Thread: PLANETARY DEFENSPLANETARY DEFENSES or How to defend the Earth from space attacks

PLANETARY DEFENSPLANETARY DEFENSES or How to defend the Earth from space attacks

PLANETARY DEFENSES
    or
    How to defend the Earth from space attacks

This is a lengthy post.

Many planets in both Star Trek, Star Wars and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century and even more that I cannot remember their names have sported not only surface based and orbital weapons, fighter defenses. Nevertheless the above three have sported the powerful planetary shields. This is here will lay out what I call the onion defense system. It is laid out just like an onion with multiple layers of defenses including all the above. This was used in a Star Trek episode we ran where the Borg was attacking a well defended planet with all of the following defenses that I will explain in detail. Some of what I propose is bending some of the rules… no twisting them like a pretzel to make this defense work… nonetheless it works.

(As a note the Resurrected version of Battlestar Galactica series made mention in one of the first season episodes of a planetary defense network which I believe were anti-aircraft guns and surface to air missile launchers with no shielding systems as it was beyond their technology.)

First let’s start with the planet I will be using the friendly old Earth as an example. The Earth is 12,756 kilometers (taken from The Writer’s Guide to Creating Science Fiction Universe) in diameter with a circumference of 39,249 kilometers (estimated using FASA system) with a surface area of 500,501,284 square kilometers (estimated using FASA system). At roughly 160 kilometers the atmosphere ends and space begins’ there. The air but far too thin to bother with worrying about. This is the ionosphere going out to 1000 kilometers where the atmosphere is finally blown away by solar winds.

Let’s get started where with the defense before I start in on the offensive weapons of defense.

PLANETARY DEFENSE

There are three shielding to this defensive system. Here is where the onion comes in there are three layers the orbital shield, the city shield and individual building shields.

Important buildings can have shields such as weapons facilities, power production, command centers, facilities, medical, defense shelters and communications, the list can be endless. These facilities are not listed in any order of importance. These are like an umbrella stopping just above street level protecting the building and those out side of the building.

City shields are the next layer out they cove the city just like the individual building shields do at least a kilometer or two above. Their interlinking shielding multiplies their defense levels so as an example a small circular city three kilometers could have five shielding projectors and thus the interlaced fields would strengthen the shield so a single shield integrating with five others would increase the protection five times that of a single shield if they are all set to the same shielding calibrations. These shields umbrella overlap one another strengthens and supporting the other this is how it have come up with the shield enhancements following is an example. So, a lone shield 1000 protection and a threshold of 300 would now integrate would have 5000 protection and a threshold of 1500. This means that it would take at least three Galaxy-class ships firing together three shots a peice to make a dent in the shields.

Orbital shields are in orbit 200 to 250 kilometers above the surface located in the ionosphere where the air is thin. So, the shield is 13,165 kilometers wide at 200 kilometers high and has a surface of 516,549,029 square kilometers. If your orbital satellites can cover ten square kilometers each overlapping one kilometer you would have over 64,000,000 satellites. I would use a shield generator for a spacedock size 50 ship scale creating a seventy square kilometer shield umbrella overlapping twenty kilometers ten per side thus you would only need just over 10,000,000 satellites. Nevertheless, each satellite with a shield protection of 1400 protection and 450 threshold would have six overlapping satellites increasing the protection seven times that of a lone satellite. So, your orbital shield would be generating a 9800 protection with a threshold of 2940 requiring five Galaxy class starships firing three shots each to begin to make a dent in the shield. Shields on maximum your protection would be 14,700 requiring an all-out assault from eighteen Galaxy-class starships firing FIVE shots each to overwhelm the shields completely breaking down the protection.

The tactical advantage of the overlapping shields is that it raises the shielding but if one satellite is destroyed there is a hole, so I would suggest that the satellite’s shield umbrella cover to next satellite if possible. Then if one satellite is destroyed the neighboring satellites adjust their position slightly and then the hole is covered shortly. In that time a ship can slip through the opening. You would need over 14 million satellites.

If your planet has planetary shield umbrella projectors it works, the same but when the facility fails or is destroyed the other facilities can not adjust their position to compensate like satellites. You could use both orbital and ground bases as well.

I will post an example of the shield satellites and ground-based shield projectors later.

PLANETARY OFFENSIVE SYSTEMS

It was said once by someone that the best defense if a good offense. I agree but then again there are some who don’t want a weapons system sitting in their backyard. I can see their point of view as it would paint a bullseye on you. but let’s put ground base energy weapons arrays one per small cities, three for a medium city and five to seven per large city or scatter them about one per every 5000 square kilometers of solid surface. With each energy weapons array having 540 degrees of firing arc any ship attempting to attack the surface of the Earth would have to be in the sight of one of these weapons unless they were attacking the water. Attacking over the water would limit the number of energy weapons s that could hit you but if you were knocking a hole in the shield to allow smaller ships in then it makes sense. That would be twenty-nine thousand planetary based weapons arrays littering the planets surface and with three to six persons manning each that would require two-hundred thousand plus persons unless the arrays were automated somehow.

