Thread: A suggestion for Spacedock Mk II

Post A suggestion for Spacedock Mk II

Steve,
    I've just had this idea at 0315 hrs while paging thru Spacedock and desperately scoffing coffee while trying to come up with Act 2 in an adventure I'm writing...so take it as you like!

I was thinking that with all the various "tricks" included in SD (shield frequency harmonics, punching thru shields with transporters, etc, etc), it might be nice to have a reference to an episode or movie where said "trick" is used: it would give a bit of "feel" if I could pull out a video and watch and say "Ah...that's what happens."

I realise that would be a lot of extra research on your part, so I was thinkin' that all us consumers of the delectable Spacedock could pull out the various hints/tricks and post the relevant episodes to you, then you could include them in the updated version...whaddya think?

Would anyone be willing to help me (or more to the point: help Steve) with regard to this?

------------------
    "May I find you with peace, and leave you with hope."

Well, theoretically I could dig all of that out of my notes. I'm reluctant to do it, though, because it saps what little verisimilitude a book like SD already has. For the same reason, you'll note that LUG books generally (although not always) refer to the events of an episode, or characters from an episode, without naming that episode itself. The whole point is to create the feel of a setting, not the feel of being a guidebook to a TV show (even if the book serves the latter function in some respect).

So, I'll give it some thought, but "conditions unfavorable."

OTOH, I'm always willing to answer individual questions about the source of a particular maneuver or datum.

Steve Long

What about putting in footnotes to refer to the episodes? That would give us the info without intruding too much on the "reality" of the sourcebook. I'd suggest putting all of the footnotes together in a kind of index at the end of the book to make it easier for Don to do the layout.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

or post the episode references for each thing in a separate document, which could then be put in the same binder with the main book, or whatever.

I was thinking of something along those lines, Cochrane. I understand and agree with Steve's reluctance to put it directly in the book's description, but I think a separate document would be very useful.

So who's up for it? I've started putting together a list of "manouvres/tips/tricks" (little more than listing the stuff from Spacedock), but I'll need help digging out the episodes (I've only got most of Seasons 4,5 & 6, TNG on video). I can watch DS9 on Foxtel...but that'll take a while!!

Anyway, if anyone's interested in helping, let me know.

------------------
    "May I find you with peace, and leave you with hope."

Lightbulb

my main idea is ERRATA PAGES of first book