Thread: SRM Question

Question SRM Question

Steve:

One thing I noticed up front about Spacedock was that some changes were made to certain ship type/class/classifications. The downgrading of the Ambassador-class vessel to Heavy Cruiser, for instance, and the noted lack of the Ascendant-class Explorer, as cited in Price of Freedom.

Since both the Ascendant-class Explorer and the Shir'kar-class Frigate were of interest to me, that led me in turn to wonder whether I should expend my own time coming up with designs for them, or whether they will be in the Starfleet SRM.

I guess, in general, I'm curious to know if, as a general rule, we can assume that all the ship classes named in SD will be in SRM, or if there will be a few noted exceptions which we, ourselves, should get started designing.

BJ

Originally posted by CmdrBluejeans:
    Steve:

One thing I noticed up front about Spacedock was that some changes were made to certain ship type/class/classifications. The downgrading of the Ambassador-class vessel to Heavy Cruiser, for instance, and the noted lack of the Ascendant-class Explorer, as cited in Price of Freedom.
    The Ambassador was "downgraded" based on canon references referring to it as a Heavy Cruiser. It's actually more accurate to say that TPOF got it wrong.

Other changes are the result of (a) my opinions as opposed to other peoples', and (b) the fact that I was taking a much more thorough look at the entire subject than anyone at LUG previously did.

As for the Ascendant, there are two explanations. First, I was initially working from an early draft of the TPOF manuscript that didn't include that ship. Second, when I discovered it in the book, I decided that I had enough canon Explorers; I didn't need to add any made-up ones. But you're certainly free to add it in for yourself if you like!

Since both the Ascendant-class Explorer and the Shir'kar-class Frigate were of interest to me, that led me in turn to wonder whether I should expend my own time coming up with designs for them, or whether they will be in the Starfleet SRM.

I guess, in general, I'm curious to know if, as a general rule, we can assume that all the ship classes named in SD will be in SRM, or if there will be a few noted exceptions which we, ourselves, should get started designing.
    I posted a list of what would be in the SRM a while back in the Star Trek Chat forum if you're interested in a complete rundown -- I think it was in a Dominion War thread.

In general, the first SRM covers every canon Starfleet vessel of which I'm aware, except for the Starfleet Attack Fighter. It doesn't include any LUG made-up classes, like the Shir'Kahr, though I've covered a couple of those (the El Dorado, for one) in the DWS. I hope to cover all of them in later SRMs (which is why this one is "Ships of Starfleet, Vol. 1" ).

So, if you want to try your hand at the Ascendant or Shir'Kahr, knock yerself out.

Steve Long