In conjunction with the planetary defense and offensive systems there would be orbital satellites that would be either automated or maned capable of firing not only energy weapons but missiles as well. These orbital satellites stations could be integrated into the shield satellite system defending the neighboring satellites and taking potshots at the attackers. Each of these stations would take care of the repair and maintenance of the shield satellites when they are not protecting the planet. One Command and control satellites space station per every 250 shield satellites. I would suspect that most would litter this out to five hundred kilometers from the surface and naturally they would all have overlapping fields of fire covering the neighboring satellites from attack.

Then there is the idea that I am not a fan of mines. Not only are they a navigational hazard they can drift out of their position. In space they are kept in place by thrusters as the on Earth they are anchored to oceans floor. The whole idea of a mine is as a blockade that only you have the way through and as a deterrent to whom ever comes across them keeping them out. Don’t get me wrong I understand they are a tool of warfare I just don’t have to like them. Just this summer there was the discover of a mine drifted into the Seattle sound area that they had to toe out and dispose of. I see them as more trouble than they are worth. I can see that if you know the enemy is coming you litter the area with mines as a defense then that makes sense in preparation for their arrival but after you place them, and they are not used you have to go get them. Each mine is size one with an explosive yield of at least 100 damage depending on their type.

Starship and fighter defense this can be any armed ship whether a shuttle or starship that stands a defensive perimeter one hundred kilometers out from the planet confronting the approaching the planet. One ship against an armada good luck, ten ships a little better depending on what kind of ships they are. In the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode Best of the Both Worlds mars had hot dog shaped fighters that attempted to assault the Borg Cube and were quickly swatted away with superior numbers these little ships could maybe have made a dent… no I guess not. I have never worked up these little ships as I don’t have much to go one other that the thought that they are all guns, shields and engines and little else with maybe a warhead for after ramming into another ship.

So here is how it all works.

The armada approaches the planet. Once Armada have ignored the warnings to approach the first layer of the Onion, the orbital defense satellites open fire taking out who and whatever they can. Naturally the armada has to clean out these satellites. Littered in among these will be the mines whether the Armada sees them they have to be cleaned out. This should take a toll on the Armada causing them to lose a few ships.

Once the outer layer is taken care of the second layer of the onion is the defense ships and what ever ships that have arrived sense the long-range sensors have detected a very large group of ships approaching. This does not preclude the defensive fleet from taking pot shots at the Armada during their tangle with the satellites. Among these will be the defensive space stations, starships, armed shuttlecraft, and fighters or what ever they have available. This does not preclude a few fast ships hiding behind the moon or dust ring swinging around in a pincer move and attacking the side or the back of the Armada.

Now if that onion layer is peeled away the shield is the line of defense. The Armada would likely be down to half its fleet if the defenders are good and lucky. The Armada would start probing the shield with a shot here and there testing it for a weakness. While this is happening the surface batteries would be blasting away as well as the defenses that are closer to the shield. This would eliminate a few more ships here and there.

Hopefully the defender’s reinforcement arrive in time and drive the Armada off. The defender’s reinforcements have fresh supplies and well rested, while the Armada has expended a good deal of energy and supplies to get this far, and the crew would be battle weary. This all depends on how many ships are left and how many reinforcements there are.

If the Planetary Orbital Shield fails, the Armada has to either land ground assault forces that are either on the ships that have survived or standing off just out of the system or begin an assault on the city shields. The objective it to take the cities without loosing them too much to damage. This is where the ground forces have to land and fight the forces on the surface. The Borg would attack the shields and anyone else would likely land ground forces.

If the Armada succeeded the planet is there at a cost.

Here comes the pretzel it is a budget buster.

A newer Orbital Defense Satellite 70 kilometers coverage

Hull Systems
    Size: 2
    Length: 10 meters
    Beams: 10 meters
    Height: 5 meters
    Decks: 2
    Mass: 20 metric tons
    SUs Available: 600
    SUs Used: 1883

Hull Outer <8>
    Hull Inner <8>
    Resistance Outer Hull: 4 <3>
    Resistance Inner Hull: 4 <3>

Structural Integrity field [1 power/10 Protection/round]
    Main: Class 1 (Protection 40/60) <14>

PERSONNEL SYSTEMS
    No Crew

Environmental Systems
    Consumable: 1 years’ worth <2>
    Personal Transport: Jefferies tubes [0 Power/round] <2>
    Fire Suppression System [1 Power/round when active] <2>

Propulsion Systems
    Reaction Control System (.025c) [2 Power/ round when in use] <2>

Power Systems
    Fusion Reactor Type: 2 Class 29 (generates 290 Power/round) <145 x 2 = 290>
    Locations:
    EPS: Standard Power flow, +10 Power transfer/round <11>
    Standard Usable Power: 200

Operations systems
    Computers Core: [5 Power/round] <4>
    ODN <6>

Sensor Systems - none

Communications Systems
    Type: Class 1 [2 Power/round] <8>
    Strength: 1
    Security: - 3 (Class Epsilon Uprating)

Anti-Intruder System: Yes [1 Power/round] <2>

Tactical Systems - none

Shields (Forward, Aft, Port, Starboard) <379 x 4 = 1516>
    Shield Generator: Class 7 (protection 1400) [140 Power/shield/round]
    Shield grid: Type 0 (0 % increase to Protection 1400)
    Subspace field Distortion Amplifiers: Class Iota (Threshold 450)
    Recharging System: Class 1 (45 seconds)
    Auto-Destruct System <2>

Auxiliary Spacecraft systems
    None

An older Orbital Defense Satellite five kilometers coverage

Hull Systems
    SUs Available: 600
    SUs Used: 1023

Hull Outer <8>
    Hull Inner <8>

PERSONNEL SYSTEMS
    No Crew

Environmental Systems
    Consumable: 1 years’ worth <2>

Propulsion Systems

Power Systems
    Fusion Reactor Type: 2 Class 21 (generates 210 Power/round) <105 x 2 = 210>
    Locations:
    Standard Usable Power: 420

Operations systems
    ODN <6>

Sensor Systems - none

Communications Systems
    Type: Class 1 [2 Power/round] <8>
    Security: - 3 (Class Epsilon Uprating)

Tactical Systems - none

Shields (Forward, Aft, Port, Starboard) <184 x 4 = 736>
    Shield Generator: Class 5 (protection 1000) [100 Power/shield/round]
    Shield grid: Type 0 (0 % increase to Protection 1000)
    Subspace field Distortion Amplifiers: Class Iota (Threshold 300)
    Auto-Destruct System <2>

None

Planetary surface shield generator
    Class and Type: Umbrella class planetary shield generator surface installation
    Commissioning Date: 24th century

Hull Systems
    Size: 4
    Length: 100 meters
    Beams: 49 meters
    Height: 30 meters
    Decks: five with two being subsurface
    Mass: 60,000 metric tons
    SUs Available: 800 -1300
    SUs Used: 2070

Hull Outer <16>
    Hull Inner <16>
    Resistance Outer Hull: 2 <0>
    Resistance Inner Hull: 2 <0>

Main: Class I (Protection 40/60) <16>

PERSONNEL SYSTEMS
    Crew/Passengers/Evac: (2 during no Alerts – 6 during Red Alerts) /0/100
    Crew Quarters
    Barracks: Houses 200 crewmembers <4>
    Spartan: 6 <1>

Environmental Systems
    Basic Life Support [6 Power/round] <16>
    Emergency Life Support (24 emergency shelters) <8>
    Gravity – none uses planets own gravity
    Consumable: 1 years’ worth <4>
    Food Replicators [4 Power/round] <4>
    Industrial Replicators
    Type: network of small Replicators [2 Power/round] <4>
    Medical Facilities: 4 (+1) [4 Power/round] <20>
    Recreation Facilities: 1 (a spartan mess hall and gym) [2 Power/round] <8>
    Personal Transport: Jefferies tubes [0 Power/round] <4>
    Fire Suppression System [1 Power/round when active] <4>
    Cargo hold: 2000 cubic meters <1>
    Locations:
    Escape Pods - none

Propulsion Systems - none

Power Systems
    Fusion reactor: three Class 20 (generates 200 Power/round) <100 x 3 = 300>
    Locations:
    Auxiliary Power: 2 reactors (generate 5 Power/reactor/round) <3 x 2 = 6>
    Emergency Power: Type A (generates 25 Power/round) <25>
    EPS: Standard Power flow, +50 Power transfer/round <25>
    Standard Usable Power:

Operations systems
    ops: <5>

Computers Core: [5 Power/round] <8>
    ODN <12>

Sensor Systems
    Long-range Sensors - none

Lateral Sensors [5 power/round] <6>
    Strength Package: Class 3 (Strength 3)
    Gain Package: Standard (+0)
    Coverage: Standard
    Sensor Skill: 3

COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS
    Type: Class 3 [2 Power/round] <6>
    Strength: 5
    Security: -2
    Emergency Communications: [2 Power/round] <1>

Tractor Beams
    Emitter: Class Alpha [3 Power/Strength used/round] <3>
    Accuracy: 5/6/8/11

Transporters - none

Security Systems Rating: 1 <4>
    Anti-Intruder System [1 Power/round] <4>
    Internal Force Field [1 Power/3 Strength] <4>

Science Systems Rating: 1 (+0) [1 Power/round] <9>
    Specialized Systems: none
    Laboratories: 1 <2>

Tactical Systems - none
    Shields (Forward, Aft, Port, Starboard) <379 x 4 = 1516>
    Shield Generator: Class 7 (protection 1400) [140 Power/shield/round]
    Shield grid: Type 0 (0 % increase to Protection 1400)
    Subspace field Distortion Amplifiers: Class Iota (Threshold 450)
    Backup Shield Generators: 4 (1 per shield) <4>
    Auto-Destruct System <4>

Shuttlebay(s): Capacity for 2 Size worth of ships <4>
    Standard Complement: 1 shuttlecraft
    Location(s):

Note: This station projects the shield up 200 kilometers in conjunction with other stations located across the planet’s surface. Although the facility is part of the planets power grid, I gave it its own power in case it is cut off from the main power. Also, if a craft attack the facility and it is inside of the shield the Facility only has as the listed defense not the integrated orbital shield.

Construction Notes: I did not want to go too much larger as then it becomes a colossus and then too much surface area. As for the SU’s used to get a shield rating and size this is the area that it has to flop in. this is one of the times Spacedock fails to give the appropriate size.

Here is my least favorite item.

Space Mine (with optional Cloaking Device)
    Class and Type: Type One Space Mine
    Commissioning Date: 24th century

Hull Systems
    Size: 1
    Length: 1 meter
    Beams: 1 meter
    Height: 1 meter
    Decks: n/a
    Mass: 1/2 metric tons
    SUs Available: 326
    SUs Used: 63 (with optional Cloaking device 80)

Hull Outer <4>
    Hull Inner <4>
    Resistance Outer Hull: 1 <0>
    Resistance Inner Hull: 1 <0>

Structural Integrity field: none
    Specialized hull: Stealth Capability <1>

PERSONNEL SYSTEMS
    Crew/Passengers/Evac: None

Environmental Systems
    Consumable: 1 years’ worth <1>
    Personal Transport: Jefferies tubes [0 Power/round] <1>

Propulsion Systems
    Reaction Control System (.025c) [2 Power/ round when in use] <1>

Power Systems
    Fusion reactor: one type 2 (generates 20 Power/round) <10>
    (with cloaking device: one type 4 (generates 40 Power/round) <20>)
    Locations:
    EPS: Standard Power flow, +0 Power transfer/round <5>
    Standard Usable Power: 80

Operations systems
    Bridge: None

Computers Core: [5 Power/round] <2>
    ODN <3>

Navigational Deflector: None

Sensor Systems

Lateral Sensors [5 Power/round] <2>
    Strength Package: Class 1 (strength 1)
    Coverage: standard

Sensor Skill: 2

Flight Control Systems
    Autopilot: Shipboard systems (flight control) 1, Coordination 0 [1 Power/round in use] <4>

Navigational Computer
    Main: Class 1 (+0) [0 Power/round] <0>
    Backups: None

Communications Systems
    Type: Class 1 [2 Power/round] <2>
    Security: -0

Tractor Beams
    Lactation: ventral

Cloaking Device: Class 1 [40 Power/class/round] <4>

Tactical Systems
    Warhead <10>
    Damage: 100 [10 Power]
    Number of Emitters: 1 (up to 1 shot per round)
    Targeting Systems: Class Alpha (Accuracy 4/5/7/10)
    Range: Proximity

TA/T/TS: Class Beta [1 Power/round] <9>
    Strength: 8
    Bonus: +1
    Weapon Skill: 3

Shields: None
    Auto-Destruct System none

Shuttlebay(s): none

Notes: There is not much to say about these other than I don’t like them but how stupid would you have to be to put a cloaking device on a mine as I said they can drift and get lost. If you can’t see it, you can’t fly around it! Kiss your butt goodbye! I know they mined the wormhole in DS9 that was a situation that required such a deployment nevertheless anything else it is still stupid, but I don’t make political decisions. As proof the second or third episode of Enterprise someone runs into your cloaked mine not knowing that they are there. Usually there are posted signs saying MINE FIELD STAY OUT at least kinder gentler militaries do in the 20th and 21st century movies. Ignore the rant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up grade the weapons and here is an orbital defense platform.

