Thread: Initiative and dodging

Post Initiative and dodging

Hey i am new at ST:TNG RPG, and i have just ended the reading of the manual.
    I have a question, it is possible to parry or dodge an attack from someone who act first?Or if someone win the intiative he will surely attack you at the first action??

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Smile

Hi and welcome to the boards!

Your opponent will not necessarily attack first - the beauty of winning initiative is that you get to act first. This means that your action from winning initiative could be to simpy see what your opponent does, and react accordingly.

eg: you have two men, A and B. Both are armed with a phaser and are ready to start a fire-fight with each other. A wins initiative, and waits to see what B does. B fires, and A dodges out of the way with no penalty. Had A fired first and missed, then he would have had a penalty to dodge B's return fire (this now falls under the general heading of multiple actions).

To answer your first question: you certainly can dodge or parry someone's attack, and you can do this at any time. However, you will then incur a multiple-action penalty if you wish to do other things (like return the attack)...but not dodging or parrying will make it easier for your opponent to hit you.

Hope this helps...if only a little.

------------------
    "...and more controversial than Oolon Colluphid's trilogy of philosophical blockbusters Where God went Wrong, Some More of God's Greatest Mistakes, and Who is this God Person Anyway?"
    - The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams (dec.)

So if a act first and attack b and b wants to dodge he do that in the istant that A attack, also if A acts first?

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Pretty much, as I understand it. Given that A wins initiative: his action is to attack B. B, now acting after A (it's a fine line, but one I would allow in my game), dodges A's attack. If B wished to immediately counter-attack, he would then incur a penalty for his action as per the Multiple Actions rules. If A wanted to dodge B's counter-attack, A would then also incur a penalty.

Of course, this is only my interpretation of the rules. Other people might have different ideas which work for them...

------------------
    "...and more controversial than Oolon Colluphid's trilogy of philosophical blockbusters Where God went Wrong, Some More of God's Greatest Mistakes, and Who is this God Person Anyway?"
    - The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams (dec.)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul:
    Pretty much, as I understand it. Given that A wins initiative: his action is to attack B. B, now acting after A (it's a fine line, but one I would allow in my game), dodges A's attack. If B wished to immediately counter-attack, he would then incur a penalty for his action as per the Multiple Actions rules. If A wanted to dodge B's counter-attack, A would then also incur a penalty.

Of course, this is only my interpretation of the rules. Other people might have different ideas which work for them...

</font>
    That's pretty much how I understand the rules as well.

------------------
    Captain Daniel Hunter
    CO NCC-74600, U.S.S. Intrepid
    Star Trek: Intrepid

Ditto. That's how we do it, too.

Thank you for you answers!
    I think i got it!
    ))
    If you have nay other suggestion...you are welcome, however i think in the next weeks i will do many many question!
    Bye!