Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Statistics for Delta Quadrant Species

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!

If I remember right, didn't the members of "Think Tank" cured the Phage?

I may be wrong, as I haven't seen the episode recently.

Here's some more for the Kazon...

Kazon

A race of warriors split into many sects, the Kazon are brutal. Each sect is headed by a Maje. The number of sects changes “almost every day.” It is mentioned that there are 18 sects in total. The Kazon gained independence about 30 years ago (probably that was the time when Jal Sankur united the Kazon sects). From their hatred towards uniform-bearing individuals as on Voyager one might conclude that they have been suppressed by a race with a similar military system as we know it from the Federation.

The most powerful sects are the Kazon-Ogla (First Maje Jal Razik) and the Kazon-Relora (First Maje Jal Haron). The Kazon-Nistrim (First Maje Jal Culluh) are a rather small sect that hopes to gain power by using Voyager's technology. Other sects mentioned in "Maneuvers" are the Kazon-Hobii (First Maje Jal Lorah), the Kazon-Mostral (First Maje Jal Surat) and the Kazon-Oglamar (First Maje Jal Valek). The Kazon-Pomar (First Maje Jal Mennis) are in control of the planet Sobras. The Kazon-Sari have been mentioned but not shown.

The Trabe had enslaved the Kazons for a long time on the Trabe's homeworld. They were a powerful economic force in the area and none of their trading partners wanted to speak out against the harsh conditions of the Kazon holding areas, lest economic sanctions be imposed. Approximately three decades ago, the Kazon revolted against the Trabe and sought to punish all of their species under the uniting leadership of Jal Sankur.

While Jal Sankur managed to unite the Kazon against their common foe, this alliance quickly dissolved and the Kazon split into factions, once again fighting amongst themselves, united only in their hatred of the Trabe.

The Kazon are aggressive and prideful, enjoying a well-deserved reputation as brutal warriors.

Attributes
    Fitness 3 [6]
    Vitality +1
    Coordination 3 [5]
    Intellect 2 [5]
    Logic -1
    Presence 2 [6]
    Willpower +1
    Psi 0 [5]

Skills
    Athletics (choose Specialization) 1 (2)
    Culture (Kazon) 1 (2)
    History (Kazon) 1 (2)
    Language
    Kazon 2
    Trabe 1
    Energy Weapon (Disruptor) 2 (3)
    Unarmed Combat (Brawling) 2 (3)
    World Knowledge (Sect-controlled Planet) 1 (2)

Typical Advantages/Disadvantages
    High Pain Threshold +2, Toughness +2, Bloodlust -2, Technologically Inexpert* -2

Early Life

Characters receive 5 Development Points to spend on their Early Life.

The Kazon have very few options for Early Life Packages. They can choose from the following:

Enslaved: You spent much of your childhood as a servant or slave for an alien master (likely a Trabe).

Craft (Choose Two Specialization) 1 (2) (2), Strength +1, Alien Upbringing (+1), Vengeful (former master) (-1)

Sect Upbringing: You grew up as a member of one of the various Kazon sects. You learned how to fight with fist and knife as well as how to survive in adverse conditions. Your childhood has made you tough and merciless; you know that mercy is for the weak. You have trouble sympathizing with others as a result.

Primitive Weaponry (Knife) 1 (2), Planetside Survival (Choose Specialization) 1 (2), and Empathy -1.

Street Urchin: Unlike many of your kin, you were an orphan on the streets of an alien world. Your earliest memories are of street life, scrounging and scavenging for survival. While your childhood has made you hard, your lack of health care has also left you sickly.

Fast Talk 1, Streetwise (Choose Specialization) 1 (2), Vitality –1.

Advanced Training

Kazon males also undergo additional training of some sort as they grow into adulthood. While most learn the ways of the warrior, there are some that follow other paths, though they are few and far between.

Characters receive 9 Development Points to spend on their Advanced Training.

Kazon Ascara: You showed promise as a youth and were trained as one of the Kazon’s elite warriors, the ascara. You were taught the skills of assassination and warfare by a master ascara, and have pledged your life in the defense of your maje.

Assassination (Choose Specialization) 1 (2), Intimidation (Interrogation) 1 (2), Guileful (+1), Quick-draw (+2), Code of Honor (Ascara) (-2)

Kazon Crewmember: You served aboard one of your sect’s vessels, performing odd jobs and learning the skills necessary for the life of a warrior.

