Thread: "Cross Trained" Professional Ability - what skills does it modify?

"Cross Trained" Professional Ability - what skills does it modify?

The Operations Manual presents the "Cross-Trained" skill under the Ops profession. It says:

"When performing the professional skill of another Starfleet Officer elite profession, the operations officer may add his Intellect modifier (for Intellect-based skills this equates to doubling the modifier"

I take this to mean that any skill that appears on any Starship Officer EP would get the bonus except for the 4 on the Ops list (First Aid/Physical Science, Observe, SysEng, SysOps). However, all those skills are on other EP lists. The way it is written I would assume that those skills are still exempt - what do you all think?

Also, this seems like it might be a little over-powered? It isn't uncommon for a character to have +2 or +3 Intellect modifier, and that would apply to a ton of different skills. Thoughts?

thanks

It may seem over-powered by the standards of other trad RPGs, but CODA tends toward providing substantial bonuses for PCs so they can display the omni-competence of Star Trek characters in game.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

In Universe it would make sense since Operations officers need to know a little about every other department to understand their resource needs. I would expect that most division heads and all Command path officers would take at least a partial tour at Ops as well.

I tend to agree that even though it modifies a lot of skills it is probably within the intention of the designers.

So do you all think that the Ops EP skills are included in those modified because they are on other EP lists, or excluded because of the language in the description?

There's nothing in the writeup that seems like it would exclude the Ops elite prof skills despite the overlap.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry