Thread: Programable matter

Programable matter

Programable matter

What is programable matter. I really didn’t know so I did some research. And the best information I could fid was listed on Memory Alpha. The link is below.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...o%20the%20ship.

The use of programable matter is basically a nanomolecular material that is capable of so many things that it is a fix it and do it all. It can enhance and work faster than the twenty-fourth century isolinear interface.

So basically, anything can be made from programable matter that can change when it is required.

So basically, I generated that the spacedock notes as follows.

Programable matter
    SU cost: size times two
    Power cost: one power x size

Programable matter is capable of enhancing all functions of any ship giving it a bonus of +2 to any test for that ship when making a difficulty test.

So that is about it. Unless someone else has a better idea how to integrate this into spacedock I would like to see it. It would be best with my notes on Expanded Star Trek Spacedock for 25th century and beyond.

http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...ury-and-beyond

So sooner or later I will generate a version of Discovery as a refitted future ship. I need to watch more of the series than I have.

this has the potential to be very OP if you really think about it, once it's adapted and reduced to man-portable and not ship-based technology.

Imagine a programmable matter hand-held device (say the size of tricorder) that can be instructed to turn itself into anything. Or a programmable matter weapon that can shift into different forms.

Even more frightening is the nano-cloud weapon of programmable matter, trillions of catoms released into the air so small they are invisible to the naked eye, capable of flight, these catoms form a network and work individually or as a group to achieve their goal.

Programmable matter also extends to ideas like a skinsuit (made from programmable matter that mimics clothing and can change as required), acting like a second skin. Here's a wiki article I wrote about a smart-suit based on programmable matter
    https://future.fandom.com/wiki/Smart...tech_clothing)
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

Yes, there are so many good things that could come from such materials but in the wrong hands this material is so dangerous. The last James Bond movie dealt with this same subject.

personally I can think of any number of uses for such a material but if put to it I could think of as many bad ideas or more. It would be the most dangerous item that has ever been made even more dangerous that the A bomb. Look how the A bomb turned out.

I also see this is what the Borg would be exploring programmable matter as a matter of course as their nanoprobes are exactly the same technology, especially the more overt aspects of the technology.

I agree this is very good and very frightening technology, both with so many potential gains for anyone who could harness it as well as so many ways to exploit it for those with more evil intent.
    AKA-Dean
    "I will never make excuses for who I am. It is the way I was born. I am a HUNTER. a BONE COLLECTOR."
    Wave Man, the term "wave man" is the English translation of 'Ronin' (Japanese word) and literately translates to "wandering person" and in a modern context a WaveMan is one who is socially adrift or a SalaryMan who is between employers.

I see that the Borg nano probes were the toe in the water testing it out and the Programmable matter is diving in all the way. The Borg may have had gone all the way but I think that even they would have stopped or were stopped when it began to get out of hand.