Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Orville

I think they are trying to do stand alone episodes with little or no extended plots that need two or three episodes to wrap up, which tends to make the episode seem a little rushed sometimes. I agree they are tackling some difficult issues and are doing a fine job of going through them.

Each episode seems to be improving and they are definitely finding their groove.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

looks like The Orville might get renewed for at least one more season, showing solid numbers

AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

this is interesting (spoilers for episode 3 for anyone who hasn't seen it) slight swearing warning on the vids

AKA-Dean

and this (as above for the swearing)

AKA-Dean

renewed for season 2
    AKA-Dean

every episode gets better with The Orville, and they have hit their groove, finding the balance between humor, plot and character development. The Orville is definitely a homage rather than a spoof of Trek.
    AKA-Dean

I've watched every episode of Discovery and The Orville, but I only look forward to The Orville as I find the show to be fun and a solid homage to Trek that I enjoy watching. With Discovery, I just have the forlorn, so far, hope of the next episode not being worse than the last one.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    I've watched every episode of Discovery and The Orville, but I only look forward to The Orville as I find the show to be fun and a solid homage to Trek that I enjoy watching. With Discovery, I just have the forlorn, so far, hope of the next episode not being worse than the last one.
    yeah mate me too, STD just gets worse, whereas The Orville just keeps getting better.
    AKA-Dean

I just watched the most recent episode "Cupid's Dagger" and while I won't discuss the plot, there is an element of this episode that deserves mentioning as it is something that usually gets overlooked. The aliens in this episode were so phenomenal that they actually exceeded the bar set by TNG/DS9/Voyager. These aliens were humanoid, but their appearance was not the typical forehead of the week ilk that were standard for Star Trek. I was extremely impressed and this aspect of the series is just another example of why The Orville is a serious Science Fiction setting despite the humor that is part of the series.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

season 2 has started

AKA-Dean

Unlike ST.D The Orville just keeps getting better with each episode.

I think The Orville has hit its stride now, great stories, good character development with characters I like and can relate to, a little humor and overall a great experience.
    AKA-Dean

my interest in Orville has slowly dropped, this is not the same show it was season 1 which made me love it. I've only found the episode "Home" and the two parter to be interesting and enjoyable, the rest was just "meh" now. I haven't watched the episode from 3/6/19 yet, probably this weekend. I hope it follows the humor and action of the two parter.
    But that's my opinion and my opinion is just that and only matters to me.

The latest episode, the one with the Union-Krill peace talks, was everything Trek stands for. I still love the show.

Sanctuary, the Trek story Paramount never had the balls to make (potential spoilers)

Sanctuary follows up the first season episode About a Girl which gave backstory on the Moclan species, revealing the true nature of the all-male species and their drastic solution to what they regard as a serious problem. The sequel reveals that the "problem" is more widespread and engages the Union and the planet Moclas in a debate which may end the Union, leaving the fate of all organic life in the balance! I'm not going to post any spoilers in this initial post other than to opine that this is a timely and topical story that will inevitably divide opinions among fans.

Moderatorial Warning: There will be contentious discussion following this post and people may get hot under the collar. I urge everybody to be polite and respect the views of others and their right to both hold them and to respectfully state them. Feel free to disagree but be polite and respectful in you rebuttals. I will be monitoring this discussion and be reprimanding those who step over the line. Do NOT bring real-world politics into this discussion -- the discussion is to be strictly about the fictional world and characters. Smilies have been disabled, so you can't say something offensive and add a smilie because "I was just joking."

The Orville is everything STD isn't and is IMHO far more 'star trekkie' (both in feel and storey arcs) than any of the current Trek shows and movies.

I just watched the Sanctuary episode and it was probably my favorite episode so far this season.
    AKA-Dean