Thread: SRM: Klingons Testreaders Needed

Post SRM: Klingons Testreaders Needed

OK, folx, it's that time again -- time to recruit testreaders for another Ship Recognition Manual! In this case, it's the SRM: Klingons.

The astute among the long-time board members are now no doubt saying:

"Hey! What gives? Steve was working on the SRM: TOS Era. It won the vote! Why hasn't it come out for testreading first? Is Steve an idiot, or is he just toying with our fragile emotions?"

Well, OK, it's the latter.

Actually, here's how things went. Since deciding to work on the SRM: TOS Era, I've done a good bit of writing and watched most, but not all, of the shows. I still have a dozen or so episodes, plus the movies (which, despite my dislike of almost all of 'em, I've decided I should watch again), to go. Then I can finish up the rules section and start Phase 1 of the testreading for that book (as described in a previous post).

However, there are many times when I can't leave my computer to watch TV. Maybe I'm expecting a call, or perhaps there's a favorite radio show on that I want to listen to (alas, that they do not make "VCRs" for cassette recorders). I've got to do something while I'm sitting there, and it only takes me a few hours each week to process the Wolf 359 re-creation and announce who got killed this time.

So, in those times, I've been working on the Klingon ships book. At a ship or so a day, plus time to develop some rules and such, I've finally finished it (all but some editing I'll do tonight and tomorrow). So, it's actually going to make it out first, more than likely, though that depends partly on Don's schedule and desires as well.

Now that the manuscript's done, I need some testreaders! Here's how the process is going to work:

First, you can only sign up to testread by sending me a private e-mail (to SteveL1979@aol.com, or use the link with this post) headed "SRM: Klingons Testreading" and asking to be let in.

Second, I'm only going to take about 20-30 testreaders, so first come, first served.

Third, there are some prerequisites for testreaders. I want to avoid some problems that occurred last time. So, please be sure you satisfy the following requirements before signing up:

a. You must be familiar with the Spacedock rules. By this I mean you should have a copy of the manuscript, you should have read through it, and you should have at least tried to design a couple of ships on your own. I don't want to have to explain any rules or concepts to anyone.

b. You must be able to check your e-mail on a regular basis (preferably at least daily). The group will communicate via e-mail and send me reports by e-mail, and I want everyone to be involved.

c. You need to have some perspective. I am not a slobbering Klingon fanboy, and I don't intend to rework every little bit of the rules to make the Klingon ships better, cooler, faster, and so forth. In fact, there are fewer ship design rules changes for this book than for the Cardassians book, and I expect it will stay that way. I want Klingon fans to testread, since they undoubtedly have much useful information and insight, but please remember: they're just one of hundreds of species (and, IMO, one of the less interesting).

d. You need to be able to work constructively with the group. I don't want to get involved in any flame wars or other such folderol. Nor do I want discussion of issues to continue after I say, "OK, that's it, let's move on, I've got enough on this topic, thankyewvedymuch." I want everyone to consider the whole book, not get hung up on a couple of points. I reserve the right to eject unconstructive participants from the group.

e. You need to be able to read the manuscript and comment on it. I understand that sometimes real life issues come up unexpectedly and prevent you from doing something you want to and promised to -- believe me, I understand, and I sympathize! But if you have a reasonable suspicion that real life issues may interfere with your involvement with the project, it's better for both of us not to get started with it in the first place. Fortunately, there'll be a long deadline -- see below -- which will help things on this front.

f. You need to be able to read the PDF I will send you. I don't believe there were any problems with this last time, except for the Case of the Mysteriously Dropped Apostrophes, but we can live with that.

So, do you think you can live with those requirements? Still want to get involved? Then I'd love to have your input!

"But, Steve!" you exclaim. "This sounds like a lot of work -- readin' pages and checkin' math and stuff. What do I get for helping you out this way and sacrificing my valuable time?"

Glad you asked. All participants who participate fully get three things:

1. My eternal gratitude.
    2. A mention in the "Special Thanks" section of the book.
    3. One of the coveted Pink Elephant Awards! Accept no substitutes; this is the genuine magilla. Previous recipients of the PE are eligible for additional PEs.

People who go above and beyond the call, for example by checking the math in all the Templates, may qualify for additional rewards, up to and including the Exalted Pink Elephant of Merit Award.

Since I have a bunch of conventions and things to attend over the next month or so, the deadline for submitting your final notes/report to me will be tentatively set for March 19, 2001. This assumes I can get the manuscript out to people before I leave for San Francisco on Wednesday. That, in turn, depends entirely on how quickly people sign up and what crops up in my life 'tween now and then. It may have to wait until the 20th or 21st after I return.

So, there you have it. Any questions or thoughts? If so, please feel free to drop me a line via e-mail or post a note here.

Qapla'!

Steve Long
    Who would write his name in Klingon, but doesn't know the words for it.

Bump to top.

no i can't: i too afraid of "Pink Elephant Awards"
    and i have no more player

I'm semi interested in this but I need to ask.. will the Klingon info be emailed? or will we be picking it up somewhere?
    I've never designed my own ship, but I'm familiar with it from watching my old friends do it.

It's going to be e-mailed, of course.

Steve Long

Thumbs up

I have the time for now, have played with the construction rules, so I might be interested.

What? Where's the enthusiasum!
    It may be Klingons, but they have some cool warships!

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

I can't wait myself! I am reading Spacedock over again and designing a few new ships in the process including a Breen destroyer to set against some of these Klingon starships.

Any idea what the size of the pdf is going to be Steve as some of us may have mail box limitations?

Regards,
    CKV.

If the slots aren't yet filled, sign me up. Checking for typos and other errors is something I do with most games I pick up anyway, and checking math I do as a hobby.

I've read Space dock and, except for a couple of questions I've asked on here recently, I understand it rather well <add sound of ego inflateing here>.

We've just started up a game here, so I may be able to get them to playtesting the designs as well.

<sigh> If only I'd been here when the Romulan set was being worked on.

Pat, gettin' to like this smileys thing

Any idea what the size of the pdf is going to be Steve as some of us may have mail box limitations?
    No clue. The PDF for the SRM: Cardassians, which was about the same size word count-wise, was under 2 MB IIRC. I recall only one problem, which was solved, if memory serves, by the person in question providing me with another e-address to try.

If only I'd been here when the Romulan set was being worked on.
    The SRM: Romulans hasn't been completed yet, much less offered up for testreading; you haven't missed a thing (aside from some specifications in my original post). I've barely begun work on the SRM: Rommie; I've got a classification chapter, a half-completed construction chapter, and about three ships so far. So just hang tight; it'll come round eventually.

Steve Long

Woohoo!

<calms down> I can wait. :}

Pat

Cool! That leaves me with tons of room and I won't have to worry about a bounce.

*Grin* Now we just have to prepare a few opponents for thos battle-lusting Klingon warriors, the crafty but honorable Romulan soldiers, and of course those intrepid crews in the glory days of true frontier exploration.

IOW, count me in for any future test readings. I am looking forward to see just what sort of nasty vessels you have created.

Regards,
    CKV.

OK, folx, the application period for testreading is now

CLOSED.

I've got my 20-odd volunteers and we're ready to get started.

Steve Long