Energy Weapon (Disruptor) 1 (2), Shipboard Systems (Choose Specialization) 1 (2), Unarmed Combat (Brawling) 1 (2)

Prison Education: You managed to find yourself incarcerated by another race. You made alliances while imprisoned and learned the skills of survival in the harsh reality of prison life.

Concealment OR Stealth (Choose Specialization) 1 (2), Streetwise (Choose Specialization) 1 (2), Unarmed Combat (Brawling) 1 (2)

Careers

Characters receive 10 Development Points to spend on their Careers.

Inter-Sect War: You have spent time making war with a rival Kazon sect. Most of this fighting took place on a contested planet rather than in space.

Heavy Weapons (Choose two Specializations) 1 (2) (2), Planetary Tactics (Choose Specialization) 1 (2), Planetside Survival (Choose Specialization) 1 (2)

Deep Space Patrol: You served aboard a Kazon vessel far from your home planet for an extended period. During your travels, you traded with other races, visited many alien worlds, and fought many battles.

Knowledge (Kazon Worlds) 1 (2), Shipboard Systems (Choose Specialization) 1 (2), Starship Tactics (Choose Specialization) 1 (2), Commendation (+1)

Kazon Raider: You served as a crewmember aboard a Kazon ship, raiding other vessels for supplies and valuables. You learned several useful skills and even managed to save a little wealth of your own.

Shipboard Systems (Choose Specialization) 1 (2), Starships Tactics (Choose Specialization) 1 (2), Alertness (+2), Wealth (+1) OR Contraband (+1), Promotion (+1)

New Disadvantage

Technologically Inexpert (-2/-3):
    The individual or species is primitive compared to their “neighbor” species. Such individuals or races are unable to comprehend advanced technologies beyond the operational level (i.e. firing an energy weapons, flying a shuttlecraft, etc.) and even that is often a challenge.

Characters with this defect (at -2) can learn Skills related to the operation of high tech equipment (i.e. Energy Weapon, Shipboard Systems, etc.), but cannot learn Skills relating to their maintenance or repair (i.e. Engineering) beyond a maximum of 1 (2).

The more crippling version of this Disadvantage still allows such characters to learn how to use such items (as above) but not how to maintain or repair them at all.

Note that this does not necessarily imply that a species possessing this Disadvantage is technologically inferior to other nearby races. In fact even a race that utilizes advanced technologies can possess this flaw if they are unable to maintain or repair their technologies. The Aldeans are a prime example of a race suffering from this Disadvantage.

Without external technical assistance, such races will eventually lose all of the advanced technologies they possess to disrepair and may even regress into planet-bound barbarism if their technology isn't self-maintaining (like the Aldeans').

Comments?

mactavish out.

[This message has been edited by mactavish (edited 05-17-2001).]

Other than the minor quibble that I would describe them as "ruthless" rather than "brutal", it looks good to me.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

What's the consensus regarding the Ocampa? I'm at least mildly curious what you all think happened to those remaining on the Ocampa homeworld after their energy capacitators ran out of power in 2375-6

There are a number of possibilities:

1. In my opinion, the most likely happenstance is that the Kazon-Ogla on the surface penetrated their arcology after the power ran out and their defense fields went down. I would guess that they either enslaved or slaughtered the remaining Ocampa, stole their remaining food and water, and probably took whatever technologies that they could remove without destroying. The medical equipment, food replicators, and water stores alone would make such a raid worthwhile. I also believe that the Ocampa lack any sort of weaponry (I didn't see any in "Caretaker" at least).

2. Kes returned to her homeworld before the energy reserves were exhausted and either restored/created a power source, moved them all to another world (or dimesnion), and/or wiped out the Kazon-Ogla.

3. Kes returned to her homeworld AFTER the energy reserves were exhausted to find her people slaughtered and her former home in shambles. After wiping out the Kazon-Ogla, Kes traveled to Voyager and the events depicted in the episode "Fury" took place.

4. Suspiria, the female Caretaker, returned to the Ocampa homeworld and either restored power or took the remaining Ocampa with her to her subspace realm with the descendants of those she took with her when she left many years before.

