Thread: Question for Steve regarding Romulan Plasma Torpedoes and launcher spreads.

Post Question for Steve regarding Romulan Plasma Torpedoes and launcher spreads.

In Spacedock, it states under the description of Romulan Plasma Torps that only one torpedo may be fired per launcher per turn but multiple launchers may be fired provided you take the multiple action penalty as appropriate.

Then one goes to the D'deridex Warbird write-up. In the write-up, it states that the primary torpedo used out of the launcher is a plasma torpedo. It then goes on to list that the launcher can fire a spread of up to ten per launcher.

Should a notation be made in the write-up then that such a spread can only be fired if using a torpedo system other then a plasma torpedo?

Regards,
    CKV.

I'll see 'bout clarifying that. Sorry for the confusion!

Steve Long

Personally, I like the fact that you can only fire one plasma torpedo per tube. It still makes them exceptionally deadly especially if multiple tubes are fired but it does not amount to overkill.

A spread of ten plasma torpedoes even with the change in the damage computation would wipe out almost anything if a full spread connected doing over 2900 points of damage.

Whereas two tubes fired separately drops it to either 1125 or 1800 depending on the method of firing.

Just my two cents...

Regards,
    CKV.

As far as I can see, this comes from the section in SD about the plasma torps themselves. It says there that Romulan ships also carry conventional photons for situations where plasma torps would not be tactically sound choices (ie: firing at a ship you don't have the drop on, which could outrun the torpedo). The Spread rating for the launchers is for these torpedoes, not the plasma torps (much like Fed ships can only fire one high-yield torpedo even if the launcher has a Spread rating).

------------------
    "The more top brass briefings I attend, the more I want to take a phaser to the whole lot of them..."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest, NCC-81205

Captain Hunter, I fully agree with and take that interpretation myself but I've seen more then my fair share of players and GMs skim material and come to an improper conclusion because they could not be bothered to READ the material fully.

So I figured I would point that out. A simple solution would be a spread of 1, 10 with a note at the bottom or when the Romulans SRM comes out a comment under the torpedo tubes heading in the chapter dealing with tech.

Regards,
    CKV.