Thread: Klingon ships question

Klingon ships question

Klingon ships question

The other day I was doing something… my taxes (fun... fun), when one of the newer gamer members asked me a question. “Pursuant to page 27 of the main spacedock book consumables last paragraph. If Klingon ships carry live food why are we not using that to build our Klingon ships?” and my response “?”.

Do any of you have a reason?

it was shown in an episode of Enterprise ("sleeping dogs') that Klingons had live Targ's, presumably for eating on board their ships. So the argument for 1.5xsc per year of consumables could be made in relation to Klingon vessels. I would also say that might not apply in later eras, the practice might have stopped by the 2300's, but then again it might not have.

memory alpha
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Targ

According to Neelix in 2376, Sarpek the Fearless was searching for his lost targ when he unearthed the Knife of Kirom. (VOY: "Barge of the Dead")
    One of the earliest encounters Humans had with targs was when, in 2151, members of the Enterprise NX-01's crew boarded the IKS Somraw in a rescue attempt. They found the carcasses of three targs, hanging up in the ship's galley, and also discovered three living targs, chained up behind a metallic door in the galley. (ENT: "Sleeping Dogs")
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

I would assume they just have hydroponic gagh farms somewhere on the ship, same as Federation ships have hydroponic greenhouses for their spices and synthijuana.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I would also mention that there is nothing noted about consumables in the Klingon Spacedock as far as I can see.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

There lies the problem.

After a look at the B’rel and K’vort classes the use of none replicator stat for the ship carrying live food would cost little extra. The B’Rel would increase three SU’s while the K’vort would increase four SU’s. Only a ship with several years of consumables stored would be drastically affected, so I do not see why it cannot be that way for the Klingon ships. I told my game group of ship builders that I cannot see why they could not use the stat as the way the one player had asked about. There was a couple that had questions but most came to see instantly as it was a no brainer.

As you point out mate most builds don't use anywhere near their maximum SU allocation, so it makes little difference which way you do it (as you said it's only a couple of SU either way).

The one thing I would suggest is if the ship is carrying live/fresh food that you make them allocate power to maintain (I did exactly that for my Stargate builds)

http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...ass-Battleship
    "Consumables (10 years worth) <210>
    *despite the vessel being fitted with a Matter Re-sequencer network Lantean practice is to carry large stores of fresh produce (all stored in Stasis bays, ensuring freshness, though this does require power [14 pwr/rnd to maintain food storage facilities])
    Matter Re-sequencer, network of small terminals <28>
    large pads (4) <12>
    *Matter Re-sequencer is capable of reproducing most organic and inorganic substances, though there are exceptions such as naquadah, neutronium, and some other exotic matter types."
    AKA-Dean

I would guess that they would likely have some sort of stasis system. Live food would require a steady diet of food and waist disposal and crew members to take care of them. On a Klingon ship the work would be benefiting a warrior and assigned to that of someone who has been in trouble or out of favor with the commander of the vessel... you would see where I am going.

Personally I do not think that a ship with live food would be all that smart as it was dirty work for those who had to deal with it in the Napoleonic Era as they carried some live food on their ships. Mostly chickens to produce fresh eggs for the Captain's table and officers and a bullock and such but most of the food was barrels of salted meats (beef and pork), water, oatmeal and dry peas with maggot infested biscuits. There was some cheese and other food but it was meager rations as it spoiled faster... oh cannot for get the rum and line juice that prevented scurvy. You get a glimpses of the live food in the beginning of Master and Commanders before the light fades and the eyes glow.

I could see a long duration colony ship that would be traveling at sub-light speed would have a protected area where their live food would be able to roam and graze. The crew could have an automated cleaning system such as droids and automation systems that would be able to clean the ship after the you know happens.

I could generate tons of systems to take care of the live food but that would take more the SU's that it would be worth to have live food on the ship. I figure that a Klingon ship would have live food for short periods of time before they ate it up. It would be maybe a month or so before the live food would be eaten up and stored food such as the food carried by the Napoleonic Era. The only change I would make is to add in power to the consumables system for the stasis system that would be apart of the ship for the live food. I would think that the gawk serpent worms would be in stasis.

If I had been faster on the thought when the question was asked I could have told her; “they stop at the local Klingon drive through and pick up the live food at the take-out window.” Ok, that is as funny as I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega1967 View Post
    I would guess that they would likely have some sort of stasis system. Live food would require a steady diet of food and waist disposal and crew members to take care of them. On a Klingon ship the work would be benefiting a warrior and assigned to that of someone who has been in trouble or out of favor with the commander of the vessel... you would see where I am going.
    I would assume that it is restricted to ships that carry wealthy officers; it would accompany them as part of the overall entourage that surround aristocrats (see Darok in 'Once More Into the Breach,' too). Really ostentatious Klingons might have whole feasts' worth of targs and gagh and cooks.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry