Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pagans in Star Trek

Perrryyy Guest

Question Pagans in Star Trek

Has anyone written a template similar to the Earth-centered spiritual path know as Paganism?

Not wishing to start anything, just curious.

------------------
    Impossibilities are merely things which we have not yet learned. — Charles W. Chesnutt

The DS9 Core Book has a Mystic template which is indended to be used for any religious figure.

------------------
    U.S.S. Icarus

Perrryyy Guest

Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dan Stack:
    The DS9 Core Book has a Mystic template which is indended to be used for any religious figure.

</font>
    True, though I was really looking for something a bit more nature-centric

------------------
    Impossibilities are merely things which we have not yet learned. — Charles W. Chesnutt

You could adapt the Mystic template by reducing some of the oratory skills and replacing them with increased levels of Survival, Herbalism (don't know if this skill exists but you could invent it), etc...

------------------
    "Captain Hunter, you are clearly outgunned. I suggest you surrender your vessel": Romulan Commander Terev, Imperial Warbird Senex

"Cmdr.Terev, you clearly have no idea we're carrying quantum torpedoes. I suggest you duck!": Capt.Matt Hunter, USS Tempest

Cool

Hey Perrry,
    Here is the work I have done on the most prominent of the Pagan-paths. I'm not well up on calculating development points, so there may be some inconsistencies. Sorry in advance. These are the templates I used in my games, assuming very little has changed from 20th century Wicca (though that is probably wrong, as Wicca changes all the time). Hope this helps at all.

WICCAN

Artistic Expression (Poetry) 1 (2)
    Culture (Wiccan Tradition*) 2 (3)
    History (Choose Specialization) 1 (2)
    Theology (Wiccan*) 2 (3)
    Divination (Choose Speciality)<see below> 1(2)
    Theology (Ritual Magick) 2 (3)
    Mythology 2
    Language: Federation 2

*Wicca is an undogmatic religion, and there are many different traditions. These include predominantly Celtic and Egyptian, but also Babylonian, Norse, Greek, etc. At the current time, Wicca is also divided into Alexandrian, Gardnerian, Dianic, etc. which are strictly schools of thought. Many Wiccans follow their own 'school' and combine different traditions (e.g. Celtic/Norse Wiccan)

DRUID/OVATE

Persuasion (Story-telling) 1 (2)
    Culture (Celtic) 2 (3)
    History (Celtic) 1 (2)
    Theology (Druid) 2 (3)
    Divination (Ogham) 1(2)
    Theology (Ritual Magick) 1 (2)
    Life Sciences (Botany) 1 (2)
    Mythology 2

ASATRU

WICCAN

Theology (Seidr/Galdr Magick)* 1 (2)
    Culture (Norse) 2 (3)
    History (Specific Hearth/House) 1 (2)
    Theology (Norse) 2 (3)
    Divination (Runes/Taufr Magick) 1(2)
    Law (Havamal) 1 (2)
    Mythology 2

*Seidr is usually used by females, and Galdr by males.

I've added a skill above; divination (basically, seeing the future via the use of a medium). A successful skill-roll probably wouldn't tell the future, but it would mean a successful ritual, or convincing reading. There's are hundreds of different divination methods. The most prominent in Wicca are; Tarot, Ogham, Runes, Scrying, Mirrors, Crystal Balls, etc.

I've also taken the liberty of treating Magick as a seperate theology. Although a fundamental aspect of a lot of paganism, not all Wiccans necessarily use magic (or understand it). And conversely, not everyone who does magic follows a pagan path. As a result, I feel they are to be treated seperately. But feel free to change this

Runebear

Cool

Hey Perrryyy
    Here is the work I have done on the most prominent of the Pagan-paths. I'm not well up on calcualting development points, so there may be some inconsistencies. Sorry in advance. These are the templates I used in my games, assuming very little has changed from 20th century Wicca (though that is probably wrong, as Wicca changes all the time). Hope this helps at all.

WICCAN

Artistic Expression (Poetry) 1 (2)
    Culture (Wiccan Tradition*) 2 (3)
    History (Choose Specialization) 1 (2)
    Theology (Wiccan*) 2 (3)
    Divination (Choose Speciality)<see below> 1(2)
    Theology (Ritual Magick) 2 (3)
    Mythology 2

*Wicca is an undogmatic religion, and there are many different traditions. These include predominantly Celtic and Egyptian, but also Babylonian, Norse, Greek, etc. At the current time, Wicca is also divided into Alexandrian, Gardnerian, Dianic, etc. which are strictly schools of thought. Many Wiccans follow their own 'school' and combine different traditions (e.g. Celtic/Norse Wiccan)

DRUID/OVATE

Persuasion (Story-telling) 1 (2)
    Culture (Celtic) 2 (3)
    History (Celtic) 1 (2)
    Theology (Druid) 2 (3)
    Divination (Ogham) 1(2)
    Theology (Ritual Magick) 1 (2)
    Life Sciences (Botany) 1 (2)
    Mythology 2

ASATRU

Theology (Seidr/Galdr Magick)* 1 (2)
    Culture (Norse) 2 (3)
    History (Specific Hearth/House) 1 (2)
    Theology (Norse) 2 (3)
    Divination (Runes/Taufr Magick) 1(2)
    Law (Havamal) 1 (2)
    Mythology 2

*Seidr is usually used by females, and Galdr by males.