R-1 Invictus-type orbital defense outpost
    Class and Type: R-1 Invictus-type orbital defense outpost Commissioning Date: 23rd century

Hull Systems
    Size: 2 (6)
    Length: 160 meters
    Width: 100 meters
    Height: 170 meters
    Decks: 7
    Mass: 1,200,000 metric tons
    SUs Available: 1300 - 2500
    SUs Used: 1510

Hull Outer <24>
    Hull Inner <24>
    Resistance Outer Hull: 8 <9>
    Resistance Inner Hull: 8 <9>

Main: Class H (Protection 40/60) <18>
    Backup: Class H (Protection 20) <9>
    Backup: Class H (Protection 20) <9>

Personnel Systems
    Crew/Inhabitants/Capacity: 185/30/2000
    Crew Quarters
    Spartan: 140 <7>
    Basic: 30 <3>
    Expanded: 20 <4>
    Luxury: 15 <15>
    Unusual: 10 <10>

Environmental Systems
    Basic Life Support [9 Power/round] <24>
    Reserve Life Support [5 Power/round] <12>
    Emergency Life Support (36 emergency shelters) <12>
    Gravity [3 Power/round] <6>
    Consumable: 3 years’ worth <36>
    Food Processor Mark IV [4 Power/round] <18>
    Industrial Fabrication units Mark VIII [5 Power/round] <21>
    Medical Facilities: 7 (+2) [7 Power/round] <35>
    Recreation Facilities: 4 (one small rec deck; two gyms; large eating facilities; two small lounges) [2 Power/round] <24>
    Mercantile Facilities: none
    Personal Transport: Turbolifts, Jefferies tubes [2 Power/round] <18>
    Fire Suppression System [1 Power/round when active] <6>
    Cargo hold: 24,000 cubic meters <1>
    Locations:
    Escape Pods <3>
    Number: 60
    Capacity: 4 persons per pod

Propulsion Systems
    Warp Drive: None
    Impulse Engine: None
    Reaction Control System (.025c) [2 Power/ round when in use] <6>

Power Systems
    Fusion Reactor: four type 20 (generates 200 Power/round) <100 x 4 = 400>
    Locations:
    Auxiliary Power: 4 reactors (generate 5 Power/reactor/round) <12>
    Emergency Power: Type B (generates 30 Power/round) <30>
    EPS: Standard Power flow, +120 Power transfer/round <42>
    Standard Usable Power: 800

Operations systems
    Operations (OPS): <10>

Computers
    Core 1: [5 Power/round] <12>
    Core 2: [5 Power/round] <12>
    Uprating Class Alpha (+1) [1 power/round] <4>
    ODN <18>

Sensor Systems
    Long-range Sensors [5 Power/round] <37>
    Range package: Class 6 (Accuracy 4/5/8/11)
    High Resolution: 5 light-years (0.5/0.6 – 1.0/1.1 – 3.7/3.8 – 5.0)
    Low Resolution: 15 light-years (1.0/1.1 – 4.0/4.1 – 12.0/12.1 – 15.0)
    Strength Package: Class 6 (strength 6)
    Gain Package: Class Alpha (+1)

Lateral Sensors [5 Power/round] <15>
    Strength Package: Class 6 (strength 6)
    Gain Package: Class alpha (+1)
    Probes: 50 <5>
    Sensor Skill: 5

Communications Systems
    Type: Mark V [3 power/round of use] <18>
    Security: -3 (Type A Uprating)

Tractor Beams
    Emitter: Class Beta [3 Power/Strength used/round] <6>
    Lactation: Base of station

Accuracy 5/6/8/11

Transporters
    Type: Personnel [6 Power/use] <15 x 2 = 30>
    Pads: 6
    Emitter/Receiver Array: Personnel Mark 6 (26,000 km range)
    Energizing/Transition Coils: Class F (strength 6)
    Number and location:

Type: Emergency [6 Power/round] <13>
    Pads: 20
    Emitter/Receiver Array: Emergency mark 2 (5,000 km range)
    Energizing/Transition Coils: Class F (Strength 6)
    Number and location:

Type: Cargo [3 Power/round] <10 x 2 = 20>
    Pads: 400 kg
    Emitter/Receiver Array: Cargo Mark 3 (18,000 km range)
    Energizing/Transition Coils: Class F (strength 6)
    Number and location:

Security Systems rating: 2 <8>
    Anti-Intruder System: Yes [1 Power/round] <6>
    Internal Force Field: [1 power/3 Strength] <6>
    Science Systems Rating: 3 (+2) [3 Power/round] <21>
    Specialized Systems: one <5>
    Laboratories: 12 <4>

Tactical Systems:
    Phaser Banks <21 x 9 = 189>
    Type VI Phaser Array
    Damage: 120 [12 power]
    Number of Emitters: 120 (up to 3 shots per round)
    Auto-Phaser Interlock: Class Alpha (Accuracy 5/6/8/11)
    Range: 10/30,000/100,000/300,000
    Firing Modes: Standard, Continuous, Pulse, Wide-Beam

