Thread: Phaser Rifles

Post Phaser Rifles

In the RPG we are given stats for the phaser rifles of the federation. My question is, which models listed match up with which props in the series (and what books are they found in?)?

What model is the old TNG/DS9 phaser rifle (i expect its the standard Type III)?
    What model is the new TNG/Movie phaser rifle?
    What model is the Voyager phaser rifle?

The TNG Phaser rifle is the plain old Type 3

The nice looking phaser rifles introduced in first contact are all also type 3's. However they have been seperated out by fans as Type 3a's etc...

And Voyagers Fat Fazer Rifle is a Compression Phaser Rifle...

My personal take on all this can be found at;
    http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.u...on_phasers.htm

------------------
    Dan.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

Going by what it says in Price of Freedom,the FC rifle is the type III compression version (what fans have called the IIIa. The Voyager version is probably an early version of the Comp. phaser. The old vesion would be the standard type III.

Does anyone know what a Compression Phaser is? In FC Picard called the partical weapons, have SF R&D started design new weapons instead of the old fashioned phaser?

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

I may be wrong about this, but since phasers uses charged Nadions, they therefore count as particle weapons.

AslanC Guest

I love the littl one used by the RRTs in the Player's Guide (or Price of Freedom) I get those two confused all the time

What about the idea of the Phaser grenade from Prime Directive. It actually made a bit fo sense.

Certainly Photon Grenades would be easy to make as well.

------------------
    Aslan Collas
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    RPG_Trek; http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rpg-trek
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.

Cool

Here’s the nomenclature we use in my games.

T-I
    Type one phaser “cricket” phaser seen in the TNG

T-IIA
    Type two smooth phaser pistol seen in season 1-2 of TNG

T-IIB
    Type two angular Phaser pistol seen in season 2-7 of TNG

T-IIC
    Type two banana shaped phaser pistol seen in season 2-7 of VOY

T-III
    Type three phaser rifle first seen in TNG and in lots of DS9 episodes.

T-IIIA
    Type three Compression Phaser seen in the VOY pilot and other VOY episodes.

T-IIIB
    Type three Compression Phaser (with black barrel) seen in Insurrection (and some VOY episodes)

T-IIIB-FR
    Type three frequency rotation compression phaser (with gray barrel) seen in First Contact.

T-IIIB-EV
    Type three extra-vehicular compression phaser seen in the space suits scenes in First Contact.
    T-IIIC Type three “bull-pup” compression phaser seen in LUG’s Players Guide.

------------------
    Just remember, even though it’s a vacuum,
    In space no one can hear you Clean.
    -J.T.

I like your list, but weren't the pahser rifles in FC and Insurrection the same type? And wouldn't the ones used in the deflector dish scene in FC be the same, only with some maglock device? Or was that what you meant?

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Question

It is indeed a nice list JT, but I can see a flaw.

Seperating the evolution of a particular Phaser type, for example Phaser MkII A through C...

Whilst a good idea with lots of real-world comparisons, does not take into account that the Phaser MkII statred in Kirks era, and would increase the model number exponentially by the issued models since the TOS design...

------------------
    Dan.

"Hi, I'm Commander Troy McClure, you might remember me from other academy training holo-simulations as, Abandon Ship, the quickest way out, and I sense danger, 101 things you dont need a Betazoid to know..."

http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

Talking

Phantom said:
    “I like your list…”

Thank you!

Phantom said:
    “…but weren't the pahser rifles in FC and Insurrection the same type?”

Yes, but IIRC there were 3 types of phaser rifles used in FC. Two of them had the same back half but different barrels (one smooth and black and the other silver and angular). The other was completely different shape and had two handles. IIRC in Insurrection they only used only ONE of the three phaser types (the ones with the smooth black barrels).

Phantom said:
    “And wouldn't the ones used in the deflector dish scene in FC be the same, only with some maglock device? Or was that what you meant?”

They were definitely not the same. They had two handles (similar to Dixon Hill’s tommy gun) among there many differences.

ST The Magazine did schematics of all of the Phaser rifles in one of their issues (I’m pretty sure it was issue #2). If you look at that picture it’s easy to see what I’m talking about.

Dan Gurden said:
    “…but I can see a flaw. Seperating the evolution of a particular Phaser type, for example Phaser MkII A through C...does not take into account that the Phaser MkII statred in Kirks era, and would increase the model number exponentially by the issued models since the TOS design...”

In the 2260’s (the TOS TV series) Kirk used Phaser One and a Phaser Two. Not a Type Type One or a Type Two. Obviously the nomenclature is different. In the 100 years between the production of Phaser One and the production of the Type One Phaser the nomenclature has changed. A designation of One still indicates a palm-sized unit; a designation of two refers to a pistol-sized unit. Etc….

Hope this helps.

------------------
    Just remember, even though it’s a vacuum,
    In space no one can hear you Clean.
    -J.T.