This only accounts for the Ocampa remaining on the homeworld. It was suggested that there are perhaps other Ocampan societies throughout the Delta Quadrant, seeded there by one or both of the Caretakers after they inadvertantly devastated the ecosystem of the Ocampa homeworld.

Does anyone have another theory regarding the fate of the Ocampa? Please post if you do.

mactavish out.

Well considering how pissed off Kes was in 'Fury'. Then I'd opt for 3) They're all dead and she went on a rampage.

------------------
    '...The Borg have stopped at deck 10...'
    '...Deflector Control, no vital systems...'

Not a vital system! What the heck do you think stops the ship going 'poof' every time it goes to warp?

- ST:First Contact; Lt Hawk

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SIR SIG:
    Well considering how pissed off Kes was in 'Fury'. Then I'd opt for 3) They're all dead and she went on a rampage.

</font>
    Except that it was stated that she hadn't been home yet... she headed homeward at the end of the episode, all indications being that it would be a place she could rest and take it easy in her later years.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

The following is a works in progress, done at work from memory without any rules or source material to hand. It is currently only a 41 point template and so I would appreciate any feedback and ideas from you guys...

Vidians
    By Dan Gurden and Brian K
    with thanks to Perrry

Attributes
    Fitness 3 [5] Vitality -1
    Coordination 2 [5]
    Intellect 3 [5] Logic +1
    Presence 2 [6] Empathy -1, Willpower +1
    Psi 0 [5]

Skills
    Athletics (choose Specialization) 1 (2)
    Culture (Vidian) 1 (2)
    History (Vidian) 1 (2)
    Language
    Vidian 2
    Science, Any (choose Specialization) 1 (2)
    Science, Life (choose Specialization) 2 (3)
    or Science, Medical (choose Specialization) 2 (3)
    World Knowledge (Vidian Homeworld) 1 (2)

Typical Advantages/Disadvantages
    Code of Honour (Oath); Cure the Phage - 3, Medical Condion (Phage) -2*, Species Enemy (Most species dislike/distrust them) -4
    High Pain Threshold +2

Editors Note: Organ redundancy had been considered by Brian, but I felt that Organs in jars on a shelf saved for later didn't really count...

Code of Honour (Oath); Cure the Phage
    This code is the primary species goal of the Vidians and the cause of their fall from grace. At first it was simply a driving goal of an advanced species turning to science to treat a disease rampaging out of control. As a result leading to the Vidians advancing their medical technologies by leaps and bounds.
    But the contstant failure of these advances to remedy the problem, caused this driving goal to allow the Vidians to 'justify' their action as neccesary when their attempts at treating the phage made them into monsters...

The Phage
    The Phage is a slow debilitating disease, with no cure. If left untreated it will be fatal for the sufferer. However treatment helps to slow this process. Unfortunatly the Phage is highly adaptive and will develop a tolerance for any treatment used.
    This requires that Vidians develop new and innovative means of staving off the disease. It was found that the transplant of healthy organs and body parts also helped slow the spread, but not stop the advance.
    Eventually the shortage of healthy body parts and organs led the Vidians to apply transplants from other species, developing advanced medical techniques to ensure compatibility, usually requiring certain ammounts of Genetic resequencing. This resequencing had an unfortunate side effect, in ensuring the Phages compatibility to the transplanted parts, and their eventual debilitation to the disease.
    Over the years the sources of legitimate parts began to run dry, and it was simply a matter of time before desperation turned the Vidians into more than desperate scientists and made them something more, something bad.
    By this point the extesive use of transplantation had already turned the species into a frankenstein mix of grafted skin and transplanted organs, becomming almost universally ugly by all species comparrisons, but now their attitudes towards other species became as ugly as their visage.
    At first they were choosy, carefully picking targets for potential in curing the Phage, and to keep their activities secret, but soon they were unable to keep their activities secret and hit targets indescriminatly either keeping their prisoners as slave workcrews until such a time as they could harvest the neccesary body parts, or simply hitting small groups to take a vital body part required urgently...
    The Phage had caused a once proud and peaceful species into a race of nightmare grave robbers...
    <<Spoiler>>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    *Note: The Think Tank cured the Phage in 2375-76, this will allow the removal of 'Medical Condition; Phage' but it will still take a while for the Vidians to loose their reputation as butchers and horrors...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

[This message has been edited by Dan Gurden (edited 04-19-2001).]

