Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me where I am on the Map

Okay that map is from way back in TNG days. And what they use in the DS9 TM is the basis for DS9 DW. So just a case of a newer map.

As you say very crude and only made to give a very rough indication of where the major powers lie with respect to the quadrant borders.

And yes the Dominion were using parts of the RNZ to attack the Feds. Still space is a big place and the RNZ from DS9 in my maps aren't that far away that a decent convoy couldn't go there to wreak havoc for a time.

Plus the Rommies do have a little bit of territory in the alpha quadrant.

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever

[This message has been edited by SIR SIG (edited 06-23-2001).]

Wink

e just need a different map for every show..?

Oops, was that my outside voice?

Hey you know diregarding everything from previous series isn't such a bad idea

Okay he's my latest 'pretty lines' map:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Fedsiz...0Political.JPG

Quite a revision with the Carddies downsizing to their DW size and the Feds picking up the slack.

So in essense the feds are surrounded, and then the feds are outflanking many of the minor powers.

Perhaps a little silly in places but...

------------------
    SIRSIG

Sir Sig,

I have looked a bit more closely at your State of the Powers map. I analyzed it my favorite way: I printed it and colored it in.

I can find no canon disagreement with you, and am interested to learn more of the Sector numbing system you have devised.

However, I must confess that I do not like this map particularly. I prefer a placement of Cardassia that moves it significantly coreward, and an expansion of Klingon space into the area thus vacated. I also prefer to place the Gorn more where Evan puts them. In fact, I think I prefer Evan's map.
    However, I can come up with no reasonable basis for this preference, and in fact to the contrary. One of the late seasons of TNG has the ship visit the Klingon Homeworld, Romulus, and Cardassia, so there is every reason to thing these three are close to each other.

------------------
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

Blasphemey! How dare you like someone's else map over mine

Coloured it?

Canon disagreement? Thats because its as true as it can be within reason and and common Trek sense.

The sector arrangement came from a reference to Vulcan being in sector 5 and the spinward motion of the galaxy.

It just happened to work for a majority of trek sectors. Although I did have to change some so they would more realistically fit in but thats another story.

I use the map (galaxy one)from the DS9 TM as my basis. Since the DS9 DW maps are based on the same principle.

The Carddies can't be to big. In fact in my most recent map I've cut there space done quite a bit.

Gorn space is just a 'space filler' at the moment. There really isn't much info to tie it down to one specific location yet.

Evan's map works because its based off the old Trek (encyclopedia) maps + LUG and the 'net accepted' StDimension maps. So people accept it because thats what they've seen and expect. (No offense Evan )

As a side note all the main powers capitals have to be within 300 odd ly anyway or the Warp chart needs significent work and I don't just mean a Chi factor.

------------------
    SIRSIG

Oh and another thing; the space the Dominion had taken over (from DS9 DW maps) that curls out then up from carddie space.

Its heading up towards Vulcan, Andoria, Teller and Alpha Centauri.

So unless all the maps we've seen so far have been inverted or some other silliness. Then Cardassian space has to be spin/rim and 'below' (in the -y plane) Sol; so that they can curl up toward Vulcan.

Something I've seen only in my maps and 1 other. Where attention is paid to the actual locations of real stars and the associated Trek ones.

*rant mode over*

------------------
    SIRSIG

Cool

Very, very good. A few things I found interesting: Barzan behind the Romulans, Spica within Romulan space, and huge Klingons. I don't see anything wrong with these things, I just think they're interesting.

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

Spica just landed there.

Barzan is there due to a sector reference. I'm inclinded to actually curl Rommie space spinward of Barzan to make it that much more Neutral.

Klingons? Well again a sector ref in the 2500's to the fed/kling border. And to explain this peninsula; feds/Rigel coreward and Tholians rimward.

Plus Klingons and Talarians share (to me anyway) a common genetic history and thus have close space. Plus a sector ref puts the Talarians down that way.

------------------
    SIRSIG

Question

Has anyone even attempted to make a 3D map of the Trek universe? (i.e. using a z axis along with the x and y)

It seems strange to me to attempt to map space in only 2 dimensions.

In a perfect world I'd be doing a perfect 3d trek map. But I certainly don't have decent enough software to even attempt it. Nor the money to shell out for a decent 3d mapper.

On top of that, while 3d in the long run would be easy. Its a major pain in the ass to get going. (Believe me I've tried).

And thanks for the link Qerlin, but I have had a copy of that for a year or so now. Plus it's not strictly 3d its in slices but a minor quibble

------------------
    SIRSIG

[This message has been edited by SIR SIG (edited 06-26-2001).]

3d maps are a great idea. they're also a major pain in the ass. there is one i found that's not too bad; but it's only for the 25 ly or so around earth. www.scifiaz.com has one called the astrogator's handbook. pretty useful for B5-scale stuff.

IFOS, yes I've tried but in 3d you need 3 sets of cordinates. Sure you can plug in the real stars stars but in 3d your making your job so much harder to place Trek stars unless using the ST Maps

In 2d you can atleast draw apon existing maps canon/non canon to make conclusions.

------------------
    SIRSIG

Lightbulb

I've been using a shareware program called It's Full of Stars to build a Trek Universe map.

After 3 iterations I am on to my 4th (and LAST) attempt. So far it is a combination of real star data, canon info and a little creative license.

For those who care, I have basically put the Romulans at about 2 o'clock from the UFP and swung them nadir under the UFP a bit. The Klingons are at about 4PM and are zenith. Cards are at about 8:30-9 and are also zenith. Ferengi, Breen, etc are not placed as of yet but I'm thinking of placing them level or nadir of the UFP.

This would give the Breen and Roms a border, the Klings and Roms a border, The UFP would border them all, and it would not be a stretch to make the cards and klings come fairly close to each other. Roms would be able to swing up into Card space with not to much trouble either, making the Dominion War somewhat easier to explain. The UFP would them be expanded out through most of the openeings bewteen the other powers going up or down from the galactic plane as needed to accomodate the others.

I'm open to sharing it with anyone else who is using IFOS. Email me at agnewks@nbnet.nb.ca

IFOS is fairly easy to use and you can switch from 2D to 3D easily. When in high resolution mode the program can be rather chunky. It is certainly not the most streamlined code but it does do the job.

Cheers,
    Scott Agnew

I've got It's Full Of Stars. I'd love to see the results of your work, Morrigan. I've often felt that going 3-d was the only way to resolve some of the APPARENT contradictions involved with stellar nations bordering each other.

Here are a couple of examples from IFOS.

http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/skye/maincore.jpg
    http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/skye/2Dbajor.jpg
    http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/skye/3Dbajor.jpg

Feedback?? Anyone interested in a concerted effort to map Trek space in 3D?