Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: So, What Now?

Wow the voting is close! Of the top 2, I'd prefer to see Klingons over TOS for the simple assumption that most gaming groups out there aren't playing in the TOS era, so the Klingon book would be more usefull game-wise. (I could be wrong. It's happened before...or so says my wife)

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

Smile

Steve If I've read all your postings correctly, you will have the Klingon battlecruisers and bird of prey as well as the Romulan Bird of Prey in a Threat Vessels chapter of TOS. Right?
    If so may I please change my vote from Klingons to TOS.
    I accept discommedation. I will flee to the Federation and ask for sanctuary.

Originally posted by Cochrane:
    Of course, you all know, there couldn't have been very many ships or classes before the movies. Each specific vessel had a distinct yet simple insignia.
    Not true, the dead crew of the USS Defiant in 'The Tholian Web' and many non-Enterprise officers in 'Court Martial' all wore the 'Enterprise' arrowhead quite prominently.

The different insignia worn by some people in TOS more likely represented different branches of Starfleet rather than different ships.

Officially, it was the intent that all ships in the TOS era had distinct insignia, and it's Paramount's stance today that that was so, and that the arrowhead became standard by the time the Film era arrived. The arrowheads seen on non-Enterprise ships and stations were, of course, a matter of a limited budget at Desilu.

To reconcile the intent with Desilu's budget, I prefer to think that in pre-TOS eras, ships and stations had distinct insignias, and that Starfleet designed the arrowhead as the new standard insignia just prior to the comission of the Enterprise herself. Thus, in TOS, it was just beginning to get around as the standard, and several ships still had their older, unique insignia.

Certainly, though, the existence of unique insignia wouldn't be any kind of limit on the number of ships or classes! It's not like the number of abstract geometric designs is finite. In my old FASAtrek games, designing the insignia (or comissioning a design) was the prerogative of the ship's Captain. Since that was always a PC, it was a fun perk for that player

All right, folks, voting is now CLOSED. Here's the final tally:

TOS: 31
    Klingons: 27
    Romulans: 8
    Kellinan Reach: 6
    DWC: 6
    Other: 1 (Security Handbook)

So, I will work on an SRM: TOS Era next. See below for further information.

The winner of the "get your name in the book" is... Morden! Morden, please e-mail me privately with whatever name you want to appear in the book.

Now, just to head off most questions, here's how I'm going to about this:

1. Prepare a "working draft" of the TOS era ship construction rules. This, in fact, is already done.
    2. Watch all the episodes of TOS to glean useful nuggets of information. (I've already watched one really good movie and six utterly wretched movies for this purpose, when I wrote up the ships for The Final Frontier, and don't intend to repeat the process.)
    3. Review any worthwhile published sources of information I can find.
    4. Revise working draft to add any additional information.
    5. Assemble a group of testreaders to review the revised working draft. Note: when I'm ready for this, I'll post an announcement. I am not seeking volunteers at this time. I do not want any "when you're ready, sign me up!" e-mails. If you send me one, dire consequences, up to and including not being allowed to participate in any testreadings, will result. I may even send a squad of butched-up Tholian legbreakers to teach you a lesson.
    6. The testreaders will review the working draft and comment on it.
    7. I'll revise the working draft again as I see fit, based on testreader commentary.
    8. With the final construction rules in hand, I'll write up the ships for the book.
    9. When I have finished all the ships, I'll submit the full manuscript to the testreaders again, for additional review.
    10. After the testreaders comment, I'll revise the manuscript as I see fit.
    11. I will submit the finished manuscript to Don "the Man" Mappin for layout, unless he's sick of doing it by then.
    12. I will pester Don for progress reports.
    13. When Don finishes the layout, we'll release the book here on TrekRPG.Net.

See? Nice 'n' simple.

Steve Long

Livonia, Michigan, US; Holder of the Steve Long Pink Elephant for SRM Volume 2: The Cardassian Empire Testreading

1. Morden will probably want to be listed as either "Mr. Morden" or, perhaps, "Dr. Morden".
    2. Which TOS movie was the good one, 2 or 6?
    3. Do you really care whether Don is sick or not

------------------
    It's is our last, best hope for peace? We are so screwed.

Originally posted by ArsenicMan:
    2. Which TOS movie was the good one, 2 or 6?
    2, of course. ST2:TWOK is sublimely good, even when stacked against non-Trek action movies. All the rest of them, even 6, pale in comparison.

3. Do you really care whether Don is sick or not
    Indeed, I do. I don't want him (or anyone else) helping me out if they're not enjoying it and finding it, in whatever way, satisfying. Unless you like doing it, it's too much work -- and putting up with my nit-pickiness is too annoying -- to do it for free.

Steve Long

My vote is for all of them but if I have to choose, it would be theese two as my highest priorities.

_X__ Kellinan Reach Sourcebook

__X_ Dominion War Companion (sequel to DWS)

Late as always, I just noticed that this had closed awhile a go, thats what I get for letting my son give the computer a coke 'cause it was thirsty, He is 5 and so is partialy excused.

[This message has been edited by Sevekk (edited 01-08-2001).]

Wink

I'm still going with Orions. We need lots of nubile, sweaty, scantily-dressed Orions...

I mean, uh...heh...