Thread: Medical Facilities

That sounds more like the setup for a hospital ship rather than a standard vessel. If you look at the Galaxy design, which is after all designed to accomodate families, it has only a single class 10 medical facility.

Swampy

Smile

It's such a good idea for handling medical vessels that I'll have a design on the way in an hour or so.

Swampy

Cool

Except if you look at the ST Fact Files, in the deck plans for Deck 6 of the Enterprise-D, the actual medical facility covers a sizeable portion of Deck 12 - the facility we see on the screen is on the starboard side; on the port side, there is an identical unit "mirrored". These are both attached to a main patient ward with 18 beds, a pair of 5-bed triage facilities, 2 surgical suites (which we saw in "Ethics"), 8 isolation wards, a physical therapy unit (again see in "Ethics"), an overflow ICU, a biohazard ICU and a trauma stasis unit. The sickbay we see on-screen is really just Crusher's office and the "first stop" for people coming into sickbay. Call it an "Assessment Unit" if you will (the triage units would be used for bigger situations).

Critically ill patients are apparently placed in the Assessment Unit as well, to be under the CMO's watchful eye at all times.

"My" version of a Galaxy class has two level 10 facilities and a level 8 (the main ward).

I like the idea, however, of having first-aid stations around the ship; makes a lot of sense.

------------------
    "May I find you with peace, and leave you with hope."

Arrow

One more point I forgot to mention the Foch is capable of carrying a 1050 person Ground Force Expeditionary Unit (GEU). Thus the larger than normal medical needs in cases of heavy causualty situations (One of the Aux. Sickbays is actually planned as the GEU's medical infirmery.)

And Thanks for the mentioning about the D's deck plans I have never been able to figure out where people got this Dr. Crusher country MD image with her little old office on the Enterprise.

Question

I know that the deckplans don't show it and the Tech manual doesn't mention it, but there is surely a sickbay in the battle section of the Enterprise.

In 'Generations' we saw Doc. Crusher and Nurse Ogawa evacuate patients from sickbay before the saucer separated. That implies they were in the battle section.

------------------
    Greg

"Calm may work for Locutus of Borg here, but I'm freaked and intend to stay that way."

Red face

Greg!
    There you go! Confusing the story by putting facts in it!

Excellent pick! I'd never even considered that before, but you're absolutely right! I doubt it would be the huge thing on Deck 12, but there would certainly be a miniature down in the battle-section.

Makes sense, of course. If the ship was separated for a fight, you're more likely to have casualties in the bit that's doing the fighting!

For Generations, it made perfect sense that the main medical staff were in the engineering-hull sickbay: the BoP was targeting engineering, so it is logical the medical staff would relocate to here so casualties wouldn't have to travel as far.

Thanks for the idea, Greg!

------------------
    "May I find you with peace, and leave you with hope."

There ought to be a first aid station right next to the bridge, too. That would be a good excuse to keep the PC doctor close by when all the action is happening on the bridge. Maybe the briefing room could do double duty as an emergency first-aid station. Just pull some medical equipment out of the cabinets and lay out the patient on the table. Wesley can wipe up the bloodstains before the next staff meeting.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Originally posted by Greg Smith:
    I know that the deckplans don't show it and the Tech manual doesn't mention it, but there is surely a sickbay in the battle section of the Enterprise.

The Deck plans shows the main medical facilities are on deck 12. Every other deck does have medical facilities, But their refered to as aid stations. These are not pointed out, but can be found useing the key. But I doubt that these facilities are manned at all times, but I think they are used as a base of operations for medical teams or cross trained personnel during alerts.

Livonia, Michigan, US; Holder of the Steve Long Pink Elephant for SRM Volume 2: The Cardassian Empire Testreading

Originally posted by Sarge:
    There ought to be a first aid station right next to the bridge, too. That would be a good excuse to keep the PC doctor close by when all the action is happening on the bridge. Maybe the briefing room could do double duty as an emergency first-aid station. Just pull some medical equipment out of the cabinets and lay out the patient on the table. Wesley can wipe up the bloodstains before the next staff meeting.

Actually, supposedly somewhere on the bridge hidden in a wall is a medical kit.. Close enough?

------------------
    It's is our last, best hope for peace? We are so screwed.

Arrow Medical Facilities

Has anybody really gone all out to give their ship full medical facilities? I mean on the Foch I have a Main Sickbay w/rating of 10 a Family Health Center (Another name for sickbay) at a rating of 7 both have EMHs, 2 Auxillary Sickbays at a rating of 5 and 10 first aid stations at a rating of 1 this does not included the extra one hundred basic crew quarters I installed as hospital bedrooms. All on a size 8 ship.