Thread: What does Wizards mean for Star Trek role playing?

Question What does Wizards mean for Star Trek role playing?

I'm new to role playing for LUG Star Trek, and I want to know what LUG being bought by Wizards of the West Coast means for this game. What kind of changes can I expect? Will the changes be advantageous or what?

"Once you have their money, you never give it back" --First Rule of Acquisition

AFAIK, WotC won't be producing the Star Trek:TNG RPG at all - in January, AFAIK, the licence switches to Decipher, so we really have no idea what will be happening.

Wizards (being the McDonalds of the gaming industry) bought up the licence some time ago and simply sat on it - which is a wonderful thing, IMO: the alternative would be the AD&Dish system in Star Trek (yes, you can play a 4th Level Engineering Officer!).

That would, IMO, castrate the game the way WotC have annihilated the Star Wars RPG game (formerly of West End Games) by turning into AD&D in space.

So we can be pleased WotC won't be actually producing Trek - and hope that Decipher put out something decent.

------------------
    "May I find you with peace, and leave you with hope."

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

WotC will not be producing anything for Star Trek. That's it.

ICON-Trek will become what FASA-Trek became before it - old, outdated, nothing new (except for what we, the fans, do through TrekRPGNet).

Decipher have the right to produce Star Trek material until (at least) 2005 or 2006.

Aldaron: I must disagree with you on WotC's version of StarWars - having seen both the WEG system, and the d20 version, I can honestly say that the d20 version works better for me...

------------------
    Why do banks charge you an "insufficient funds" fee on money they already know you don't have?

[Moderator Hat On]
    Lets be careful folks about keeping this forum restricted to Questions and Mechanics regarding the LUG incarnation of Star Trek.

-Dan Stack, Co-Moderator