Thread: Toned-down Defiant - whaddya think?

Post Toned-down Defiant - whaddya think?

Just trying to get a feel for an idea I've had.

With the end of the Dominion War, and the (apparent) scaling back of the Borg threat, can anyone see Starfleet continuing with production of the Defiant-class as a full-on warship?

I was thinking they might re-evaluate the design, chop the weapons back a bit (fit with photon torpedoes instead of quantum, replace the power-hungry pulse phasers with standard emitters), cut down the power output, forget about the ablative armour, and maybe increase the scientific & living-condition quality of the ship.

The idea being, of course, that the Defiant-class could be quickly upgraded during wartime, but during peace-time, it could function as a long-range scout-ship or perimeter patrol vessel.

Whaddya think?

IMHO I think the Defiant can't be scaled back it would just be to cost prohibitive.
    As for production well certainly afew more to fill the war gap losses since its a small vessel and relatively easily to construct.

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

I doubt they would modify existing ships. They might take a page from the Andorians and build new ships with Type X phasers rather than pulse phasers... and the type of torpedo fired is dependant on what's loaded in the torpedo bay. In peacetime they might not issue Quantum Torps, loading out the ship with standard Photon Torps.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

Question

Originally posted by calguard66:
    I doubt they would modify existing ships. They might take a page from the Andorians and build new ships with Type X phasers rather than pulse phasers...
    Apologies if this is common knowledge - but where does the Andorian bit come from?

------------------

TK

From "Among the Clans: The Andorian Sourcebook". The Andorian Defence Forces have a small vessel called the Atlirith-Class, which they basically designed around the Defiant plans. It's the same size and has ablative armour and quantum torps. It mounts Type X phasers and is a pretty mean little puppy. It also routes the main EPS conduits through the nose section so that they explode if the ship rams anything, causing extra damage!

------------------
    "Captain? Is something wrong?"

"I just had the most terrible news. I have to attend the Annual Admirals' Dinner.
    I've faced Borg, Romulans and battle-crazed Jem'Hadar, but nothing compares to this."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest

Interesting! and how would they've come across with this data?

As for defiants maybe use the frame and drop some of the heavy duty stuff ablative,quantum etc.

------------------

Starfleet and the ADF share technology, given that Andoria is a member world. The Andorians presumably have access to all Starfleet ship schematics. If I recall, even the ships of the Vulcan Defence Forces are based round Starfleet specs to allow interchange of parts or personnel more readily. Given the impressive skills of the ADF personnel (any given officer will be as well-trained as his Starfleet equal), I'm not surprised Starfleet doesn't mind sharing tech with them - they're a valuable ally!

------------------
    "Captain? Is something wrong?"

"I just had the most terrible news. I have to attend the Annual Admirals' Dinner.
    I've faced Borg, Romulans and battle-crazed Jem'Hadar, but nothing compares to this."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest

Well thats wahat you get when you dont have the Andorian book
    Was on backorder then told out of print!

------------------

I tried a toned-down Defiant with U.S.S. H.G. Wells a lost in time sort of game. Wells was an Starfleet experiment to see if toning down would work.

It worked fairly well, mainly because of how recognizable the ship was. However, it also became apparent that the design really wasn't too well suited for exploration.

For gaming purposes, if I ever need to put players on a small-crewed exploration ship, I'll probably use a Nova or Oberth.

Originally posted by Dan Stack:
    For gaming purposes, if I ever need to put players on a small-crewed exploration ship, I'll probably use a Nova or Oberth.

I agree - it's just that there are sooo many Defiant deckplans, cutaways, station-diagrams and such that I'm trying to come up with an excuse so I can make use of them without putting junior characters on Starfleet's toughest warship!

I like the Oberth idea, though - I've even got a neat little Micromachine Grissom I could use in combat simulations!

Now, if I could just find some deckplans for one, I'd be happy!

------------------
    "May I find you with peace, and leave you with hope."

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Originally posted by SIR SIG:
    Well thats wahat you get when you dont have the Andorian book
    Was on backorder then told out of print!
    I'll check at my local store and see if they have any copies left on the shelf...if they do, I'll mail it to you...for a price.

------------------
    Why do banks charge you an "insufficient funds" fee on money they already know you don't have?

That would be very nic Paul.
    I usually go through Military Simulations for all my gaming needs local stores cant do.
    But if they cant get it, then it leaves me high and dry unless a quick trip to Brisbane!

------------------