Thread: warp movement

Question warp movement

Couple of questions:

SD says no turns at warp....why not?

Also discourages warp in system, based on how often we see ships warp in and out of orbit that seems odd....?

TK

Originally posted by toadkiller:
    Couple of questions:

SD says no turns at warp....why not?
    Per pages 98-99, it doesn't say you can't turn at warp -- it just says that it's dangerous. There are direct canon statements that say so; the quote in SD is lifted directly from a comment by Tom Paris (VOY,"Fury").

[i]Also discourages warp in system, based on how often we see ships warp in and out of orbit that seems odd....?[/b]
    Canon statements and actions (from, for example, DS9, "By Inferno's Light," and, IIRC, TNG, "Best of Both Worlds") indicate how dangerous it is to go to warp in a solar system. The dangers of going to warp in an atmosphere are, I think, obvious.

I'm not so sure that we've seen all that many examples of ships traveling at warp through solar systems, much less leaving orbit at warp. Maybe we occasionally see one leave that way -- which I would argue is either a dramatic convention, or an example of heroic characters succeeding with their Tests -- and on at least one occasion (Star Trek IV) we saw one warp out of an atmosphere. Given other canon statements, common sense, and additional factors, I attribute any examples of ships warping through atmospheres/solar systems as damn sloppy writing on the part of the Trek writers (gosh, what a shock!).

I stand by SD's rules on this point as correct statements of the way things are and should be. Naturally, if you want to have a ship warp out of a system for dramatic effect, do it, and forget about making any Tests. If you disagree with my reasoning, follow the "Of Cannons and Canon" principle and just cross whatever you don't like right out.

Steve Long

Livonia, Michigan, US; Holder of the Steve Long Pink Elephant for SRM Volume 2: The Cardassian Empire Testreading

Basically, according to TMP, in-system warp dangerous, rarely done, and can have disasterous consequences (of course, not having the plasma mix configured properly will also cause problems...)

------------------
    This is our last, best hope for peace? We are so screwed.