Thread: How is Decipher's Star Trek RPG?

How is Decipher's Star Trek RPG?

I have played FASA Star Trek and tried LUGs Star Trek but I have not tried Decipher's yet.
    I hear mixed things - some people swear by it while others just swear at it.

I want to know why those of you who play - play - if possible.

Thanks!

Todd

Sorry, it's been a LONG time since I've been active on the forum, so hopefully you haven't wandered off...

I LOVE the Decipher Star Trek RPG!

Character generation can be a bit cumbersome, as the layout of the Player's Guide is a smidge counterintuitive, (but there's a helpful guide on Patrick Goodman's site as I recall...) but once genned you are a competent Starfleet Officer without the usual incompetence of beginning level characters. (That doesn't mean you're ready for the slingshot maneuver, but hey...)

Mechanically, it feels like the love-child of the old West End Star Wars d6 system and the d20 system. For genre emulation, other than the fact that security officers are hard to kill, it emulates Trek exceedingly well. And the system is designed to cover all eras from Enterprise to Voyager.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

It's the best version I've written/run/played in...and I've played them all. But, fair disclosure, I'm somewhat biased.

In all fairness, I think it's a good middle-ground of mechanics and narrative. However, the current version by Modiphius is supported, and that shouldn't be understated. It's a bit more narrative (that's a good thing!) but full of more errors and fiddly-bits (that's a bad thing!). The good news is you should be able to get Decipher on the cheap.

LUG is good but hard to find. FASA is even harder to find, but the adventures are soooooooooooo good...grab them. Modiphius is in print and available, so don't sleep on that opportunity.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride