Thread: Star Trek Discovery and Orville’s Tech

Star Trek Discovery and Orville’s Tech

STAR TREK DISCOVERY and Orville’s Tech

Here is a little tech that is what I have figured up from what little I have watched of Discovery and Orville.

Federations Displacement Spore Drive
    SU's Cost: 2 x size plus 10 SU’s (includes a Biological lab to generate a spore organism)
    Power Cost: equal to the SU's cost to make a jump

The Displacement Spore Drive requires a living organism to allow the transport between two points instantly. The growth of a fungus organism that exists in both normal and has a root system in subspace and the use of a living biological entity, that acts as a computer system. This system will allow the ship to travel hundred if not thousands of light-years to a precision location nearly instantly.

A failed jump can and has killed the crew of one ship and made the ship un-space worthy. Another time it has place the ship into unknown regions of space.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Though Orville is similar to Star Trek and Star Trek the Next Generation is so many ways much of their tech is the same some is just called something different.

Their Quantum drive is similar to that of Quantum Slipstream Drive but operates more like that of warp drive. Either, give it a warp drive or slipstream drive.

The only solution I have is the following. This is only a quick fix.

Quantum Drive
    Su’s Cost: 40 + Size + speed (number of light years per hour)
    Power cost: 60 power per round of use
    The Quantum drive provides speeds from 1 light-year per hour to 20 depending on the ship.

Have a good holiday here in America. Have fun.

both look about right. Concerning the spore drive, I simply wouldn't make it available as it is completely outside of the normal Federation Trek technology. The only races that had anything close to instantaneous travel were the Iconian's (Gateway transporter), the Sikarian's (Spatial Trajector) and the Voyager episode with the Graviton Catapult. There was also the Taurhai Gravity Induction Drive (the biggest one of that drive was 350SU used 300pwr/rnd and allowed 3Ly jumps at 18ly/min) detailed in the Romulan Space Dock recognition manual (page 6) but I personally think it OP for any period except really future Trek (say after 30th century Federation). Though I suppose with the introduction of the Quantum Computer (as per your notes in the 26th century) the argument could be made that a Spore Drive could use the quantum computer to navigate in lieu of a biological navigator and thus be used after then.

The Orville, they don't seem to have transporters, the rest is as you say very similar to Trek except in name.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

I didn’t think I was going to get back here before the holiday that is coming.

WaveMan, you are right. The Orville does not have transporters however they are aware of them as other species seem to have them as seen in the transporting them to a planet light-years away. I cannot see any reason that they don’t have them as they have food and matter replicators and holodeck technologies.

… Oh yeah, don’t forget the elevator music. They have elevator music. I never heard elevator music on the enterprise turbolifts.

Here is the thing if you want to put a transporter in your version then do so. Isn’t that part of gaming is for your group to make it their own. Do something that makes the adventure a little different than everyone else’s.

Some of the technical babble that we hear on Orville is just rehashed Star Trek and other science fiction series words nevertheless they are used more appropriately than any other science fiction comedy series has. I am actually enjoying the series more than Discovery. There has been a lot of thinking behind the scenes to get it right… or closer to right than others have.

I have made the notes to generate a version of the Orville but haven’t had the time to do so lately. I will post my version when I finish it.

As for the Spore drive it was just something to keep myself busy while Jewel and I were sitting in the waiting room. I had to keep moderately quiet. When I get bored stiff I can get annoying. I can really get annoying. It is an experimental drive system that I see that there are draw backs with as the systems is erratic and somewhat unpredictable. I just put it out to whoever wants to use it.

I loved the elevator music, real off beat humour and suits The Orville perfectly.

The one thing I don't like is the big spiral staircase behind the Bridge that has been featured several times, just not practical IMO.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

USS Orville ECV-197

Here is the Orville that I said that I would generate and it is a ruff version as we have only eight episodes as a guide to go by. The size I had to estimate and that is basing it against the shuttles and the size. When I started looking around for a size there are a lot of people who have the size larger than a Galaxy class to smaller than the NX-class out there so I estimated the size as the following being around the size of Voyager. I figured it to be somewhere between 300 to 350 meters in length. My estimate is around the ballpark for it. The rest is just fanciful imagining off the information given. I must say that it looks pleasing, and the rest is just guess work. Enjoy.

USS Orville ECV-197
    Class and Type: (Class type unknown) Light Cruiser
    Commissioning Date: Early 25th century

Hull Systems
    Size: 6
    Length: 300 to 350 meters
    Beams: 100 to 120 meters
    Height: 30 to 50 meters
    Decks: (seven estimate from the displays on the work viewscreen)
    Mass: 1,000,000 metric tons
    SUs Available: 1300 - 2500
    SUs Used: 2165

Hull Outer <24>
    Hull Inner <24>
    Resistance Outer Hull: 8 <9>
    Resistance Inner Hull: 8 <9>

Structural Integrity field [1 power/10 Protection/round]
    Main: Class 6 (Protection 90/130) <33>
    Backup: Class 6 (Protection 45) <16>
    Backup: Class 6 (Protection 45) <16>

PERSONNEL SYSTEMS
    Crew/Passengers/Evac: 302/57/6000
    Crew Quarters
    Basic: 200 <20>
    Expanded: 115 <23>
    Luxury: 35 <35>
    Unusual: 7 <7>

Environmental Systems
    Basic Life Support [11 Power/round] <24>
    Reserve Life Support [6 Power/round] <12>
    Emergency Life Support (36 emergency shelters) <12>
    Gravity [3 Power/round] <6>
    Consumable: two years worth <12>
    Food Replicators [6 Power/round] <6>
    Industrial Replicators
    Type: network of small Replicators [2 Power/round] <6>
    Type: 2 Large unit [2 Power/replicator/round] <6>
    Medical Facilities: 9 (+2) [9 Power/round] <45>
    Recreation Facilities: 8 (four main holodecks; twenty personal holodecks; large, pleasant eating facilities; two large lounges; four small lounges) [16 Power/round] <64>
    Personal Transport: Turbolifts, Jefferies tubes [2 Power/round] <18>
    Fire Suppression System [1 Power/round when active] <6>
    Cargo hold: 10,000 cubic meters <1>
    Locations: Various locations
    Escape Pods <7>
    Number: 60
    Capacity: 6 persons per pod

Propulsion Systems
    Quantum Drive Nacelles: <40 + 6 + 10 = 56>
    Speed: 10 light years per hour [1 Power/.2 light per hour of speed]
    PIS: Type I (18 hours of Maximum warp) <18>
    Impulse Engine Type: two Class 6 (.75c/.9c) [7/9 Power/round] <30 x 2 = 60>
    Reaction Control System (.025c) [2 Power/ round when in use] <6>

Power Systems
    Warp Engine Type: Class 17/X (generates 880 Power/round) <183>
    Locations:
    Impulse Engine[s]: two Class 6 (generate 48 power/engine/round)
    Auxiliary Power: four reactors (generate 5 Power/reactor/round) <12>
    Emergency Power: Type F (generates 50 Power/round) <50>
    EPS: Standard Power flow, +300 Power transfer/round <60>
    Standard Usable Power: 976

Operations systems
    Bridge: <30>

Computers
    Core: [5 Power/round] <12>
    Core: [5 Power/round] <12>
    Uprating Class Beta (+2) [2power/round] <8>
    ODN <18>

Navigational Deflector [5 Power/round] <24>
    Range: 10/20,000/50,000/150,000
    Accuracy: 5/6/8/11
    Sensor Systems
    Long-range Sensors [5 Power/round] <64>
    Range package: Type 8 (Accuracy 3/4/7/10)
    High Resolution: 6 Light-years (0.5/0.6 – 1.0/1.1 – 4.5/4.6 – 6.0)
    Low Resolution: 18 Light-years (1.0/1.1 – 6.4/6.6 – 13.5/13.6 – 18.0)
    Strength Package: Class 10 (strength 10)
    Gain Package: Class Gamma (+3)
    Coverage: standard

