Thread: has anyone adapted Space Dock to Power Armour

has anyone adapted Space Dock to Power Armour

I have long been fascinated by the concept of Mechanized Power Armour, a single occupant suit of armour along the lines of the 3 ton suits Starship Troopers (the book not the movie adaptions) that is flight capable and drop capable (low orbit insertion from a Capital vessel) or the various Power Armour from BattleLords of the 23rd Century (they had 4 types, non mechanized 'body armour', powered armour called 'heavy armour', 'mechanized battle armour' and lastly 'ultra armour' which was essentially single or dual occupancy Mech's). I envision these suits would be around Size 1 (for the 'suit' type armour which is a exoskeleton type armour) or Size 2 for the 'mech' type armours.

Has anyone attempted to adopt Spacedock to this type of 'craft'?
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

I like the idea. The closest thing I have done is the Sphinx class construction craft, Babylon 5's work pods and construction style starfuries all are single person crafts. The only other thing would be the Workbee shuttles that are somewhere here. But a suit I have no idea. You would need to generate some tech for it here and there. I am only familar with the ones that were on screen (and in Japanese cinima) as I never read the book.

Look in the TNG Tech Manual under space suits. There's an EVA worksuit based on the 1950's-60's "bottle suit". I basically add shields and a Phaser III to it. I don't use Spacedock for it any more than I would a space suit. It's really overkill and would require a wholesale ground-up rework of the Spacedock system.

http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/s...c/worksuit.htm
    Last edited by Owen E Oulton; 04-22-2017 at 05:15 PM. Reason: added link

Space suits or even battle/enviro suits (basically space suits setup for battle) or the 'hazard' suit is completely different. I am thinking the next step up.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Hazard_suit

the sort of armour (for the 'suit' type) I am thinking is the far right in the pic

and 'mech' style with the sort of scaling I am thinking
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Isn't that the purpose of the Work Bee?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Isn't that the purpose of the Work Bee?
    how many weapons does a Work Bee have? How useful would a Work Bee be in a combat situation? Do you have anything useful to add?
    AKA-Dean

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    how many weapons does a Work Bee have? How useful would a Work Bee be in a combat situation? Do you have anything useful to add?
    Well, the Federation probably has shuttlepod-sized combat drones, although depending on what your tactical goals would be you'd probably want a photon torpedo to be the thing you send in.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

put aside how you think the Federation would adapt the concept of Power Armour, that wasn't what I was thinking, I simply asked if anyone has thought how Space Dock would handle Power Armour. I think Power Armour is a natural extension, and most advanced societies would gravitate towards developing such technology. Why I started thinking about this was watching the last episodes of this season of The Expanse, and the Martian and UN Goliath Power Armours.

http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Armor
    AKA-Dean

How well suited is Spacedock to sub-capital level ship fights in the first place?

it works for shuttles well enough and runabouts, and larger Power Armours (mech type) would be the same size as a shuttle (sc2).

I suppose you could eliminate all the systems such as navigational deflectors and other systems not used if you aren't zipping around in space at warp, and not include any propulsion systems except reaction control systems (which are capable of a speed of .025c or 7494 km/sec allowing the armour the ability to fly, inter and exit atmospheres and fly around in solar systems) but would have to include a mechanized propulsion system so the armour could 'walk'.

The Dominion War sourcebook has atmo vehicles written up (such as skimmers and phaser tanks) so I might look to that and adapt that.
    AKA-Dean