Thread: Heavily Automated Ships

Post Heavily Automated Ships

Okay, I'm talking about ships that had most of their systems wired so as to require a smaller crew complement. For example, on my next adventure, the PCs (5) will have to impersonate a raider band to infiltrate a pirate's group and find out her plans. They are being outfitted by Starfleet Intelligence with one of the ships from RR&R or the Merchant files in those Lost Trek stuff.
    I know I can just say it's automated to allow nly the five of them to run it -- and I'll probably do that -- but I was curious to know if someone has thought up any rules. Maybe an extra computer core that covers the functions of 90% of the standard crew?
    Ideas?

------------------
    "As long as you can laugh, you are not
    defeated."

–- Jack Vance

well,added cores may be able to help run the ship but if they ever get into combat and take damage that small amount of crew become a big liability in the way of repairs, unless you go for the exocomp thing(thats all I remeber about them at this moment).

I think SD deals with high automated ships with basically just a lower crew and perhaps a few reduntant systems. (hey I'm at work so don't quote me )

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Theoretically, a single crewmember is capable of piloting any vessel as long as the computers can handle all other functions. Bev Crusher did this once with the Enterprise in that ep where she was trapped in a universe of her own devising. Of course, you'll still have trouble if the computers get knocked out, or the ship needs repairs, or a virus infects all five of the crew...

------------------
    "The more top brass briefings I attend, the more I want to take a phaser to the whole lot of them..."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest, NCC-81205