Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SNIPEHAWK Covert Surveillance Craft

Post SNIPEHAWK Covert Surveillance Craft

Since nobody else has designed a really small ship, I'll be first. Here's something to put in your explorer's or scout's shuttle bay.

SNIPEHAWK Covert Surveillance Craft

Size 1
    length: 5 m
    beam: 2.5 m
    height: 1.7 m
    Decks: (Did you read the dimensions? )
    SUs available: 220
    SUs used: 219
    outer hull resistance 2, 4su
    inner hull resistance 2, 4su

SIF
    main: class 1 (40/60) [1 pwr/10 protect], 13su
    backup: class 1 (20) [1 pwr/5 protect], 7su

Specialized hull
    atmospheric, 1su
    planetfall, 1su
    energy sheath, 3su
    stealth, 1su (see notes)
    holo-emitter: class Beta, 3su

Crew: 1
    basic life support [1 pwr] 4 su
    reserve [1 pwr] 2 su
    grav: none
    consumables: 1 week
    fire suppression: str 10 [1 pwr] 1 su

Nacelles
    type 1A, embedded, 8su
    spd: 1.1/1.9/2.9
    PIS: type A 1-4 hours, 2su

Impulse
    class 4A, 22su
    spd: (.6/.85c) [1 pwr/.1c]
    accel pkg: class Gamma, (100%) [4 pwr] 8su
    impulse thrusters: (+.1c, +1d@.6c+) [2 pwr] 2su

RCS: (.025c) [2 pwr] 1su

warp engine: class 1A (50 pwr) 22su
    impulse engine: class 4A (35 pwr)
    aux pwr: 1 reactor (5 pwr) 3su
    EPS: +50 pwr transfer, 10 su

cockpit: fwd dorsal, 5su
    computer: 1 core [5 pwr] 2su
    ODN: 3su

nav deflector: [5 pwr] 4su

long range sensors: [5 pwr]
    range pkg: type 1 (3/4/7/10) 4su
    hi-res: 4 ly (.5/.6-1/1.1-3/3.1-4)
    lo-res: 10 ly (1/1.1-3/3.1-7/7.1-10)
    str pkg: class 1 (str 2) 2su
    gain pkg: std
    coverage: std
    lateral sensors: [5 pwr]
    str pkg: class 10 (str 10) 20su
    gain pkg: class Gamma (+3) 9su
    nav sensors: [5 pwr]
    str pkg: class 1 (str 1) 2su

flight control
    autopilot: skill 3, coord 2 [1 pwr] 11su
    nav comp: class 3 (+2) [2 pwr] 4su
    MSC: (+1d) [1 pwr]

IDF
    main: str 9 [3 pwr] 2su
    backup: str 6 [2 pwr] 1su

attitude control: [1 pwr]

communications: class 2 (str 2, secure -1) [2 pwr] 4su
    emerg comm: (str 1) [2 pwr] 1su

transporter: 1 pad (in seat) [1 pwr] 4su
    emitter: emerg type 3 (15,000 km)
    energize/transition coils: class A (str 1)

phaser array, type I, 50 emitters, 1su
    dmg: 20 [2 pwr]
    acc: 5/6/8/11
    rng: 10/30,000/100,000/300,000
    arc: 180 degrees aft
    fire mode: std

microprobe launcher, 50 microprobes, [1 pwr] 1su
    acc: 5/6/8/11
    rng: 1/100/500/2000

shields: f, a, p, s [1 pwr] 10su
    generator: class 1 (protection 10, +100 for embedded nacelles)
    grid: type 0
    distortion amps: class Alpha (threshold 10, +10 for embedded nacelles)
    recharge: class 1, 45 sec

TA/T/S: class Alpha (str 7) 6su

auto destruct, 1su

Notes:
    The Snipehawk is designed to gather info on pre-first contact societies which have the ability to detect objects in space. To reduce the sensor signature, the hull was made as small as possible and only necessary equipment was installed. The hull is shaped to deflect sensor returns at odd angles. (Stealth hull costs 1su per size, and affects short range sensors as an energy sheath affects long range sensors.) No emergency life support is installed; the cockpit is designed for the pilot to wear a spacesuit. No artificial grav actually makes the pilot more comfortable when confined to a seat and a spacesuit for several hours. Warp drive is minimal; the Snipehawk is intended to be launched by a mothership near the edge of a star system, fly a recon pass, and rejoin the mothership. Warp speed won't be used unless the Snipehawk needs to escape a primitive STL ship. Impulse performance is maximized to enable the pilot to evade primitive guided missiles. In fact, the combination of high sublight performance and excellent controls make the Snipehawk extremely popular with hot shot pilots. Long range sensors are rudimentary, but lateral sensors are very effective and optimized for planetary surveying. The aft phaser array is a point defense system for shooting down guided missiles and is mounted aft to encourage the pilot to get away from the area where missiles were launched.
    CLASSIFIED INFO
    Starfleet Intelligence has quietly appropriated a pair of Snipehawks and is attempting to modify them for use in the Neutral Zone. SFI R&D engineers are not finding the design amenable to upgrades. In order to improve the warp speed and long range sensors, they'll have to install much weaker impulse drive and lateral sensor systems.

(This design was inspired by a kit-bashed model I built a couple of years ago. It looks like a modified Stealth Fighter concept from before the F-117 was declassified, with several streamlined blisters on the hull to represent sensor arrays.)

Comments and questions are welcome. Why else would I have posted here?

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Nice, very nice Sarge.
    Quick question when was it introduced into service?
    If it was around 2370, I might introduce into the campaign I'm running at the moment as part of the small-craft compliment of the USS Hawkins.
    Second comment, Instead of the Pilots have to use Vaccum Suits, how them using the Flight Suit from the Academy boxed set instead, as they would a more pratical alternative.

------------------
    "Those Klingons are up to something, I can feel it in my bones"
    Cmmdr JT Wayland
    Strategic Operations Officer, Starbase 415, Dragomer Sector, Klingon Border, 2372

I didn't put in a commission date because I figured most Narrators would want to decide for themselves when a ship becomes available, so feel free to use it whenever you want. Let me know if it works well and if your players like it.

I don't have the Academy set. Is the flight suit pressurized? If so, it should work fine. Just remember, if you have to use the emergency transporter, your mothership will probably be out of range and you'll have to tread vaccuum until you're picked up.

------------------

<<<<

Talking

Nice design. Yes, the flight suit is pressurised. I like the out look of this design. I could see a Nova Class with a couple of these. That might be a nice basis for a small ship based campain. Another option would be to use Sarge's SNIPEHAWK Covert Surveillance Craft insted of Shuttle pods, on Swampy's Merlin class Scout. I think they would complement each other very nicely. Talk about the PERFECT small crew game, just 15-20 people, nice.

BTW: if you get the idea that I really like the SNIPEHAWK, then you would be correct.

SNIPEHAWK

Doug Odell

[This message has been edited by Sevekk (edited 01-19-2001).]

Hey Sevekk, maybe I'm way off base here, but do you like the Snipehawk?

------------------

<<<<

Cool

Originally posted by Sarge:
    Hey Sevekk, maybe I'm way off base here, but do you like the Snipehawk?

What ever gave you that idea ?

Doug Odell

I've got a friend with a scanner who managed to digitize a Snipehawk picture I sent him. I'll post a link to it as soon as he gets it posted to a web site. Meanwhile, if anybody can't wait and has to have the pic in a hurry, I can email it to you.

------------------

<<<<

SNIPEHAWK-S

Starfleet Intelligence has finally finished modifying the Snipehawk for use in the Neutral Zone. It was not an easy design to modify, and the engineers had to make some serious compromises in order to give the ship better long range sensors and good warp speed.

Stats are identical to the original Snipehawk, with the following exceptions:

SUs available/used: 220/220 (a very tight fit, and a nightmare for maintenance)

warp nacelles: type 4B6 embedded
    warp speed: 3.9/7.3/9.5

impulse engines: class 1, .25/.5c, 8 pwr
    no accel pkg
    no impulse thrusters

long range sensors [5 pwr]
    long range pkg: type 3 (acc 3,4,7,10)
    hi-res: 5 ly, .5/.6-1/1.1-3.5/3.6-5
    lo-res: 13 ly, 1/1.1-3.5/3.6-9/9.1-13
    str pkg: class 1, str 1
    gain pkg: class Gamma (+3)

lateral sensors [5 pwr]
    str pkg: class 1, str 1

Field reports from SFI pilots are not exactly glowing endorsements. They like the ability to power down and disappear when the bad guys come looking for them, but they worry that if they are discovered, the underpowered Snipehawk-S won't be able to run all of its defensive systems and maintain high warp speed.

------------------

<<<<

I thought up something else to shoehorn into that last unused SU on the original Snipehawk.

TOWED SENSOR ARRAY

1 su, 1 pwr/rnd to operate, 1 pwr/rnd to extend/retract, long-range and lateral sensor gains are doubled or +2, whichever is higher

The towed sensor array is a reel of monomolecular wire 10 km long that can be unwound to serve as an ultra-long reception antenna. The reel requires 1 pwr/rnd to extend or retract the antenna and can run as fast as 2 km/rnd. The far end is stabilized by a small pod made out of a micro-torpedo casing with a miniature RCS. Any waves or twists in the antenna negate the sensor bonus, so the ship can not make any significant maneuvers while it is using this system. Warp or impulse maneuvers are not possible. Only a very gentle hand on the ship's RCS can be tolerated by the antenna.

------------------

<<<<

Hey, that's pretty nifty there! My guess is that a ship would tow the array to decrease sensor interference from the ship itself. Isn't that why submarines tow sonar arrays? At least, I'm /pretty/ sure submarines tow sonar arrays.

hmmm. Another application for the towed array might be for active sensor use!

"Commander, we were just actively scanned... but there's nothing there!!!"

I hadn't thought about interference from the ship's own systems. I just wanted to have an extremely long antenna to improve reception. It also gives you a long baseline for more accurate rangefinding.

As far as active scans go, I don't think I'd try that on anybody with more brains than a Pakled. If something scanned me from an area where I wasn't detecting anything, I'd assume there was a cloaked ship tracking me and I'd immediately raise shields and power up weapons. Might work against pre-warp civilizations that aren't aware of cloaking devices, though.

------------------

<<<<

Its a wonder SFI was able to modify it at all with the tight SU's.

Otherwise extremely nice/sleak/well done.

If I was flying one I'd try and up the phasers and maybe drop something. Maybe type II for a reduced impulse?

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Just a question.

What would be the difference between a towed sensor array and any of the Probes that are found on Starfleet Vessels?

Arn't they pretty much the same thing, except that while a towed array is still phyically attached to a ship (and thus due some snappy rules if the ship goes to warp while the array is still deployed, after all, its not withing the subpasce field, and what if it catched a planet on the way out?)...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

The advantage of the towed array over probes is that the towed array gives you an antenna 10 km long, so it will pick up signals that other systems would miss. Think of it as a poor man's Argus array, with mobility.

If the wire snagged on something, the reel would be designed to release it before it could slow the ship down or do any damage. Just have the reel bolted in place with sheer bolts, and replace the reel if it gets torn off.

------------------

<<<<

SIG, feel free to come up with your own modified version for your campaign. But you might want to wait and see what I do with the Starsnipe.

------------------

<<<<