Thread: Share your favorite retro games

Share your favorite retro games

Hey! I've been reminiscing about the good old days of gaming and I was wondering, what do you think are the best retro games of all time? There's just something special about those classics that keeps us hooked. Share your favorites.

Ah, the nostalgia is hitting me hard! Let me share my top 5 picks with you. First up, we have the legendary "Mortal Kombat." Released in 1992, it truly left a lasting impact on the gaming world. Next on my list is "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time." This game, with its 3D graphics, captivating story, and memorable soundtrack, remains a fan favorite to this day. Moving on, I love "Metroid" for the NES, a game that kickstarted a beloved franchise and offered a thrilling sci-fi adventure. "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" is another must-play retro game. With its unique blend of role-playing elements and exploration, it earned its reputation as one of the best retro games of all time. And finally, let's not forget the classic "Space Invaders," a true pioneer of the shoot 'em up genre that defined an era. These games, along with many others, can be enjoyed on the pandora box arcade, providing hours of retro gaming joy.

I have to mention Gauntlet II, which I played a lot on my Amstrad in 1985 onwards: lots of fun with my friends or my brother. Later on when I got a PC, I played Doom II a lot, then went to one of my all-time favourites, Warcraft II, which I played a lot with my brother. Finally my most recent retro game, the game I completed the most times and which may be my all-time favourite period, was Fallout 2, which I even restarted during the COVID lockdowns.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I completely agree with you about the charm of retro games; they hold a special place in my heart too. I've been playing games for as long as I can remember, and Counter-Strike has been a constant companion throughout my gaming journey. I've literally grown up with it, and the nostalgia it brings is priceless.

These days, while I don't play as much as I used to, I've transitioned into being a spectator for competitive gaming, particularly professional Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO) matches. If you're into esports, I'd recommend checking out https://bo3.gg/matches/current for some great coverage and insights into the world of CS:GO esports. The level of strategy and skill in professional matches is truly impressive.

Now, as for my favorite retro games, it's hard to narrow them down because there are so many classics, but here are a few that I hold dear:
    1. Super Mario Bros. (1985) – The game that introduced many of us to gaming. It's timeless, challenging, and an absolute blast to play.
    2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998) – A masterpiece that set the standard for action-adventure games with its immersive world and epic storyline.
    3. Final Fantasy VII (1997) – This game not only revolutionized the RPG genre but also told a gripping and emotional tale that has stuck with gamers for decades.
    4. Street Fighter II (1991) – The king of fighting games. Countless hours were spent with friends trying to master the special moves of their favorite characters.
    5. Tetris (1984) – A simple yet incredibly addictive puzzle game that's still enjoyable today.

These are just a few of the classics that have left a lasting impact on the gaming world and continue to be enjoyed by gamers of all ages. What about you? Do you have any favorite retro games that you'd like to share? Let's keep the nostalgia flowing!