I've added a skill above; divination (basically, seeing the future via the use of a medium). A successful skill-roll probably wouldn't tell the future, but it would mean a successful ritual, or convincing reading. There's are hundreds of different divination methods. The most prominent in Wicca are; Tarot, Ogham, Runes, Scrying, Mirrors, Crystal Balls, etc.

I've also taken the liberty of treating Magick as a seperate theology. Although a fundamental aspect of a lot of paganism, not all Wiccans necessarily use magic (or understand it). And conversely, not everyone who does magic follows a pagan path. As a result, I feel they are to be treated seperately. But feel free to change this

Runebear

Smile

Hey! Great stuff! Swiped it on sight!
    Generous GM's may consider allowing rolls against Divination and Magick as Psionics based skills with successful results having actual effect. Magick and Trek are not a friendly, comfortable mix, but there is some basis for describing "magical" or "divinatory" experiences as a form of Psionic talent. Or of tapping into the Higher Order "technologies" of the Continuum, or some such other explanation.
    These practices can usually be described as cultural, meditative, or ritual ones in the Trek universe. But I think it might be fun to have a Counselor with a Wiccan background who occasionally uses Tarot/Rune readings to advise the Captain. "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combination" after all!

By the way, looks like I'm going to have to work on my Life Sciences (Botany) rating if I'm going to fill out my Template requirements. Curses. More work for the 'Bob. sigh.

Having swiped them up fast, I've made a change based on the 'Bob...

Any of the magic skills can be replaced by an appropriate psionic skill. Duh, 'Bob just said that. But it could be based on ancient techniques for training the latent psi ability instead of being "magic." And since the knowledge of these abilities would be known to the less talented initiates, actual use would show a "higher" understanding of the deeper meaning (intuitive grasp of the knowledge that those without the psi ability would see as only factual information.)

------------------
    Sit.
    Listen.
    Challenge.
    Learn.

Heya! And here's some rational empiricist ways to explain away all the "hookum", or to justify it, according to GM whim!

Divination? As a Psionic Skill, it is just a ritual for focussing Precognition. For others, The Psionics Institute on Earth describes the effect as being related to certain observed and described Quantum effects. In particle physics, it is already known that future states do have some effect on past and present conditions. Using material foci to interact with future events, or to show the effects of those events can be described through Quantum physics. Causality is not as linear as was previously thought. "Primitive" or "folk" traditions of Divination may in fact be means to unlock access to Quantum effects that can provide hints of what conditions lie ahead in the most probable future.
    For fun Trekisms, howzerbout a Science Officer picking up "a sudden spike in Chronaton field strengths" while that "ditzy" Counselor is using her Tarot deck. A sure clue that something "real" is occuring. Or, howabout different Species having their own Divination practices? Vulcans with engraved metal rods or polished gemstones, tossed into traditonal sand-drawn patterns. Andorian sages who can "read the Bloodfate" of a duelist by examining the splatter patterns on those duel-cloths. I can imagine a Tellarite system that lets the Diviner "argue with Destiny" over the interpretations and outcomes pertaining to the reading. Klingons probably read entrails or blood splatters, Romulans probably have a whole system of omens and harbingers, mostly suppressed for political reasons.

Magick? Well. Quantum also states that all the objects in the observable universe are linked, some arguments claiming that all objects are actually part of a single contiguous whole, which just curves in and through itself in mindbogglingly complicated ways through multiple spacial dimensions. Using ritual to effect a distant object or person is really just finding a way to utilize the subtle Quantum connections that already exist between caster and subject. Also, much of Magick can be described as a science of structuring synchronicities, of injecting pattern into chaotic conditions.
    If you like TAS, you can bring in the whole "Magics of Megas-Tu" notion of there being places and beings that can have spectacular control over quantum effects.

Finally, just for fun, imagine the Ceremonial Magician who draws his Circle of Solomon, invokes and summons like mad, and then winds up with a very unamused Q standing in the middle of the circle. "VERY clever, Monkey-brain. Now. MY turn! This will only hurt for a couple of millenia."

ROFLMAO

That last bit was hilarious.

And the other species relations to magick were quite interesting. I will most DEFINITELY be using this material in my game.

------------------
    Sit.
    Listen.
    Challenge.
    Learn.

What about Chakotay's 'spirit guide'?

I have only limited understand of Wiccan and Pagan ways but it seems that Herbalism would work best as a specialty for either first aid or medical sciences

------------------
    "The best mind-altering drug is truth."
    --Lily Tomlin

Well... Interesting topic... Maybe it's my own life, but I've often liked to intertwine mysticism with relatively 'hard-sci-fi' genres. The operative element is usually to make sure, as a GM, that the players are saying 'Wow, was that magic?' rather than, 'Wow, that was magic!' (or, 'Cripes, where'd that magic come from in a Star Trek game?') ... Early Star Trek left the door open for a lot of things that we'd call 'Magic,' whether as Pagans or whatever. It's called an 'Esper Rating,' which enough humans apparently have to make it worth cataloguing in Starfleet officers. The system (I haven't bought the DS9 book yet, mind you) seems to be geared to work mostly with betazoids, Vulcans, and telepaths. I've found it doesn't apply too well to what modern Pagans think of as magic, nor does it work well with the Andorian sense of praeternatural intuition that forms the main element of their native 'magic' in my continuity.

