Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Character History

Dan and I (hi, Dan!) have discussed the issue of altering or enhancing PC's histories over ICQ privately. (and so everyone here knows, I am basically for it, dependent on circumstances. There are some things in my characters' pasts that are designed to allow GMs some lee-way. If there is something I don't want altered, I consider it my duty to be as specific as possible.)

Until now, however, I never knew the specific circumstances that Dan held in question.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Dan asked:
    Does anyone think that such a plot would have been out of line or over the top?
    </font>
    No, *I* don't; The character didn't consciously choose the path, nor did he have any direct recollection of it. Events like these, just as in real life, are beyond our control, and therefore, for me, at least, fair game.

Of course, it helps to know your player in order to guage how he or she may react to it; if there were any question of tantrums being thrown, or games being walked away from, I would approach the player, just as you did, and ask if he/she is open to the idea of experiencing an event that may alter their original conception of the character.

Something of that nature, Dan, would certainly be a paradigm shift fot the character if not the player. In my opinion it makes for interesting story-telling; and you were in no way out-of-line.

-R

Hi Dan...

While a PBEM does make it more difficult, it is not impossible. ICQ and other programs like it are a wonderful tool that way.

But before ICQ, when I ran PBEMs, I used a little questionairre to get insight and a discussion going on a character. The nature of most PBEMs are slow moving so if you know you want to do X in the next adventure, you can discuss it during the current adventure.

Throwing in twists like that are great with the right players. I had one scenario in my Intrepid game where I approached the player privately and explained what I wanted to try with his character being brain-washed. He agreed and role-played out the entire thing. It was an awesome set of sessions, especially since he almost succeeded before another character caught on and stopped him.

Unfortunately, it does come back to knowing your players and their designs for their characters. When going to throw in a twist, a GM should ask will this permanently alter the character's conception or life path in some way..if so it should probably be discussed. If it is temporary, then you can probably get away without discussing it and have a good surprise for everyone.

I agree that sometimes events should be beyond a character's control and as players we accept that risk. The name of the game is fun and if the event will ruin that character for that player then it should be reconsidered...especially in the nature of a PBEM as the hardest thing, I have ever found is dealing with disappearing players right in the middle of their character's spotlight.

Regards,
    CKV.

Dan,

Most of my players would have loved that plot. Especially if the instances of Heroism came before the Brainwashing.

It gives the character focus for the game. It allows for cool aftermath. It allows for later skill spending, "Hey, Councellor, where'd you learn to hack a Tal Shiar computer?"

And heck, you're not adding a whole bunch of unnecessary crap to the backstory of a character. One event that the character doesn't know about.

The only player I've ever had that would turn down hated to be in the limelight.

I'd have jumped at it, if offered. And I would have loved seeing it happen to me, "What do you mean, I'm the spy?"

So, no, I don't think you're being too harsh. It sounds like fun.

Alex

I've been playing my character for almost a year now, Lt.Cmdr.Khrys Antos. I started as a cadet and worked my way up being promoted and given rewards on many occassions. Each time the narrator told me the specifics of what I had to write down in my history, its well over a page now, single spaced.
    Example:"My character had a wife, she was killed by Dominions during the war. Had a daughter which he raised alone. Most of his old academy friends(other PC's), are deceased. All the dates are written and so are the names.
    During his third tour of duty, while on Q'onos, he fell in love with Beva(narrator's idea). Although, later during a coup Antos was framed for the murder of the Chancellor of the Empire when in reality it was Beva.
    All hell broke loose and the Khitomer accords are again broken, Antos escapes from Q'onos(almost died). Captured by Beva so they can be together. Turns the tables on her and hands her over to Fed authorities."
    All these plot lines were introduced on to my character without me having much say in it. The only piece of my history which is hands off is the daughter part. The narrator provided me with the opportunity to create such a character. Our group prefers to actually roleplay from as early as the academy part so histories are usually created as we go along.
    A complex character history should not be created if their is a high PC character turnover rate.
    It really depends on the narrator, some prefer concise information to work with, while others only want basic ideas with which they can mold plots.

I find it a lot easier to add in people and minor relationship because no one that I know lists everyone one their character ever met, dated, and possibly(inadvertently or otherwise) made mad throughout their entire
    lives. Another fun thing if your characters are well known, you could have someone who believes they know the character attemp to convince the character that they do know them.

------------------
    "What do you mean We are in the Neutral Zone? This is BAD!!" -Captain Jordan Macallister, USS Daytona