Thread: Anyone got a canon cannon?

Post Anyone got a canon cannon?

Arrh!
    *Mayday, mayday*

I am desperately trying to find out exactly what weapons a Danube-class runabout carries. Every source I check seems to differ, and I was just wondering if anyone could set me straight - I'm redoing the Danube-class in Spacedock, and I'm trying to figure out what goes where.

Now, from what I can gather, the two little "stub-wings" sticking out on either side of the fuselage, forward of the nacelle-roots and slightly aft of the cockpit, are phaser emitters - does anyone know what type? The ST: Fact Files gives them as Type II (??!!??), but also is wildly inaccurate on the size of the thing - and I frankly don't trust it as a source.

Also, do they come with torpedoes (as they do according to the ST:Fact Files), or do torps have to be mounted in the "strap-on" pallet mounted above the hull?

Thanks, guys...

------------------
    "May I find you with peace, and leave you with hope."

According to the DS9 core book, the Danube Class Runabout has Type VI Phasers, with arrays located fv, fd, av, ad, and one on each nacelle. It also sports a Microtorpedo Launcher, built into the "sensor pallet" below the cockpit. Lastly, it can be fitted with a Torpedo Module, which fires four torpedos.

That's as close to canon as I think you'll find. Mind you, I don't have the DS9 Tech manual, which likely has "strictly" canon info for the Runabout.

LQ

------------------
    "No one controls me. I'm uncontrollable. The only one who can control me is me... and that's just barely possible!" -John Lennon

[This message has been edited by Liquidator Queeg (edited 12-16-2000).]

Sorrym Queeg, but you're wrong... I did a fair bit of research on the Danube, since my company, Millennia Models Int'l, makes a detail set for the AMT/Ertl kit. The Runabout has 6 phaser emitters - two on the aft belt line panel, one on the upper forward surface of each nacelle, and one on each of the stubby thruster quadrant "wings." The objects on the underside of the nacelle which mirror the shape of the phaser strips aren't phasers.

I listed them as Type V in my writeup in the Utopia Planitia area of this site, since shuttles carry Type IV. LUG's official stats (which came out later) give them as Type VI. The DS9 TM doesn't give the type at all. I regard LUG's version as an upgrade for my campaign's purposes.

The strap-on mount, by the way, is a long-range sensor pallet, NOT a weapons pod.

Thumbs up

I stand corrected.

Like I said, my only source for info was the DS9 core book. According to LUG (or at least implied in the description), the strap-on mount is a torpedo module. I like the sensor pallet module better though.

Trust the learned pro modeller, young Padawan. He is wise in the ways of the Ship.

LQ

------------------
    "No one controls me. I'm uncontrollable. The only one who can control me is me... and that's just barely possible!" -John Lennon

[This message has been edited by Liquidator Queeg (edited 12-17-2000).]

Originally posted by Liquidator Queeg:

Trust the learned pro modeller, young Padawan. He is wise in the ways of the Ship.

Don't centre on your weapons-pod, Queegie-Wan. Keep your attention here, and now, where it belongs

But Master Long says I should should be mindful of LUG Canon

But not at the expense of modelling facts. Be mindful of the
    living Ship...

Oops...wrong genre!

Thanks for the help, guys - I think I'm gonna have to make a new upgrade to the Danube and give it a couple of torps, though - otherwise the Crew won't survive their first encounter!

------------------

Well, as Queeg pointed out, it does carry the mini Photorps as standard equipment. For a dangerous mission, you can simply swap out one of the payload modules and put in one with a photorp launcher. However, if you're constantly needing heavier weapons, yuo should look at using a different ship. The Runabout isn't a gunboat.

Nah...it's only going to be in the opening scene of my campaign (which I will eventually start!!) - the Crew are four new Ensigns, just assigned to the USS Bellerophon (Intrepid-class) at the end of the Dominion War (about a month after the armistace).

En-route to their new posting, they catch a distress call from a Federation colony under attack, and discover a Jem'Hadar attack ship shooting the s**t out of the colony from orbit (this is why I was posting the "What are their chances?" thread on the mailing list). The JH ship is actually damaged, and its torpedoes are nowhere near a normal yield, which'll give 'em a bit of an advantage (this ties in to the 2-part episode's main plot).

I'm actually really happy with the adventure itself, and as soon as I get it written up properly (instead of just on plot cards!), I'll be submitting it - I reckon it's pretty cool! 8)

Thanks for the help!

------------------

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton:

The strap-on mount, by the way, is a long-range sensor pallet, NOT a weapons pod.
    In one of the Maquis episodes the DS9 crew takes three runabouts after the Maquis. They each have a module strapped to the top. One (Dax'x) has a sensor pallet, another has a torpedo pallet. They look different, and the torpedo one (Sisko's, IIRC) definitely fires torpedoes from the pallet.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

The roll bar torp launcher actually fires full size torps right?

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

That's what I'm gonna use. Looking at the scale, I can imagine it could easily hold 4 full-sized photon torpedoes and their associated launch "stuff".

To me, the Danube-class was designed to be flexible (as evidenced by the swap-out module amidships) - it makes sense that you could use the roll-bar to hold sensors, weapons, scientific-analysis gear, fuel, or probes depending on the type of mission.

IMC, the USS Rhine is going into a hostile environment, where renegades are an increasing problem (not to mention piracy and privateering), so it makes sense that it would be equipped with a few photons "just in case".

------------------