Thread: Transporter costs

Question Transporter costs

I hate to be the first to have a moan, but are the SU costs for transporters a bit too steep?

Looking at the Galaxy just under 9.6% of it's total cost is taken up by the transporters! That's more that the entire warp system (nascelles, PIS & engine).

Curious & bemused.

I don't think they're too steep.

Of course, reasonable minds may differ. If you think they are, you can easily adjust 'em downward.

Steve Long

Nah, I don't intend to change it, that's nearly heresy as far as I'm concerned!

I was mainly curious if there was a rationalisation for it that had come up during design or playtesting. ie. along the lines of "transporters are often important plot devices & so their SU is high for game balance". At least that's how I consider it.

Game balance/importance in play is certainly one of the considerations involved. As I noted early in the manuscript, that often has more to do with a system's SU cost than its actual size. But I was also assuming that transporter systems, as a whole, had to be pretty big -- each set of pads gets its own room, and I'm betting there's a lot more equipment than what we see "behind the scenes" making everything run right. The multiple redundant backups needed to keep the transporter safe probably take up considerable space by themselves.

Steve Long

Lightbulb

A Galaxy-class ship has seventeen transporter emitters. (I just counted 'em on my Enterprise-D model ) That's got to take up some space.

------------------
    Greg

"Calm may work for Locutus of Borg here, but I'm freaked and intend to stay that way."