Lateral Sensors [5 Power/round] <32>
    Coverage: standard

Navigational Sensors: [5 Power/round] <29>
    Probes: 100 <10>
    Sensor Skill: 5

Flight Control Systems
    Autopilot: Shipboard systems (flight control) 4, Coordination 3 [1 Power/round in use] <15>

Navigational Computer
    Main: Class 2 (+1) [1 Power/round] <2>
    Backups: 2 <2>

Inertial Damping Field
    Main <48>
    Strength: 10 [3 Power/round]
    Number: 4
    Backup <12>
    Strength: 10 [2 Power/round]
    Number: 4
    Attitude Control [2 Power/round] <2>

Communications Systems
    Type: Class 10 [2 Power/round] <32>
    Strength: 10
    Security: -8 (Class Epsilon Uprating)
    Basic Uprating: Class Beta (+2)
    Emergency Communications: [2 Power/round] <1>

Tractor Beams
    Emitter: Class Delta [3 Power/Strength used/round] <12 x 2 = 24>
    Accuracy: 4/5/7/10
    Lactation: one aft one forward

Emitter: Class Alpha [3 Power/Strength used/round] <3>
    Accuracy: 5/6/8/11

Transporters (none)

Security Systems Rating: 3 <12>
    Anti-Intruder System: [1 Power/round] <6>
    Internal Force Field [1 Power/3 Strength] <6>
    Science Systems Rating: 3 (+2) [3 Power/round] <21>
    Specialized Systems: two systems <10>
    Laboratories: 24 <6>

Tactical Systems
    Seven beam weapons <55 x 7 = 385>
    Type (Equal to Type XII Phaser Array)
    Damage: 240 [24 Power]
    Number of Emitters: 200 (up to 5 shots per round)
    Targeting Systems: Class Gamma (Accuracy 3/4/6/9)
    Range: 10/30,000/100,000/300,000
    Location: two forward, one port, one starboard, one aft, one dorsal, one ventral
    Firing arc: 540
    Firing Modes: standard

Torpedo Launcher <19 x 2 = 38>
    Standard Load: (Equal to Quantum) torpedo (400 damage)
    Spread: 6
    Range: 15/300,000/1,000,000/3,500,000
    Targeting Systems: Class Gamma (Accuracy 3/4/6/9)
    Power: [20 + 5 per torpedo fired]
    Firing Arc: forward, but self guided
    Torpedoes carried: 100 <10>

TA/T/TS: Class Epsilon [6 Power/round] <11>
    Strength: 11
    Bonus: +3
    Weapon Skill: 5

Shields (Forward, Aft, Port, Starboard) <87 x 4 = 348>
    Shield Generator: Class 7 (protection 1350) [135 Power/shield/round]
    Shield grid: Type C (50% increase to 2025 Protection)
    Subspace field Distortion Amplifiers: Class Iota (Threshold 450)
    Recharging System: Class 4 (30 seconds)
    Backup Shield Generators: 4 (1 per shield) <8>
    Auto-Destruct System <6>

Auxiliary Spacecraft systems
    Shuttlebay(s): Capacity for 16 Size worth of ships <32>
    Standard Complement: four shuttlecraft
    Location(s): aft

---------

For the record I like elevator music I just don't like being in them. I have been stuck one too many time in them. They need a little boys or girls room in them. Jewel and I nearly had an accident in one.

all looks good, though it should be classified as "explorer" and not light cruiser.

with the weapons The Orville wiki list them as

http://orville.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Orville

Armament
    The Orville, being a "midsize" exploratory vessel, was not situated for combat or warfare. Nevertheless, the ship is armed for defense.

Systems
    Deflector Screen: The Orville boasts a high capacity shield grid to protect itself from impacts and hostile weaponry. The ship was able to withstand a considerable beating from larger vessels, albeit not for very long before severe damage ensues. These shields are reconfigurable to various external environmental factors such as plasma storms, radiation, etc.

