Thread: Sensor Reflective hull/Energy Sheath Nitpick

Post Sensor Reflective hull/Energy Sheath Nitpick

In Spacedock, an energy sheath (p. 21) is listed as being able to make detecting a ship or reading what's inside it difficult; a sensor-reflective hull (p. 22) makes it impossible to scan the interior of the ship. But... wasn't it the other way around?

I seem to recall the Cardassian freighters of "The Wounded" (TNG 4th season) as having a "high-energy subspace field" -- I watched it recently in Portuguese and am translating from the words they used -- that prevented the sensors from scanning the cargo holds. In "Gambit" (TNG 6th season), I remember Data saying that the pirate ship had a sensor-reflective hull that made it invisible to long-range sensors. So, the energy sheath seems to have the effect of a sensor-reflective hull and vice versa.

Is that right or is my memory failing me? Of course, this is a nitpicking exercise, but it sort of stuck in my mind.

------------------
    "As long as you can laugh, you are not
    defeated."

–- Jack Vance

I believe my interpretation and description of those technologies is correct. As I'm away from home at present, I can't offer further corroboration right now, tho.

Steve Long

Talking sorry

Just drifting through the old posts before I joined and thought (if anyone still cares) I would answer this.
    In 'Gambit', Data reported that the mercenary ship was encased in an energy sheath, not a sensor-reflective hull, thus rendering it invisible to long range sensors.
    So, the energy sheath seems to have the effect of a sensor-reflective hull and vice versa.
    I do seem to remember the ops officer not being able to scan the interior of the ship too. Maybe the energy sheath incorporates the same technology as the sensor-reflective hull.

The high-energy subspace field seen in 'The Wounded' would probably have the same effect as the sensor reflective hull, or maybe its just the Cardassian alternative to it. The Phoenix managed to detect the ship perfectly, so I assume the field does not render the ship invisible to sensors.
    So, to conclude and answer your original question, it wasn't the other way around, but the energy sheath seems to have the same effect.