Thread: Torpedo explosion at point-blank and some other stuff

Post Torpedo explosion at point-blank and some other stuff

Hi,
    First of all, let me say I just skimmed Spacedock. I'm in the process of designing a ship but haven't got to the torpedo section yet. So, if the answer is there, don't crucify me.
    In the show, sometimes they would try to fire torpedoes at a target, but someone, usually data, would point out that a torpedo explosion at that range would also damage the Enterprise. I thought that that could be simulated by stating that a torpedo explosion at point-blank range would damage both the target and the firing ship. I haven't seen any rule about that in the book. Comments?
    Incidentally, that could be a good way to enforce the "phasers first, torpedoes later" rule mentioned in SD. You could say that at point-blank you receive full damage from your torpedo, and at short half or a quarter. That would mek phasers the preferred weapong for 300,000 km or less.

The other stuff:

The ship I am currently translating to SD is the USS Highflyer <http://www.geocities.com/patchlord/stships.html#USS HIGHFLYER>. It was designed by one of the players and later used in a campaign. I cal it a frigate because is geared towards combat (of course! ), but I was intrigued by the Strike cruiser denomination. anyway, one of the "innovations" is the wave-front (ST:TNG Technical manual, p.66) that gives the following speeds: 8.0/9.5/9.87. In order to simulate it, I used the Type 7B warp drive (7.0/9.2/9.4) with several Uprate pakages to achieve the speeds mentioned above. It seemed like theelegant solution. Better than trying to come up with SD stats for a wave-front drive. Was there a better way.
    Also, the warp drive type table lists several drives. The defiant, which supposedly is one of the more advanced ships in Starfleet, has a Type 6D98. That left me wondering if those other faster drives are there to allow us to build ships of more advanced civilizations, or simply as other options for Starfleet. Options that area available as of 2376.
    Thanks and sorry for the length.

------------------
    "As long as you can
    laugh, you are not
    defeated."

–- Jack Vanc

Originally posted by Fred:
    In the show, sometimes they would try to fire torpedoes at a target, but someone, usually data, would point out that a torpedo explosion at that range would also damage the Enterprise. I thought that that could be simulated by stating that a torpedo explosion at point-blank range would damage both the target and the firing ship. I haven't seen any rule about that in the book. Comments?
    That's covered on page 142, under "Range."

Anyway, one of the "innovations" is the wave-front (ST:TNG Technical manual, p.66) that gives the following speeds: 8.0/9.5/9.87.
    I must be overlooking something. I'm not finding any mention on that page of a "wave-front" innovation. Is the citation correct? I'd like to read about this and see if I need to include a new rule or something.

Also, the warp drive type table lists several drives. The defiant, which supposedly is one of the more advanced ships in Starfleet, has a Type 6D98. That left me wondering if those other faster drives are there to allow us to build ships of more advanced civilizations, or simply as other options for Starfleet. Options that area available as of 2376.
    Well, the propulsion section of Chapter Two lists the transwarp drive, quantum slipstream drive, and others. Is that what you're asking about? If not, please post a follow-up and I'll try to provide a more detailed answer.

Thanks and sorry for the length.
    No need to apologize for that! It's important to get everyone's questions answered in as much details as necessary.

Steve Long

Thanks, I found the torpedo info.

Here's the technobabble my player came up to explain the drive:

- Wave-front Interaction Subspace Field geometry (p.66); this new concept was based on principle that the interaction of two unphased but evenly modulated Warp fields can create a subspatial distortion stronger than each warp field. It requires two pairs of Warp nacelles, each generating a wave-front shaped Warp field. The system is not very energy efficient, as two pairs of nacelles must be powered, but it allows for longer sustainable high Warp fields, a higher maximum Warp and a greater Warp driver coil efficiency (p. 1).

The page 66 reference is the same I gave in my last post.

About the warp drives: I meant the Nacelle table on page 35. Are all those nacelles available to starfleet?

Thanks.

------------------
    "As long as you can
    laugh, you are not
    defeated."

–- Jack Vanc

I concur with Steve, pg 66 is a chart and a few paragraphs. While relating to similiar subspace fields info, there doesn't appear to be any mention of the wave thingy!

Oh and Steve, loved the shield rules with the threshold. Puts my shield breach rules in a better light although you covered yours much much better.

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Now I'm confused. I will have to talk to my player and see if he came up with the idea or there was some other reference I missed.
    Thanks anyway.

------------------
    "As long as you can
    laugh, you are not
    defeated."

–- Jack Vanc

Originally posted by Fred:
    Here's the technobabble my player came up to explain the drive:

- Wave-front Interaction Subspace Field geometry (p.66); this new concept was based on principle that the interaction of two unphased but evenly modulated Warp fields can create a subspatial distortion stronger than each warp field. It requires two pairs of Warp nacelles, each generating a wave-front shaped Warp field. The system is not very energy efficient, as two pairs of nacelles must be powered, but it allows for longer sustainable high Warp fields, a higher maximum Warp and a greater Warp driver coil efficiency (p. 1).
    I'm afraid I'm still not seeing where you're getting this. My page 66 talks about the shape of the hull facilitating slippage into warp, and has a subspace field geometry illustration. There's nothing wrong with the idea or technobabble per se, I just don't see your source for the idea in the first place.

About the warp drives: I meant the Nacelle table on page 35. Are all those nacelles available to starfleet?
    Sure. Unless something specifically says Starfleet can't have it, such as some of the other superluminal drives or certain versions of quantum torpedoes, Starfleet (and comparative entities) can buy it for ships.

Steve Long

[This message has been edited by Steve Long (edited 12-02-2000).]

To clear up Fred's question about the nacelles, you'll notice that the ones listed as higher-grade than the 6D98 ones on the Defiant are not actually faster - as long as we're talking maximum speed. They merely have higher cruising and sustainable velocities. Warp 9.982 appears (as stated) to be the maximum available to the Federation without Transwarp/Slipstream.

------------------
    "We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."

"Mr.Kalor, give them a full spread of Quantum Torpedoes - let's see if they're right on that last point"
    Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest NCC-81205.

Now I'm confused.

Hey, just as long as we're all confused together....

Steve Long

Originally posted by Capt.Hunter:
    They merely have higher cruising and sustainable velocities. Warp 9.982 appears (as stated) to be the maximum available to the Federation without Transwarp/Slipstream.
    Yes, I noticed that too. It's a trade off. You can have more sp[eed for standard uses or more speed for emergencies.

Steve Long wrote:
    Hey, just as long as we're all confused together....
    Yeah, right. You confusion is way smaller tha mine, since I only designed 1 ship, not 75!

------------------
    "As long as you can laugh, you are not
    defeated."

–- Jack Vance