Energy Pulse weapons: Capable of inflicting considerable damage to even larger vessels. Nevertheless as a exploratory vessel, the Orville isn't particularly powerful compared to larger, purposely designed warships. (equivalent to pulse phasers, only capable of firing in pulse mode?)

Plasma Torpedoes: The Orville is shown with at least six torpedo tubes. Two aft near its shuttle bay and four forward on its main hull. Capable of rapid fire, the Orville can also jettison its torpedo inventory.

Cutter beam: Whether a laser or directed type of energy weapon, the Orville possesses a cutting beam capable of slicing a multi-kilometre long asteroid in a matter of seconds. (equivalent to Borg cutting beams? probably only has one forward for cutting large objects up as shown on one episode.)

and some pics

and beside the Uss Olympia (a heavy cruiser)

also a bit pedantic but as an explorer The Orville would have 3 years of consumables.
    Last edited by WaveMan; 11-25-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    AKA-Dean

Even a cruiser can be an explorer. Just as the TOS version of the Enterprise was a constitution class heavy cruiser and it was considered an explorer. I believe that an explorer is a ship that is combat capable with long range and has extended science capabilities. Then there are ships like the Galaxy class that is oriented more to exploration than others. I called the Orville a cruiser as I believe that when the admiral was assigning the ship he called it a cruiser. I may be wrong and would have to go back and watch it again but I am pretty sure he called it a cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega1967 View Post
    Even a cruiser can be an explorer. Just as the TOS version of the Enterprise was a constitution class heavy cruiser and it was considered an explorer. I believe that an explorer is a ship that is combat capable with long range and has extended science capabilities. Then there are ships like the Galaxy class that is oriented more to exploration than others. I called the Orville a cruiser as I believe that when the admiral was assigning the ship he called it a cruiser. I may be wrong and would have to go back and watch it again but I am pretty sure he called it a cruiser.
    true but Trek even differentiates between 'cruiser' (and all the variations, light, heavy, fast etc) and 'explorer' (light such as the Intrepid and heavy such as the Sovereign). Plus I just watched the intro to ep01 and the line was "mid level vessel, The Orville, not exactly a heavy cruiser but an exploratory vessel" (paraphrasing). I suggest "exploratory cruiser" if you want to stay within the cruiser definition, but they specifically state that it isn't designed for combat (which 'cruiser' implies) and that is why I suggested explorer classification, leaving off the 'cruiser' bit entirely.

the intro does an abridged version of the conversation

AKA-Dean

I've done some calculations based on the cutaway image (same one Omega1967 presumably used) and rescaled the top view to the section, so based on a quick calculation, the ship's overall length is about 230 metres, or 875'. I'd stick with light cruiser as a type classification and explorer as its operational role. Most tech has a one-to-one correlation to Trek tech, with the exception of the Transporter. Communicators are worn on the cuff. A very few items of tech have different names - i.e. Quantum drive for Warp drive, Simulator for Holodeck, simply "gun" for Phasers, et cetera. One nice touch that TNG overlooked in its tech is an observation room for the Holodeck, which would have saved them no end of trouble.

Simply put, Orville is what Disco wanted to claim it is but failed to be.

I have done a write up the USS Olympia (Leviathan class heavy cruiser) from The Orville and will post it when I can, turned out quite nice.
    AKA-Dean

USS Olympia

The Leviathan-class USS Olympia Heavy Cruise is the largest and most powerful class of Union ship fielded as of the early 25th century. Being a heavy cruiser, the Olympia has much more advanced weaponry than that of science vessels, such as the USS Orville and vessels such as the USS Olympia are specifically built with combat in mind. They are suitable for almost any deep space tactical mission. Postings on heavy cruisers are a privilege and only the best and brightest get to serve on a Heavy Cruiser. The USS Olympia utilizes the same design aspect as many of the Union fleet ships. The front "arrowhead" serves as the main hull, and the three looping engines wrap around the rear of the ship, leaving enough room for the launch of shuttles out of the rear bay.

USS Olympia
    (commanding officer is Admiral Ozawa)
    Heavy Cruiser
    in service 2419CE

Size Class 8
    Length 650m
    Beam 250m
    Height 100m
    Mass 4 million mt
    Decks 20
    SU available (3250) 3738 (1 century of advancement)
    SU used 3727

Hull outer/inner <64>
    Resistance outer [12] 95%/600 dam +4 sensor diff <15>
    Resistance inner 12 <15>
    *dispersive Hull armour plating <64>
    *self repair system <32>
    SIF main class 8EX 110/160 <41>
    SIF B'up 55 <21>
    SIF B'up 55 <21>

Crew/pass/evac 900/180/4500
    Officers 260 enlisted 640
    *as a dedicated combat vessel these ships do not cater for the crews families.

Quarters
    basic 600 (1-2 berth) <60>
    Expanded 350 (1-4 berth) <70>
    Luxury 100 (1 berth) <100>
    Unusual 20 (1 berth) <20>

Basic LS (complement total 5580, caters for 5600) <32>
    Reserve LS <16>
    Emergency LS (48 emergency shelters) <16>
    *The walls of the ship are made of a synthetic fiber that is an artificial sort of plant system, taking in carbon dioxide breathed out by the crew, and expelling oxygen. In addition to this the ship also has a water recycling system that is completely self-sustaining.

Gravity <8>
    Consumables (3 years worth) <24>
    Matter resequencer food, network of small terminals <8>
    Matter resequencer industrial, 2 networks of small terminals (primary and emergency) <16>
    Matter resequencer large pads (5) <15>
    *capable of large scale manufacture

Medical (10) +2 EMK 3 <50>
    cmo 5/6 per 4/5
    *state-of-the-art medical facilities

Recreation (8) <64>
    Environmental Simulators
    (large) 4
    (small) 20
    *each large environmental simulator has an overhead "observation deck" allowing spectators to view the simulation without actually interacting in it.
    large/pleasant eating facilities with a large lounge integrated
    1 large lounge, 3 small lounges

Jefferies tubes, network of Turbo lifts <24>
    Fire suppression system <12>
    Cargo hold 300,000 cubic meters <9>
    *three large holds and various smaller holds spread throughout vessel.

Escape pods (180) 8 berth <10>

Quantum Drive <68>
    three nacelle (upper, middle and lower engine)
    Speed cruise 15ly/hr max 20ly/hr {pwr .2 ly/hr of speed, (15ly/hr 75pwr/rnd ) (20ly/hr 100pwr/rnd)}
    PIS (type J) 48 hours <20>

Impulse Engines (2) class 8 .75/.95c (128 pwr) <80>
    class gamma acceration pk 100% <16>
    RCS <12>

Power Core (quantum power core, dysonium-powered) MK XIV (1449 pwr) <250>
    (I used a Romulan Micro Quantum Singularity Power Core as the template for this build, though it is several steps larger in progression than the largest Romulan versions)
    EPS isomagnetic (std flow+ 800pwr) <82>
    Auxiliary power (12) [60 pwr] <36>
    Emergency power (type G) (60 pwr] <60>

available power 1577

Bridge <40>
    Command Suite <8>

Computer cores (3) Quantum enhanced +5 <96>
    Class gama uprating <6>
    ODN <24>

Navigational deflector <32>
    10/20000/50000/150000 range 5/6/8/11

Sensors
    Long range sensors type 8 +3 <32>
    hr 6ly lr 18ly class 10 (10str) gamma gain package <32>

Lateral sensors class 10 (10str) +3 <20>
    range 2 ly gamma gain package <9>

Navigational sensors class 10 (10str) +3 <20>
    gamma gain package <8>

Probes 100 <10>
    Sensor skill 5

Autopilot 4/4 <16>
    Nav comp class 4 +3 <6>
    Nav comp B'up class 2 +1 <2>

IDF (main) 4 (str 9) <64>
    IDF (auxiliary) (str 9) 2 <8>
    Attitude control <2>
    *manual steering column <1>

Comms class 10 str10 sec-8 beta uprated +2 <32>
    *emergency comms <1>
    *holocomms <1>

Tractor beam (1) delta <12>
    4/5/7/10
    saucer fore dorsal
    4/5/7/10
    saucer fore ventral
    4/5/7/10
    aft middle nacelle
    Tractor beams (2) alpha <6>
    5/6/8/11 shuttle bay, flight deck

Transporters none

Cloaking Device (class 10) perfected cloaking device, shields can be used while cloaked, plasma torpedoes can be used while cloaked <38>

Security systems (4) <16>
    cso 4/5 per3/4 8 brigs
    *anti intruder system <8>
    *internal force fields <8>

Science systems (3) +2 <23>
    30 labs <8>
    specialized labs (astrometrics) <5>
    Despite being a dedicated combat vessel Leviathan -class Heavy Cruisers are equipped with extensive secondary systems to expand their mission profiles.

TA/T/TS epsilon +3 11 str <18>
    weapon skill 5
    Auto destruct <8>

Shuttle bay (20 size classes worth) <40>
    Aft dorsal
    10 shuttles (sc2)

Flight deck (30 size classes worth) <60>
    Aft ventral, this deck is design specifically designed to house size class 3 vessels.
    2 Megalodon Heavy fighters (sc3)

12 Carcharias-class Interceptors (sc2)
    3 wings of 4 vessels

Deflector Shields <144x4=576>
    protection 1400/2100
    threshold 450
    regen 20/rnd
    B'up shields (4) <8>

shield gen class 7 (1400)
    shield grid type C (50% increase)
    subspace field dis amp (class iota 450)
    regen class 1 20/rnd

Tactical systems
    Primary Pule particle beam arrays (type 11) (4 cannons) <212>
    *antimatter particle beam array
    Dam 290 Pwr 29/shot 5sht/rnd Arc 360 degrees
    Acc 3/4/6/9 modes pulse
    Loc P&S ventral fore, P&S dorsal fore
    Range 10/35000/150000/400000km

Secondary particle beam arrays (type 10) (9 arrays) <450>
    *antimatter particle beam array
    Dam 220 Pwr 22/shot 3sht/rnd Arc 541+ degrees
    Acc 3/4/6/9 modes std, pulse
    Loc P&S fore prow, P amidships dorsal, S amidships dorsal, P amidships ventral, S amidships ventral, aft upper, middle and lower nacelles
    Range 10/35000/150000/400000km

Cutting beam <31>
    dam see page 68-69 Spacedock, ignores conventional shields
    1 sht/rnd acc 3/4/6/9 arc 360 degrees
    Loc fore prow
    range 10/35,000/150,000/400,000km
    *this tool is primarily used for clearing debris though it has proven to be a very effective weapon as well.

Shield Drainer (2) [26su] <52>
    *each is attached to a forward tractor beam
    acc 3/4/6/9 arc 360 degree's
    see page 69 Spacedock.

Plasma Torpedo launchers (5) high yield
    spread 14 acc 3/4/6/9
    range 15/400,000/2m/5m km
    Loc P & S dorsal fore, fore ventral amidships, P & S aft middle nacelle.
    *these launchers is the latest Turret style which are capable of swiveling 15 degrees off axis giving them a wide field of fire. It is capable of launching up to seven torpedoes per second for up to two seconds, or launching fourteen torpedoes simultaneously.

magazines (5) 10 type III plasma (50) <5>
    1500 dam (within 30,000km), dam loss 6/10,000km after 1MU
    *cannot be multi fired.

Magazines (5) 140 type I plasma (700) <70>
    500 dam, statapheric
    Last edited by WaveMan; 01-08-2018 at 08:36 PM.
    AKA-Dean