Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: So, What Now?

Klingon

Originally posted by Steve Long:
    In the TOS SRM, will you be including the Gorn & the Orions?

And are their plans for a Gorn & Orion SRMs?

Probably not (on both counts). I am more likely to save both for the SRM: Miscellaneous. I've already got some Orion *Syndicate* vessels written up for it, and have a list of the ships I was going to be writing up for Sky Princes of Orion (LUG's Rigel book) that I can easily now do writeups on. And I've got an illo of one 24th century Gorn ship in ST:TM to use as the basis for the Gorn fleet.

But you never know; I may sneak one or two in, just as a teaser.

Steve Long
    Thank you Steve.

Btw, too bad you can't do any FASA ships, isn't it?

~LL

------------------
    "Resistance is futile...say baby that is a nice tight skirt you have on." --President Clinton of Borg.

Btw, too bad you can't do any FASA ships, isn't it?
    Well, I've never actually seen, much less played games with, any of the FASA ships, so I have no particular emotional investment in 'em. I see their existence as an opportunity for you guys to write up ships you like with whatever TOS ship construction rules I concoct.

Steve Long

Wink

I vote:

Klingon
    klingon
    KLINGON
    K l i n g o n
    K L I N G O N
    The Klingons
    the klingons
    THE KLINGONS
    T h e K l i n g o n s
    T H E K L I N G O N S

Lets see, if I learned anything from the election this year. That is and additional ten votes for the Klingons.

Spence

Cool

I'm already planning on calling for a recount if Klingons don't win

I think my chad's pregnant...

If TOS wins, in the interest of bipartisanship, I think it should be a TOS era Klingon's supplement.

And I did not have sex with that Orion woman!

Originally posted by Identity Crisis:
    So there's no chance of having the freighter and the drone transport from TAS in there as well is there? Not even if we supplied you with pictures and some old fan speculation as to capabilities?)

Well, really, I'd just as soon leave those ships to those of you who are more familiar with 'em. And I definitely do not want to know what the general fan speculation is; even assuming one can discern a unified fan voice on any of these subjects, I'd just as soon stick with my own cock-eyed ideers.

Originally posted by Magnus:
    BTW- Will the TOS book include pointers for Narrarators to build TOS era ships? I know you don't want to risk infringement of any intellectual properties, but the Saladin, and FASA's Loknar, Andor, et. al. are staples in some of my games. I'd like to be able to make consistent versions of them for game use...
    Well, the SRM: TOS, like the forthcoming SRM: Cardassians and other such specific ship books, contains a chapter with construction rules for that particular subject. The SRM: Cardies has about 3,000 words of new construction rules, mainly detailing SU price differences and a few new rules to simulate Cardassian technology.

I fully expect the SRM: TOS to have a lengthy section on ship construction, chock full of new systems and rules and such for building ships from roughly 2063-2293. In fact, I know it does, as I've already got some notes on it. There'll be lots of new systems, each with a noted "availability date" and such. While I'm not going to write up any FASATrek or Franz Joseph ships using those rules, there's no reason you couldn't do so for your own use.

Steve Long

Exclamation

KLINGONS!
    Qalpa'

I vote for the Dominion War Companion. Coolio.

Well, the gap has narrowed. Here's where we stand as of 10:00 AM EST on 01/04/01:

TOS: 28
    Klingons: 27
    Romulans: 8
    Kellinan Reach: 6
    DWC: 6
    Other: 1 (Security Handbook)

Steve

Thumbs up

I vote for TOS - when starship captains were real men, and a ship's counsellor was an oxymoron!

(I'd actually love to see DWC and the Kellinan Reach SB too, but I'm a realist at heart. As for the Klingons, I'm with Don - I've seen too much space-viking stuff already... )

------------------
    "...and no, I don't play the bagpipes either!"

[This message has been edited by Cdr Scot II (edited 01-04-2001).]

