Thread: Was the Ascendant class Forgotten?

Post Was the Ascendant class Forgotten?

Hey Steve was the Ascendant class Explorer forgotten, destroyed or replaced by the new Andoria class explorer?

Here's what happened on that, basically. It's a two-step process:

1. When I pulled out the initial list of ships from my TPOF draft, I was working from an earlier version that didn't include the Ascendant.

2. Later on, while reviewing TPOF, I discovered the omission. At that point I already had plenty of Explorers, all but one of them canon, so I just left it off.

I think someone has posted, or is working on, their own version of this ship, though.

Steve Long

I should add that, given that there's already an Andromeda-class Explorer, having an Ascendant, too, sounds kind of odd to me, given the name of the ship in the current UPN sci-fi show, Andromeda-- the Andromeda Ascendant.

Those of you who watch that show may have noted they have some pretty damn cool names for their ships.

Steve Long

Darn right about that Steve (except, Andromeda is syndicated, not on UPN. It probably is on the UPN affiliate in your area of the country, though).

Ship names:

Andromeda Ascendant
    Eureka Maru
    Eightfold Path
    Renewed Valor
    Crimson Eclipse
    Starry Wisdom
    Pax Magellanic
    Majestic Prow
    Continuation of Politics
    Fires of Orion

[This message has been edited by Caretaker (edited 02-15-2001).]

There was also a Commonwealth warship named Continuation of Politics.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Syndication, UPN, whatever -- all I know is that it bumped DS9 off the Saturday night lineup around here. Still, it's a good show; I'm enjoying it.

The Continuation of Politics definitely gets my vote for "Coolest Warship Name Ever."

There was also the Fires of Orion.

Steve Long

Originally posted by Steve Long:
    The Continuation of Politics definitely gets my vote for "Coolest Warship Name Ever."
    I consider it a great reflection of the literacy factor of the show that it took me a full three seconds to pull the quote which created that name from my head, and a poor reflection on the literacy factor of my friends that none of them could remember it at all.

BJ, who should have the original
    class/reason for this thread done
    by Sunday...

[This message has been edited by CmdrBluejeans (edited 12-08-2000).]

Yeah, the Andromeda names are cool - though the ship names in Ian M Banks' Culture books are still the best .

I suppose that you could argue that the other classes are variants of existing classes, e.g. the Ascendant class could be a late-production Ambassador variant, and the Andromeda would be an appropriate name for a Galaxy variant .

------------------
    "...and no, I don't play the bagpipes either!"

It reflects well on the literacy of this board that I didn't have to explain "Continuation of Politics".

I don't mean to sidetrack this topic permanently, but does anyone remember the names of three warships in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? My memory is kind of vague, but I think they were called Audacious, Courageous, and Suicidal Insanity. Anyone care to translate them into Klingon or Andorian?

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

[This message has been edited by Sarge (edited 12-08-2000).]