Thread: Talon-class preview?

Post Talon-class preview?

Hi, Steve,
    I'm about to start a new camapign, Star Trek: JAG, where the PCs are a Special Investigations Team working for the JAG office. I was going to give them a danube-class, mainly for locomption, since they are attached to no ship or starbase in particular. However, as one of my players stated, the danube-class is not a veru strong craft in a fight. Although combat will not be the primary focus of the camapign, they will face one every once in a while. While looking at a comparative ship chart, I found out that the talon-class is about the same size as a runabout. Since the first session is this Sunday, and I don't think the SRM will be posted by then, I would like to ask if you could post a preview of the Talon-class. You don't need to post everything, a basic template, like the ones in the core rules would suffice.
    Thanks anyway.

------------------
    "As long as you can laugh, you are not
    defeated."

–- Jack Vance

Well, the Talon is no better than a Danube...

Check the standard template tactical systems.

Talon Class:
    Type V Phasers
    Type IV Microtorpedos
    Defensive Shields 40/50

Danube Class:
    Type VI Phasers
    Microtorpedo Launcher
    Defensive Shields 30/45

+ The top mounted Photon Torpedo Launcher.

I have been telling my group for ages that the Talon is a scout ship and not a Tactical craft...

Besides, a Danube is far more suitable for a group of JAG officers, what with its larger interior, its own conference lounge, etc...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts froma random mind!"

Dan is right; in most ways, the Talon is not as powerful or flexible as a Danube. It's a dedicated Scout craft, whereas a runabout has more flexibility.

If you still want it, though, or some ideas on ships that would work well for you, drop me a private e-mail (SteveL1979@aol.com) and we'll figure things out.

Or, you can simply use the basic Starship Template for the Talon on p. 149 of the ST:TNG Players' Guide. The SRM version isn't entirely based off of that -- I have more sources of info than Lou did, I think -- but it's close enough for guv'mint work.

Steve Long

[This message has been edited by Steve Long (edited 12-09-2000).]

Thanks, Dan and Steve.

Flexibility was the main reason I went for the runabout, but the tactical issue was bugging me. Anyway, I might stick with the runabout.

I will contact you over mail Steve. Thanks again.

------------------
    "As long as you can laugh, you are not
    defeated."

–- Jack Vance