Perrryyy Guest

Question

Ok, I know this is a big stretch, but.. the encyclopedia says the Vidiians were once knoow as educators, artists and explorers. Maybe one or more of these skills could be included? Did you consider including Medical Sciences (Surgery)?

Just my "random thoughts"

------------------
    Impossibilities are merely things which we have not yet learned. — Charles W. Chesnutt

You know, we've seen a number of individuals and races that were technologically superior to the UFP in all of the Trek series, but there have been an inordinate number of them on Voyager. For this reason, I've been working on a new Advantage to help clarify this fact.

Please note that this is only a working draft. I personally think that it needs a LOT of work (particularly with the game mechanics), but I thought you might like to see it. Please comment and suggest possible changes.

Technologically Advanced (cost varies)

Some individuals and/or races are technologically superior to the majority of their “neighbors” and are thus capable of operating, repairing, and even constructing technologies of sophisticated design. Such individuals are capable not only of operating, repairing, and building such items, but are also capable (assuming they possess the appropriate Skills) of improving technologies of less technically adept races.

The cost of this Advantage varies based on both the scope and the level of advancement. Consequently, those slightly advanced in a specific field pay less than those highly advanced in multiple areas.

Generally speaking, slight advancements in a single field (i.e. starship propulsion, weapon design, defensive systems, medical technologies, etc.) cost 2 point. This level of advancement will allow the character to operate advanced equipment in the specific field at no penalty, repair existing technologies of similar sophistication (assuming possession of appropriate Skills), and even improve on the existing technologies of less advanced races (again assuming possession of appropriate Skills).

Those characters or races slightly advanced in most or all areas pay 4 points for this Advantage and are afforded the same benefits as above.

Characters or races that are exceptionally advanced (i.e. Borg, Iconians, etc.) are likewise capable of operating, repairing, and (again assuming knowledge of appropriate Skills) building their own advanced technologies and are also capable of improving on the technologies of lesser species. Unlike those slightly advanced races and individuals, however, exceptionally technologically advanced individuals are capable of far more impressive feats. Significantly technologically advanced races and individuals must pay 8 points for this Advantage. Note that this level is generally inappropriate for Player Characters.

If a character has slightly advanced knowledge in one or more areas, he is capable of operating the technologies of less advanced species with incredible efficiency (+2 or more to related Skill rolls). Additionally, he can make modifications to such technologies as to allow them to operate more efficiently, at lower power cost, or both.

When modifying existing technologies of a less advanced race, the character needs to make an appropriate Skill roll at a Difficulty of 9 (modified by the Referee as necessary). For each point by which the Skill roll is successful, the character can reduce the power cost to operate the item by 5% (to a maximum reduction of 50%), increase its performance by 5% (to a maximum of 50%), or a combination of both. This can be changed to suit the specific situation (i.e. improvement of a propulsion system by 0.2 per point by which the Skill roll was made, for example).

For example, if M’lot, a member of the slightly technologically advanced race called the K’lar’nek, attempted to modify a Starfleet warp drive system, he would make a Skill roll against Engineer (Warp Drive) with a Difficulty of 9. M’lot’s Intellect is 5, his logic is +1, and his Engineering (Warp Drive) is 4 (5). His roll totals 11, so he has succeeded by two points. Using this opportunity, he improves the warp speed maximums by 0.4 (0.2 per point). He could also opt to reduce the power cost by 10% or increase performance by a warp factor of 0.2 and reduce power cost by 5% if he wanted.

Those individuals that are technically far superior to other “local” races are also capable of imrpvong such technologies, but their Difficulty is only 6, and each point by which the Skill roll is successful, the character can reduce the power cost to operate the item by 20% (to a minumum operating cost of 1 power point), increase its performance by 20% (with no predetermined maximum), or a combination of both. Such individuals are also capable of introducing completely new functions to a technology (i.e. providing a warp drive system with transwarp capabilities) by making an appropriate Skill roll against a Difficulty of 12 (modified by the Referee as necessary).

For example, if the temporally displaced Iconian scientist, Lowen Bragnor, somehow managed to make his way aboard a Romulan warbird, he could (if he was successful in his Skill rolls) reduce the cost of their weapons systems (to a minimum of 1 point!), increase their maximum warp potential to warp 9.99999+, or even provide their ship with dimensional travel capabilities. There is very little beyond the abilities of sufficiently advanced races.

This Advantage is not truly meant for Player Characters, though an enterprising Referee could successfully allow a character with the +2 version of this Advantage with little trouble. This Advantage should be seen only rarely, and even then it should be used sparingly.

What do you think?

mactavish out.

[This message has been edited by mactavish (edited 04-19-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mactavish:
    What do you think?

mactavish out.

[This message has been edited by mactavish (edited 04-19-2001).]
    </font>
    My first thought is that this is an interesting concept, and a nice set of rules, but probably not an advantage I would take into account...

My main reason for saying this is the perspective of the matter. If say a Ref was planning a long term 'Shipwreck' campaign with his crew stranded on a 20th century Earth equivalent world (yeah, like THAT ever happens in Trek), then the players would all get the +8 version... But only as long as they are on the planet...

So it becomes a temporary matter... Altering depending on the species they are dealing with at the time...
    Which is a slightly different state of affairs to the 'Primitive' disadvantage... to represent a limited understanding of the technology, allowing its use, but limiting its repair and manufacturing process.

That said, I do however agree that the different tech levels do require some sort of Game mechanic, similar to that Steve put in Spacedock, showing compatibility of technology and difficulty to use and learn. And I think your actual rules for this advantage work well, and can even be reversed for lower tech level characters working out of their depth too...

------------------
    Dan.

OK, now Brian and I have been discussing the stats for the Vidian Harvester, I dont have my books with me right now, but if I remember correctly it served as a Disruptor, Medical Tricorder and Highly Specialised Transporter.

It strikes me that the first two uses are fairly compatible with the ICON rules, specially for powered objects...

The transporter is another matter. Anyone got any ideas on the sort of power drain such a device would have...
    Im willing to accept advanced technology, as it does match the background for the Vidians, allowing advanced micro transporters, possibly a powerful tranporter buffer and/or a good range to send 'retreived' organs to their ship/lab. And even increased power reserves due to advanced power cells (such a device would drain them quickly anyway)...

Any ideas...

Next, the Vidian Shock Troops, Scientists and Doctors

------------------
    Dan.

Last edited by Dan Gurden; 01-29-2002 at 09:23 AM.

I thought that the Vidiians' weapons possessed short range, targeted transporter capabilities that moved organs from the target's body to a handy cryogenic carrying case that all harvesting mission personnel carried (or perhaps one case per pair of harvesters). This would negate the need for long range transport of organs to a ship or lab; just transfer them to the case and then have the ship use it's transporters to move the case to the medical lab.

I'd use statistics similar to that of the weapon portion of the device, but make it line-of-sight only. The medical sensors have to identify specific organs and the use that information to "suck them out," if you will. My logic is that the sensors are highly sophisticated but are perhaps unable to maintain clear readings at more than 10-20 meters.

Also, perhaps the weapon must be used to immobilize the "donor" before organs can be taken. In this case range is not so much an issue as the victim can be stunned and the Vidiians can approach, taking their time and doing it right.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

mactavish out.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mactavish:
    Please note that this is only a working draft. I personally think that it needs a LOT of work (particularly with the game mechanics), but I thought you might like to see it. Please comment and suggest possible changes.</font>
    Actually, Mac, if you check All Our Yesterdays, they have guidelines on the use of skills with more or less advanced technology (page 65), and also have a Primitive Disadvantage (Page 75), which could be modified to work for Advanced Species as well (or a variant advantage...).

------------------
    Doug Burke

McCoy: "You're taking me to the promised land?"
    Kirk: "That's what you get for missing staff meetings, Doctor."

The Final text of the Vidiian template is now online on Http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk/vidiians.htm

Its still only a 44point template, but I am happy with it, so it appears the Kazone got their surplus...

Feedback is appreciated

------------------
    Dan.

Perrryyy Guest

Thumbs up

Nice work, Dan! and thanks for the plug
    Any thoughts on the Ocampans or Talaxians?

------------------
    Impossibilities are merely things which we have not yet learned. — Charles W. Chesnutt