Torpedo Launcher <14 x 6 = 84>
    Standard Load: Type I photon torpedo (160 damage)
    Spread: 6
    Range: 15/100,000/400,000/750,000
    Targeting System: Class Alpha (Accuracy 5/6/8/11)
    Power: [20 + 5 per torpedo fired]
    Torpedoes carried: 100 <10>

TA/T/TS: Class Alpha [0 power/round] <6>47 120 30 324 300-120
    Strength: 7
    Bonus: +0
    Weapon Skill: 4

Shields (Forward, Aft, Port, Starboard) <29 x 4 = 116>
    Shield Generator: Class 2 (protection 300) [30 power/shield/round]
    Shield grid: Type B (33% increase to 399 Protection)
    Subspace field Distortion Amplifiers: Class Beta (Threshold 100)
    Recharging System: Class 0 (60 seconds)
    Auto-Destruct System <6>

Shuttlebay(s): Capacity for 8 Size worth of ships <16>
    Standard Complement: four shuttlecraft
    Location(s): Main Shuttlebay

Docking bays:
    4 external docking ports rating 4 number of docks (ships up to size 4) [may supply 40 power/round/ship] <1 x 4 = 4>
    4 external docking ports rating 2 number of docks (ships up to size 2) [may supply 20 power/round/ship] <1 x 4 = 4>

Notes: The mission of the Invictus-type orbital defense outpost is to provide defensive support for installations and planetary systems and to serve as an early-warning post able to withstand a low to moderate-level incursion by enemy forces. It is one of the few R-1 type stations that has been mounted with weaponry.

Remote Controlled or Automated Orbital Defense Satellite

Hull Systems
    Size: 1
    Length: 5 meters
    Beams: 5 meters
    Height: 2 meters
    Decks: 1
    Mass: 4 metric tons
    SUs Available: 326
    SUs Used: 289

Hull Outer <4>
    Hull Inner <4>

Main: Class 2 (Protection 50/80) <16>

PERSONNEL SYSTEMS
    No Crew

Environmental Systems
    Consumable: 1 years worth <1>
    Personal Transport: Jefferies tubes [0 Power/round] <1>
    Fire Suppression System [1 Power/round when active] <1>

Propulsion Systems
    Reaction Control System (.025c) [2 Power/ round when in use] <1>

Power Systems
    Fusion Reactor Type: 1 Class 20 (generates 200 Power/round) <100>
    Locations:
    EPS: Standard Power flow, +10 Power transfer/round <6>

Operations systems
    Computers Core: [5 Power/round] <2>
    Uprating: Class Beta (+2) [4 Power/computer round] <4>
    ODN <3>

Sensor Systems
    Lateral Sensors [5 Power/round] <13>
    Strength Package: Class 5 (strength 5)

Communications Systems
    Type: Class 4 [2 Power/round] <10>
    Strength: 4
    Security: - 3 (Class Gamma Uprating)

Anti-Intruder System: Yes [1 Power/round] <1>
    Internal Force Field [1 Power/3 Strength] <1>

Tactical Systems
    2 type V Disruptor arrays <2 x 26 = 52>
    Type 5
    Damage: 120 [12 Power]
    Number of Emitters: (up to 2 shots per round)
    Targeting Systems: Class Beta (Accuracy 4/5/7/10)
    Firing arc: 360 degrees
    Firing Modes: Standard, wide-beam

2 Micro Torpedo Launcher <9x2=18>
    Standard Load: Microtorpedo (50 damage)
    Spread: 5
    Range: 1/100/500/2000
    Power: [1]
    Firing Arc: Port and starboard, but are self guided
    Torpedoes carried: 200 <2>

TA/T/TS: Class Gamma [2 Power/round] <12>
    Strength: 9
    Bonus: +2

Shields (Forward, Aft, Port, Starboard) <8 (x 4 = 32)>
    Shield Generator: Class 3 (protection 400) [46 Power/shield/round]
    Shield grid: Type C (50 % increase to Protection 600)
    Subspace field Distortion Amplifiers: Class Gamma (Threshold 134)
    Auto-Destruct System <1>

None

Remote Controlled or Automated Orbital Defense Satellite

Hull Systems
    SUs Available: 400
    SUs Used: 380

Hull Outer <8>
    Hull Inner <8>
    Resistance Outer Hull: 10 <12>
    Resistance Inner Hull: 10 <12>

Main: Class 2 (Protection 50/80) <17>
    Backup: Class 2 (Protection 23) <9>

PERSONNEL SYSTEMS
    No Crew

Environmental Systems
    Consumable: 1 years worth <2>

Propulsion Systems

Power Systems
    Locations:

Operations systems
    ODN <6>

Sensor Systems

Communications Systems

Internal Force Field [1 Power/3 Strength] <2>

Tactical Systems
    2 type V Disruptor arrays <4 x 26 = 104>
    Type 5

2 Micro Torpedo Launcher <9x4=36>
    Torpedoes carried: 400 <4>

Shields (Forward, Aft, Port, Starboard) <16 (x 4 = 64)>
    Shield Generator: Class 3 (protection 460) [46 Power/shield/round]
    Shield grid: Type C (50 % increase to Protection 690)
    Subspace field Distortion Amplifiers: Class Gamma (Threshold 150)
    Auto-Destruct System <2>

None

Orbital Defense Space Station

Hull Systems
    Size: 1 (4)
    Length: 50 meters
    Beams: 50 meters
    Height: 30 meters
    Decks: 6
    Mass: 60,000 metric tons
    SU’s Available: 700
    SU’s Used:

Hull Outer <16>
    Hull Inner <16>
    Resistance Outer Hull: 10 <12>
    Resistance Inner Hull: 10 <12>

Main: Class 2 (Protection 50/80) <17>

PERSONNEL SYSTEMS
    Crew/Inhabitance/Capacity: 4/8/60

Environmental Systems
    Basic Life support [
    Consumable: 1 years worth <2>

Propulsion Systems

Power Systems
    Locations:

Operations systems
    ODN <6>

Sensor Systems

Communications Systems

Internal Force Field [1 Power/3 Strength] <2>

Tactical Systems
    2 type V Disruptor arrays <4 x 26 = 104>
    Type 5

2 Micro Torpedo Launcher <9x4=36>
    Torpedoes carried: 400 <4>

Shields (Forward, Aft, Port, Starboard) <16 (x 4 = 64)>
    Shield Generator: Class 3 (protection 460) [46 Power/shield/round]
    Shield grid: Type C (50 % increase to Protection 690)
    Subspace field Distortion Amplifiers: Class Gamma (Threshold 150)
    Auto-Destruct System <2>

None

Based off a basic Icon version by Owen E Oulton.

Planetary Phaser Batteries
    Class and Type: Type X Planetary Phaser Battery
    Commissioning Date: mid 24th century

Hull Systems
    Diameters: 18 meters
    Height: 12 meters
    Decks: 1 (subsurface)
    Mass: 30 metric tons
    SUs Available: 326 - 625
    SUs Used: 539

Hull Outer <8>
    Hull Inner <8>
    Resistance Outer Hull: 6 <6>
    Resistance Inner Hull: 6 <6>

Backup: Class 1 (Protection 20) <7>

Personnel Systems
    Crew/Inhabitants/Capacity: 3/0/6
    Crew Quarters
    Basic: 3 <1>

Environmental Systems
    Basic Life Support [2 Power/round] <8>
    Reserve Life Support [1 Power/round] <4>
    Emergency Life Support: (entire facility acts as an emergency shelters) <4>
    Gravity (if necessary) [1 Power/round] <2>
    Consumable: one years worth <2>
    Food Replicators [2 Power/round] <2>
    Industrial Replicators
    Type: network of small Replicators [2 Power/round] <2>
    Medical Facilities: medical kits only <5>
    Recreation Facilities: 1 (a spartan mess hall; exercise room) [2 Power/round] <8>
    Mercantile Facilities: none
    Cargo hold: 200 cubic meters <1>
    Locations:
    Escape Pods: none

Propulsion Systems: None

Power Systems
    Fusion Reactor: two type 20 (generates 200 Power/round) <100 x 2 = 200>
    Locations:
    Emergency Power: Type A (generates 25 Power/round) <25>
    EPS: Standard Power flow, +100 Power transfer/round <20>
    Standard Usable Power: 400

Operations systems
    Operations (OPS): <5>

Computers
    Core 1: [5 Power/round] <4>
    Uprating Class Alpha (+1) [1 power/round] <2>
    ODN <6>

Sensor Systems
    Long-range Sensors: none (exterior feed if any)

Lateral Sensors [5 Power/round] <10>
    Probes: none
    Sensor Skill: 4

Communications Systems
    Type: Class 5 [2 power/round of use] <10>
    Security: -2

Tractor Beams: None

Transporters
    Type: Personnel [3 Power/use] <9>
    Pads: 4
    Emitter/Receiver Array: Personnel Type 2 (15,000 km range)
    Energizing/Transition Coils: Class E (strength 5)
    Number and location:

Type: Cargo [1 Power/round] <7>
    Pads: 200 kg
    Emitter/Receiver Array: Cargo Type 1 (10,000 km range)
    Energizing/Transition Coils: Class E (strength 5)
    Number and location:

