Thread: Clarification: How Many Impulse Drives?

Question Clarification: How Many Impulse Drives?

I'm a bit confused on the impulse drive issue. The text says that there are four impulse engines in one main impulse engine. The box says that the cost is per main impulse engine. Does this mean you only need one MIE?

------------------
    Tony Fanchi
    Scotty "Laddy, don't you think you should rephrase that?"
    Korax "You're right. I didn't mean to say the Enterprise should be hauling garbage, I meant to say it should be hauled away as garbage!"
    [The Trouble With Tribbles/Trials and Tribbilations]

When you buy an "impulse engine" off of the table, you're actually buying an MIE of four linked impulse engines. Sometimes these engines are split up, so that you've got two on the port side of the ship, and two starboard, but that still only counts as one "impulse engine" (MIE) for purchasing purposes.

Is that clearer? If not, keep asking, and I'll try to answer.

Steve Long

To give a canon Trek example of what Steve is saying - look at the saucer of the Enterprise-D. It has impulse exhausts either side, for use when the ship is separated. Under the SD rules, this counts as one MIE (two impulse engines on either side). Likewise, Voyager has an impulse exhaust on each warp nacelle pylon, but (I'd assume) only one MIE according to the stats.

------------------
    "Captain? Is something wrong?"

"I just had the most terrible news. I have to attend the Annual Admirals' Dinner.
    I've faced Borg, Romulans and battle-crazed Jem'Hadar, but nothing compares to this."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest

Smile

That covers it. Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Question

So would that mean that the Galaxy-class actually has two Impulse Engines? There are the twin exhausts on the saucer, and also the (Primary) exhaust on the neck just above the secondary hull...

------------------
    Why do banks charge you an "insufficient funds" fee on money they already know you don't have?

The Galaxy class does indeed have two impulse engines. One is located in the Engineering hull. One is located in the saucer section. The one in the saucer section is split in two, with half (two) of its four fusion reactors located on the aft of the saucer to port, and half to starboard. Together those two "halves" make one whole impulse engine.

There's more detail on pp. 75-76 of the TNGTM if you're interested.

Steve Long

Come to think of it, the TNG Tech Manual says something about the saucer engines providing extra thrust when the ship is in the docked configuration. Under SD rules, the second engine doesn't improve the speed of the ship (which I think is a good move), but why not throw in a rule that the first (and first only) extra impulse engine on a ship counts as a +1 Acceleration Uprating package? If the Enterprise fires both engines together, it'll reach top speed faster...

------------------
    "Captain? Is something wrong?"

"I just had the most terrible news. I have to attend the Annual Admirals' Dinner.
    I've faced Borg, Romulans and battle-crazed Jem'Hadar, but nothing compares to this."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest

Well, it says that reaching speeds above .75c "may" require using the extra thrust from the second engines. That doesn't necessarily imply better acceleration or the like. I will certainly consider simulating this effect, but by and large I think the system's probably complex enough without adding a rule for a "may" sort of situation like that.

Steve Long

Cool

So, I guess this means the Akira has two impulse engines as well. The exhausts on either side of the primary hull and the pair at the back of the booms? Darn! I need to go back and see if I got that right...

(...goes to "starting up an Akira", comes back...)
    Yup, got it right. I did notice that I forgot a self destruct mechanism though. Have to add that now...
    ------------------
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Powers (edited 12-27-2000).]