Playing an actually-magical character in Trek can be difficult, since rolling dice for overt results is more appropriate to fantasy magic than what's real. Combining a low Psi rating and some custom made Advantage that allows certain magical benefits may be the ticket.

Mind you, confusing magic with a religion isn't really the point of fleshing out a character's background... it's just that Pagan faiths (as well as many Eastern and all indigenous ones) didn't suppress belief or study of these things as 'mainstream Western' religion and science have.

Personally, in Trek, the cultural elements seem most interesting... And contemplating what 23rd or 24th century Pagans might do in their daily observances has always been interesting.

One would have to assume a few centuries of development, possibly organization, and certainly, families raised in the traditions longer than, say, Mormons have been in existence. There might well be classicalist temples, longstanding Druidic-run Celtic traditionalist groves, ...and some evolution of the very mutlicultural American Wicca into something respectable, largely accepted, and likely organized, hopefully without the major drawbacks of organization.

Being Pagan myself, most of my human characters are, and their religious culture is simply in the background, informing their decisions (and amazed declamations) and sometimes even throwing a note of environmentalist conspiracy into the legacy of their great grandparents...

In many ways, the very *point* of Star Trek is the notion that the Federation has become a tolerant and vibrant cultural place, and a lot of the current Pagan attitudes that come from having only so recently been able to practice our faith somewhat openly are a distant memory... Imagine what might be built by our children, and theirs... that's part of the fun of Trek.

With the right group, these can be fun issues to explore... I think series canon is intentionally vague on the subject of Earth religions, maybe in an attempt not to leave anyone (American) out.

Just a few thoughts.

I love conspiracies, and the whole question
    of magic(k) with "overt" effects put an idea
    that may (or may not) be silly into my head.

Most human beings have *pathetically* weak
    psionic abilities. But first contact with
    the psionically adept Vulcans took place in
    the middle of the 21st century, about three
    hundred years before the "Next Generation"
    era. Three hundred years works out to,
    roughly, ten generations.

Suppose that, in second half of the 21st
    century, somebody took a look at Vulcan
    psionics, and then looked back at the human
    race's own sketchy and superstition-obscured
    history of psionics usage (I'm assuming that
    many "magicians" and "saints" were really
    unusually powerful psionicists with "wild
    talents"), and decided "hey...our species
    has the *potential* to do that too..."

Thus... a covert breeding program (vaguely
    akin to the Bene Gesserit, from Herbert's
    "Dune" series), intent upon creating really
    powerful human psionicists... Perhaps
    loosely affiliated with one or more extant
    magic(k)al traditions...

Just an idea...

Well. As for 'breeding programs,' there wouldn't necessarily have to be any conspiracy to that, the principle of attraction, "Like attracts like" could have the effect of creating families where talented bloodlines run strong... especially because a lot of people come to Pagan and particularly Wiccan traditions precisely because they've *had* magical experiences.

One thing I noted, rereading the posts here, is maybe worth mentioning... Most Western magical traditions don't hold that one does a ritual and say, directly pushes on the universe... it's more that ritual consciousness is a state of *communication* with the Unseen, the rituals, in a certain sense, are an established *protocol* for clear communication... The notion is that Spirit permeates everything...

'Anaphasic life forms?' Heh.

There would be a real question whether someone's spirit-contacts from Earth would apply in space... (there's stories of faery-doctors coming over from Ireland, and losing all their abilities, which reappear in the next generation, who make their own. ) Would such beings from other worlds know a millworking from a mosh pit?
    Or would a 'witch' have to make "First Contact" on their own, when they went to a new planet?

That could be kind of interesting, and very Star Trek.

The traditions might speak of 'subtle bodies' (the words of the theory, I believe, come from theosophy or alchemy, but folklore has more colourful and less technical terms, like fetches, co walkers, etc.) ...actually parts of onesself that can interact with the unseen worlds, but this sort of thing is usually for knowledge and such things as would be called 'energy healing' in New Age terms.

In either event, the results are often subtle but uncanny...

For a really wierd spin on a Star trek game, one could imagine a plot or subplot where Section 31 or a similar agency has been secretly breeding psi talents, possibly with an agenda which some more 'natural' (and possibly unrecognized) talents are attempting to preserve humanity's contacts with the spirit world, which the secret agency may see more as a resource to exploit, than a living, sentient, and essential world... All the while coping with a Science that cannot observe these sorts of things because its methodology is specifically *designed* to exclude them.

"As the entity remained hostile, and no attempts at contact had been successful, I then instituted a banishing ...procedure... which the entity was able to understand; it left the ship and initiated contact."
    --Dr. Shaari Kiyiimat, science officer, USS Covenant, in debriefing.