Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper for printing spacedock?

Question Paper for printing spacedock?

I was wondering if anybody knew of a good brand and type of paper to do double sided printing with an ink-jet printer?

And a source too maybe, CompUSA? Best Buy? Office Max? Staples?

Cost is a factor too

I have had quite satisfactory results with Office Max house brand ("Max Brite") "premium quality" copier paper, at $3.19 per 500 sheets.

------------------
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

I just printed it out on my laser printer, then spent about $18 to double-sided copy it and have it coil-bound.

Steve Long

Man, I wish I had a laser printer!

------------------
    "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."
    -Chang (ST VI)

Greetings!

I'm not sure if the price will be the same outside Duluth, but I had OfficeMax print (double-sided) and bind my copy for $21.50. It's worth a call to see if your local OfficeMax will do the same. The money you save in toner/ink alone is worth $20.

Rick

I never thought about having someone else do the printout. That's not hard to do with a PDF on a Zip disk, I guess. Good suggestion, Rick.

As for laser printers, yes, I love my laser printer. It's pretty much necessary for my work, though. I'm currently toying with the idea of getting a color laser printer -- mainly so I can print Campaign Cartographer maps in color -- but at this point I think they're still a bit beyond my means.

Steve Long

For an Inkjet, I would recommend Weyrhouser inkjet bond in 20 pound weight. It's somewhat less expensive than HP's inkjet paper and is about as good. If you're going to do double sided printing with your inkjet I would suggest that you print the document no more than twenty (20) pages at a time so as not to overload your output tray or the printer buffer.

------------------
    "Any society which is willing to surrender essential liberties in order to gain security, shall in the end have neither."

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Mig1:
    To be honest, I wasn't sure anybody would take this thread seriously.
    Hey! This is SPACEDOCK! Everything about it is serious!

------------------
    In spite of the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?

Thanks guys, if my local OfficeMax or Kinko's doesn't do double sided color printing, either at all, for any reasonable price, I'll grab some of that Max Brite paper.

To be honest, I wasn't sure anybody would take this thread seriously.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Hey what about those of us who don't have zip drives, and all we got is a 1.44 Meg floppy, besides the CD-Rom, and Hard Drive?

------------------
    "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."
    -Chang (ST VI)

Use Winzip, multiple floppy disk archive, and have 5 or 6 floppies ready .

Okay, I just picked up a shiny new Tektronix color laser printer and printed out the coolest document I could find: SPACEDOCK, of course.

Now, as much as I hate to toot my own horn, this looks utterly fantastic!

If anyone gets a chance to print this out in color, on something other than a bubble jet, you should do so. It's really awesome!

Don

Thumbs up

I printed mine on my inkjet on Avery color rich plus inkjet paper(Avery 3145). Its coated on both sides and at 720dpi it looks fantastic.

I printed mine on one of the $22,000 printers they have at work -- IIRC, it's a Canon BJC-6000, but that could be the printer my parents have at their home ...

I know that some Kinko's have computers with 'net access, and the ability (sometimes) to print and bind .pdf files. You might want to consider going to a Kinko's and having them do it.

And no, before you ask, I don't work at Kinko's, and I can't get you a copy -- We have to charge 40 cents per page, and 198 pages is close to $80 ...

Eric

Yeah, we have a Techtronix Phaser 780 Plus at work too.

Very sweet. BUT I don't want to rip off the company becuase the cost-per-page is very high.

I am thinking I may print the front cover on the Phaser though. Maybe on some heavier stock. Then print the rest of the book using our document center.

I don't know what I am going to do. I printed out the first half that way, but all single sided.

That is one slow printing document