Thread: New Fighting Style - need critism

Exclamation New Fighting Style - need critism

School of the Retiarius – Experts with the attack using two weapons (the net and trident) the Retiarius is an expectant participant of any games and woe to the patron who sponsors them with out. Usually wearing only Galerus armor (which see) the Retiarius depends on speed and reaction to survive. By using complex multiple actions at once the Retiarius has a high ability to dodge and react to his opponents moves and thrust.

Basic Maneuvers
    Net Fling
    Difficulty 7
    Damage –
    The Retiarius simply hopes to entangle the opponent somewhere on there limbs gaining a+2 advantage to trident thrust test roll.
    Trident Thrust
    Difficulty 6
    Damage +2

Trident Block
    Difficulty 7
    Damage –
    The Retiarius uses the trident to block his opponents thrust

Advance Maneuvers
    Leg Catch
    Difficulty 9
    Damage –
    The Retiarius flings his net toward the opponents shin or ankle in an attempt to tangle it and unbalance him pulling him on to his back follows with a trident Thrust maneuver gaining a +2 bonus on the trident thrust with a damage of +3.

Arm Catch
    Difficulty 8
    Damage –
    Similar to the leg catch, the Retiarius attempts to entangle the opponents arm (usually the one armed with the Sword) pulling it away so he can attack with the trident in the unprotected exposed area follows if successful with trident Thrust with damage of +1.

Net Block
    Difficulty 7
    Damage –
    Essentially an Arm catch the Retiarius uses the net to block an opponents thrust toward him follows with trident thrust with +2 added to difficulty and –1 to damage.

Special Techniques: Net throw (-1 to net fling difficulty for every five feet attempted up to 15 feet); Sword break follows a Trident block with a difficulty modified to 9

Requirements: Athletics (Running) 2(3), Dodge 2, Primitive Weaponry (Net) 2 (3); +1 Reaction edge or a Retiarius with 5 victories to their credit.

The Fuxina – Fishermen’s Trident
    The trident used by the Retiarius is a very good weapon to parry a sword attack with and even to either break or force out the sword in the opponent’s hands. Usually made of a wooden handle and metal tip, some versions for decorative ceremonial reasons were made of gold or other precious metal. The Fuxina grants -1 modifier to Dodge a Fuxina but +1 to parry or block. This weapon to use untrained gives a –2 modifier for all rolls. In a pinch the Fuxina could be used as a thrown weapon.
    Range: 3/10/15/20
    Size: 1.8 meters in length
    Mass: 2.1 kg
    Block: +1
    Damage: 4+2d6

Iaculum – net
    The Retiarius used a weighted net of 8 to 12 feet in diameter, when thrown and if it hits it target, usually the opponent’s body, it will immobilize the opponent, making him unable to attack or parry, each round until they pass a strength test.
    Range: 2/5/10/15
    Size: 4 to 7 meters in diameter
    Mass: .10 – 1.3 Kg
    Block: +1
    Damage – (a drama die result of 6 might yield a –1 1d6 amount of damage from the weights on the net hitting the opponent)

Galerus
    A mix Armor made of leather and bronze elements it was worn on the Retiarius’s arm. Usually the arm and shoulder from which he used his Fuxina (Trident); when using the optional hit location table any attacks on the exposed Shoulder offers a +12 resistance and those to the arm a +6.
    Size various
    Mass: various

I've fought Roman Legionaires in the SCA, and I think this is a pretty good game mechanic for a gladiator. I'd tweak a few of the difficulty numbers a little for my campaign, though. I'd say leg entrapment should be 8 and arm entrapment should be 9; legs are bigger targets and don't move around as much as arms. I'd also eliminate the 7 difficulty for blocking with the trident; it's not hard to use a spear or glaive to block like a quarterstaff.

Those are just a couple of little nits that I'm picking. I think it's a good package.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Cool

Originally posted by Eric R.:
    Galerus
    A mix Armor made of leather and bronze elements it was worn on the Retiarius’s arm. Usually the arm and shoulder from which he used his Fuxina (Trident); when using the optional hit location table any attacks on the exposed Shoulder offers a +12 resistance and those to the arm a +6.
    Size various
    Mass: various
    Eric,

I really like this, but my problem is why does this armor provide such good resistance? I mean you would have to set a Phaser to Level 6 to do any damage. And, Klingon Armor only has a +3 Resistance, IIRC.

~LL

------------------
    "Resistance is futile...say baby that is a nice tight skirt you have on." --President Clinton of Borg.

Thumbs up

Your right I was only in a mode of thinking of protection from a sword maybe I should specify a 12 only in cases of a sword oo other like weapons.

Originally posted by Eric R.:
    Your right I was only in a mode of thinking of protection from a sword maybe I should specify a 12 only in cases of a sword oo other like weapons.
    Of course I am right. Life will be easier for everyone when they admit I am always right.

Don't worry, jut edit it to include that statement.

~LL

------------------
    "Resistance is futile...say baby that is a nice tight skirt you have on." --President Clinton of Borg.

[This message has been edited by Legate Legion (edited 12-02-2000).]