government has adopted a 'genuine need' attitude and unless your profession requires it or you are doing a specific activity that requires a knife you aren't allowed to carry one in public.

The retail cost is high because of the import taxes our government puts on things like knives and firearms.

There is a small custom knife community but no production knife company that manufacturers in Australia, our market is just too small (the same can be said as far as firearm are concerned as well).
    AKA-Dean