I'd like to see what can be done for the TOS setting myself. I say this mainly because we already have some threat ships and other data for the 24th Century/Next Gen setting, but we have very skimpy designs for the TOS era. In the end (for me) it is a matter of the relative scarcity of designs from the TOS era.

I think that you have mentioned several times that you have already begun on some notes for the TOS setting, but one interesting possibility for the TOS manual's Spacedock section (i.e. where you place the modification rules to be used for the era/race in question in designing ships) would be to incorporate not only the TOS-era but also the movie-era technology. There are no replicators or holodecks in either era and the Phasers still work on the 'bank' system according to "Mr.Scott's Guide to the Enterprise". I'd imagine that other than relatively 'better' or 'worse' components both eras could be included with some notations on when it would be appropriate to use the 'better' version of nacelles and such.

e.g. "...nacelle type xii does not appear until the late 2270s, although several older classes were modified to use them after the <insert nasty race here> boarder incursions of 2285..."

Please keep in mind that this is just an idle notion of mine, but then again those always seem to get me into the most trouble. I know that whatever you decide to do as a sourcebook will be both excellent and very much appreciated by myself and all of the others at TrekRPG.net.

John D. Lees
    Mad Political Scientist

I tend to share the assumption that most groups aren't playing games set in the TOS era. However, I don't necessarily think that invalidates an SRM: TOS as a useful sourcebook. Knowing where modern-day stuff came from could be helpful, or long-lost ships could provide scenario nuggets for Narrators running 24th century games. Besides, it'll be fun.

It is my intention to include several TOS-era Klingon, Romulan, etc. ships in the SRM: TOS -- it wouldn't be as good a book without 'em, just like Spacedock would suffer without some non-Starfleet ships. So, your change of vote is duly noted, Kaiddin.

Steve Long

Originally posted by Steve Long:
    Well, as you can all tell, this is pretty much coming down to a Klingons-TOS conflict. As of 01/03/01 at 12:53 PM EST, here's where we stand:

Klingons: 23
    TOS: 27
    Romulans: 7
    Kellinan Reach: 5
    DWC: 5
    Other: 1 (Security Handbook)

So, it remains close, though TOS has yet to give up the lead it took late Monday....

Steve Long
    Hey! Where's my "Go Away" vote?? I wanna recount! Where's my lawyer?

Just kidding. To be honest, I haven't seen anything I haven't wanted yet... I don't really care about the order. I'm greedy, not picky.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

Of course, you all know, there couldn't have been very many ships or classes before the movies. Each specific vessel had a distinct yet simple insignia.

Originally posted by Publius:
    I think that you have mentioned several times that you have already begun on some notes for the TOS setting, but one interesting possibility for the TOS manual's Spacedock section (i.e. where you place the modification rules to be used for the era/race in question in designing ships) would be to incorporate not only the TOS-era but also the movie-era technology. There are no replicators or holodecks in either era and the Phasers still work on the 'bank' system according to "Mr.Scott's Guide to the Enterprise". I'd imagine that other than relatively 'better' or 'worse' components both eras could be included with some notations on when it would be appropriate to use the 'better' version of nacelles and such.

e.g. "...nacelle type xii does not appear until the late 2270s, although several older classes were modified to use them after the boarder incursions of 2285..."
    When I say "TOS Era," let me be clear that I mean the period of roughly 2063-2293 -- not just the five years covered by the original TV show. Of course I'm going to have tech and such from the movies in the book! It would be pointless not to.

My notes in fact include dates of availability for dozens of ship systems. The TOS-Era Phaser Table, for example, will list the year when each model phaser was invented.

Obviously the period 2063-2293 is a pretty big stretch of time, but it's all mostly unknown to us anyway. So, I am planning to paint with a fairly broad brush for earlier times, and focus on the time we know best, 2260-2293. I doubt many people out there are running campaigns set on Daedalus-class Explorers in 2170 or what have you.

Lest anyone think I'm playing favorites here: I also have notes and preliminary material for the SRM: Klingons, SRM: Romulans, KR book, and DWC.

Steve Long