Security Systems rating: 1 <4>
    Internal Force Field [1 power/3 Strength] <2>
    Science Systems Rating: 1 (+0) [1 Power/round] <7>
    Specialized Systems: none
    Laboratories: None

Tactical Systems
    Phaser Array <29>
    Type X Phaser Array
    Damage: 200 [20 power]
    Number of Emitters: 120 (up to 3 shots per round)
    Auto-Phaser Interlock: Class Beta (Accuracy 4/5/7/10)
    Firing arc: 180 degrees ventral
    Firing Modes: Standard, Continuous, Pulse, Wide-Beam

Optional - Vertical Torpedo Launcher <14>
    Standard Load: Type II photon torpedo (200 damage)
    Spread: 4
    Range: 15/300,000/1,000,000/3,500,000
    Targeting System: Class Beta (Accuracy 4/5/7/10)
    Power: [20 + 5 per torpedo fired]
    Firing Arc: Vertical, but are self-guided
    Torpedoes carried: 200 <20>

TA/T/TS: Class Gamma [2 power/round] <12>
    Weapon Skill: 4

Shields (Forward, Aft, Port, Starboard) <20 x 4 = 80>
    Shield Generator: Class 3 (protection 600) [60 power/shield/round]
    Shield grid: Type C (50% increase to 900 Protection)
    Subspace field Distortion Amplifiers: Class Delta (Threshold 200)
    Backup Shield Generators: none
    Auto-Destruct System <2>

Shuttlebay(s): None

So this is the Onion Defense system at work. let me know what you think.

I definitely think at some point planetary shield grids would become invulnerable to star ship weapons.

I like the planetary defense system of the Aldean's (and from memory it was powered by geothermal energy)

https://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Aldea
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

I would agree. that shielding would surpass any Spacedock ratings and would work well in the basic Icon Lug format. Even this for this here would work better in that format. The Aldean's shielding would be more advanced such as thirtieth century tech or beyond.
    Last edited by Owen E Oulton; 12-22-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega1967 View Post
    Orbital Defense Space Station

Based off a basic Icon version by Owen E Oulton.
    Um, you didn't actually read the credits in the .PDF, which read:
    Planetary Phaser Batteries is a fan-written information sheet intended for use by Narrators running Star Trek role-playing campaigns.
    Design: Stephen M. Wood
    Deck Plan and editing: Owen E. Oulton

I cannot take credit for this other than redrawing the deck plan and compiling the document. The original idea was all Stephen Wood's.

I would agree. that shielding would surpass any Spacedock ratings and would work well in the basic Icon Lug format. Even this for this here would work better in that format. The Aldean's shielding would be more advanced such as thirtieth century tech or beyond.
    I'm not sure it would work the way envisioned. Against one starship, sure, but take one of the fleets from the Dominion War with a coordinated, timed simultaneous attack and ZAP! overloaded shields and an unprotected system. A layered defense-in-depth including a defense perimiter like in BoBW II, planetary, lunar and orbital batteries with a shield as last defense would provide better protection. Just make sure the password for the shield isn't chosen by President Scroob (Spaceballs reference)!

(Oops sorry! I hit "Edit Post" instead of "Reply with Quote", but I've restored your original message, Omega1967. Butterfingers day!)

The Aldean's shielding would be more advanced such as thirtieth century tech or beyond.
    agreed, and the repulsor technology was very advanced, well beyond anything the Federation had in the 24th century (when they encountered the Aldean's).

What was never explored was post reverse engineering that the Federation would have done after they saved the Aldean's for extinction, it was suggested that the Federation helped the Aldean's to relearn how all their advanced technology worked and surely the Federation scientists and engineers would have learned a lot about how it all worked during that process. I also believe the Aldean's would have joined the Federation at some point, and that would have made all that advanced tech available to the Federation (and the reverse also true, as surely the Federation would have had many things/technologies to share with the Aldean's as well)

Also adding to this thread is the Orbital DEfense Platforms I wrote up

http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...ense-Platforms
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMan View Post
    agreed, and the repulsor technology was very advanced, well beyond anything the Federation had in the 24th century (when they encountered the Aldean's).

What was never explored was post reverse engineering that the Federation would have done after they saved the Aldean's for extinction, it was suggested that the Federation helped the Aldean's to relearn how all their advanced technology worked and surely the Federation scientists and engineers would have learned a lot about how it all worked during that process. I also believe the Aldean's would have joined the Federation at some point, and that would have made all that advanced tech available to the Federation (and the reverse also true, as surely the Federation would have had many things/technologies to share with the Aldean's as well)
    Did you run Cradle Will Fall?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Did you run Cradle Will Fall?
    No. Was that an adventure or episode that was set after Aldea was saved?
    AKA-Dean