Thread: Copyright issues for printing?

Question Copyright issues for printing?

Hi all,

Has anyone had any trouble with getting a professional company to print Spacedock? I haven't yet but my work has a print unit that might do it and I'm wondering about the books copyright, ie. can we print it for personal purposes?

You're free to print it for personal purposes, of course.

However, the presence of the Paramount copyright notice is likely to cause problems if you try to get it copied. I had the same problem myself. My solution was to do the double-sided copying myself, then just get Kinko's to bind it.

Steve Long

Originally posted by Steve Long:
    You're free to print it for personal purposes, of course.

However, the presence of the Paramount copyright notice is likely to cause problems if you try to get it copied. I had the same problem myself. My solution was to do the double-sided copying myself, then just get Kinko's to bind it.
    I simply printed the readme.txt and brought that with me to Kinko's, explaining to the very sympathetic counter-girl (who was listening to an anime soundtrack, so I figured I could win her over with my devotion to science fiction) that it says right there in the accompanying release notes that this was *meant* to be printed, double-sided, and bound. She agreed that yes, it rather did look that way, and let it slide.

Your mileage may vary, of course, depending on the musical tastes of your Kinko's counterperson.

BJ

Having worked at Kinkos at one time, I can tell you that you can get around even the rules lawyers by carrying a copyright waiver or filling out one of those nifty forms they keep behind the counter (which places legal reponsibility for copyright violations inherrant in your request back on you instead of Kinkos). Copyright law is a bit funny about certain things.

In any event, anybody who wanted to copy or print any copyrighted document could get around the whole problem with a letter of permission from the copywright holder (in this case, Steve S. Long). That's the reason that you often see "permission to photocopy for personal use" stamped on forms for other games and such. It avoids the problem of having to bother the author every time you want copies made.

------------------
    "Any society which is willing to surrender essential liberties in order to gain security, shall in the end have neither."

The difficulty with my giving anyone a permission letter is that if the Kinko's (or whoever) counterperson looks closely, they'll notice that oh-so-pesky Paramount copyright notice as well. I can't get away with giving permission to violate someone else's IP rights.

I think the "sympathetic counterperson" or "copy it yourself" routes (I used the latter) probably are your best bets.

Steve Long