Thread: Stardate Magazine: Anyone else have copies of these?

Stardate Magazine: Anyone else have copies of these?

Back in the day, I picked up the first six issues of Stardate Magazine but, to be honest, I hadn't really spent a lot of time reading them until recently when i started a new FASA campaign. I'm finding that some of the ST:RPG adventures that were contained in these magazines were actually fairly decent—my crew just went through "Safari In Violet" from Issue 3/4. There were some flagrant violations of the Prime Directive along the way, but otherwise the story moved along pretty smoothly.

Anyone else have any experience with Stardate-written adventures? Other thoughts about the content in those old magazines?

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateJim View Post
    Back in the day, I picked up the first six issues of Stardate Magazine but, to be honest, I hadn't really spent a lot of time reading them until recently when i started a new FASA campaign. I'm finding that some of the ST:RPG adventures that were contained in these magazines were actually fairly decent—my crew just went through "Safari In Violet" from Issue 3/4. There were some flagrant violations of the Prime Directive along the way, but otherwise the story moved along pretty smoothly.

Anyone else have any experience with Stardate-written adventures? Other thoughts about the content in those old magazines?
    Yes, overall the contest was decent. Much of it, as with most FASA Trek was later contradicted by on screen stuff, but that was hardly FASA's fault.
    Generally I found most of the non-adventure articles to be more useful, as they had new bits of tech or new creatures and such. Stardate was a pretty good "support" type of magazine and held its own compared to similar offering from that time. The production quality held up, and often was superior to the regular product line, with glossy paper, and color interiors. The quality of the content varied from issue to issue and from article to article but that's a give for such a product.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    Yes, overall the contest was decent. Much of it, as with most FASA Trek was later contradicted by on screen stuff, but that was hardly FASA's fault.
    Generally I found most of the non-adventure articles to be more useful, as they had new bits of tech or new creatures and such. Stardate was a pretty good "support" type of magazine and held its own compared to similar offering from that time. The production quality held up, and often was superior to the regular product line, with glossy paper, and color interiors. The quality of the content varied from issue to issue and from article to article but that's a give for such a product.
    Thanks for your input!

Agreed about some of the "support" articles. For instance, I've added the Criticl Hit Table from Issue 7 into the starship combat portion of my RPG campaign. And the production quality of the magazine did indeed remain outstanding through the entire run of the magazine.