Thread: Crew complement problem

Post Crew complement problem

Help!!!!! .....ok ok

I'm making a Klingon Heavy warship... it size is 8 and has 2750 SU's now to determin the crew ...so we assume the ship is an explorer and there is 36 crew per 100 SU's correct?... now if you look in the back of space dock there is a sheet of klingon Vorcha class with the same SU's but they have a crew of 1900 ..... well if you take 2750 divided by 100 SU that equals 27.5 . 27.5 times 36 (crew) that equals 990 crew... please help me figure this out thanks.

------------------
    Korga =/\=

I'm Drunk of Borg Resistance is Floortile.

Talking

Korg, I think that there's a little of 'play' when it come to 'docking' alien ships(in this case, the Klingons). I mean look at the Klingons (and the Dominion, Jem Hadar, and some what the Romulans): they are a war-like race, there for they would increase their crew complement a bit more then Fed. ships (I'm willing bet Steve will cover this, when he get's to the the Klingon SRM...I hope ).
    Basically, wing it; find an increasing precentage you like (125%, 115%, 105%...) and use it. (Just remember, 'Bunk Beds' )

------------------
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Good question, Korga. There are several factors to take into account here.

1. The listed crew complement figures are averages. Some ships deviate much higher from that, and some much lower. David Rosson, one of the playtesters, came up with some extensive and elaborate crew calculations -- far too extensive to put in the book -- which I boiled down to that one table. So, don't feel bound to the listed figures by chains of duranium; use them as guidelines.

2. The table primarily applies to Starfleet vessels. Other species may differ, and I intend to cover those differences in future SRMs. For example, the SRM #2: Cardassians, which I am almost done writing, has a Cardassian-specific "Crewmembers per 100 SUs" table (one not far different from Starfleet). The Klingons and Romulans will get their own such tables, too, and both will skew higher than Starfleet or the Cardies, based on the crew figures from the DS9TM.

3. Canon and quasi-canon trumps average figures every time. The crew figures for the Vor'cha come from the DS9TM.

I hope that clarifies things.

Steve Long

Also, consider that other races tend to use more personnel than Starfleet anyway. Look at your average Klingon ship - one officer mans weapons, another shields - two people doing the job that a single Tactical officer on a Fed ship does. For a warlike species, it makes sense - one untimely casualty doesn't stop you operating both shields AND weapons.

------------------
    "Captain? Is something wrong?"

"I just had the most terrible news. I have to attend the Annual Admirals' Dinner.
    I've faced Borg, Romulans and battle-crazed Jem'Hadar, but nothing compares to this."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest