Thread: Singularity Torpedoes (Romulan)

Question Singularity Torpedoes (Romulan)

In the Way of D'era box set, it talks about the the Romulan Star Empire's Dreadnaught having a new experimental "singularity torpedo" to launch. Can anyone speculate on the stats? I've temporarily assigned it a 500 damage rating (similar to the Borg torpedoe).

Steve, any comments on this?

MJ

I would think the effects would be the same as the gravimetric torpedoes.

The Quantum Singularity Torpedo is listed as doing more damage then a plasma torpedo in the basic system so in theory it should do more damage then a plasma torpedo in Spacedock but the plasma torpedo is already pretty lethal as it stands.

So instead of setting the damage higher then 900, why not instead (twisting Querlin's idea somewhat), combine the effects and operations of a plasma torpedo with that of a gravimetric torpedo.

So in effect you get a torpedo that does 900 damage, dropping six points of damage for every MU moved past the first, upon impact and being only affected by half the target vessel's protection rating (though it's full threshold rating) and it's SIF.

I will have to play with this to see if the results are what I envision but for now it is a thought.

Regards,
    CKV.

I think we have to take the "more powerful than a plasma torpedo" thing with a pinch of salt. It's certainly powerful, but in the original LUG rules plasma torps were just the Romulan version of photons. The LUG rules listed the damage at 24 or something like that, so I'd assign it a damage of 300 to 350 - slightly less than a quantum torpedo, which the flavour text says it was designed to rival.

------------------
    "The more top brass briefings I attend, the more I want to take a phaser to the whole lot of them..."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest, NCC-81205

Then it becomes one of choice because the basic system was designed to keep things simple and in so doing never really differentiated between the weapons.

In Spacedock, there are significant differences between the weapons and "flavor" text to support either case.

The only advantage of a photon torpedo over a plasma torpedo is consistant damage over range and a multifire that will do more damage (if a ship's shields are already down) then a plasma torpedo otherwise they do a fair amount less.

A somewhat less powerful quantum torpedo essentially falls into the same category and a multifire just barely exceeds a plasma torpedo against a fully shielded ship if an entire spread of ten connects.

I personally would go with the flavor text stating that it was built to replace the plasma torpedo when transferring across to Spacedock and a weapon does not have to do "more" damage as the only measure of it's improvement over a weapon it is replacing.

In the end, it comes down to a narrator's choice and keeping the balance of his own game in mind.

Regards,
    CKV

Wink

I plan to just treat it as a slight variant on a quantum torpedo. Any loss in raw damage is more than made up by the ability to fire spreads and do full damage at maximum range.

Wink

Even using the simple system, you could probably change the effect of the singularity torpedoes. I would half the shield effectiveness & keeps the damage the same as a plasma torpedo. Just make certain to describe the damage differently from a normal one: no explosions, just a sudden shock and a whole lot of stuff 'missing'. When our ship was hit by one, it screwed up the artificial gravity for a moment, as well.

I'm regarding the singularity torpedo as nothing more than the Romulan version of the quantum torpedo. I'm not sure if that's what was intended with 'em by the author of that part of WOD, but it works for me as I start to peck away at rules for Romulan ship construction in "my copious spare time."

Steve Long

Wink

Steve, you have copious spare time? <elpletive deleted>

Question

Steve, I was thinking on using Spacedock to create the propsoed Praetorian Class Dreadnaught soon, any suggestions? I figure it too would have the Singularity Torpedoes. Will you be working on the Volume 2 of the ship Rec manual anytime soon? Just wondering. I am working on converting the ships from "the Way of Dera" over to the Space dock system.

My "copious spare time" is when I write up Starship Templates and SRMs. I've had more than normal lately due to my only semi-employed status, but I can usually manage to do a ship a day or so. That way, I can crank out about a book a month (unless I need to do lots of research, as with the TOS SRM).

As for the Romulan ship book -- I'm working on that now during those times when I can't leave the computer to go watch TOS episodes and whatnot. It'll have templates for all the WOD ships, plus lots more, as well as Romulan ship construction rules for things like artificial quantum singularity drives.

Steve Long

Originally posted by Steve Long:
    As for the Romulan ship book -- I'm working on that now during those times when I can't leave the computer to go watch TOS episodes and whatnot. It'll have templates for all the WOD ships, plus lots more, as well as Romulan ship construction rules for things like artificial quantum singularity drives. :
    Steve Long
    I know you dont look at our 'fan stuff', but there have been a couple of WoD conversions appearing lately...

Just a quick question... Will the Theta class shuttles size be put right this time?

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

Originally posted by Dan Gurden:
    Just a quick question... Will the Theta class shuttles size be put right this time?
    Depends on how you define "right." If by "right" you mean, "in accordance with the statistics published in the DS9TM," then the answer is "yes."

Steve Long

Originally posted by Steve Long:
    Depends on how you define "right." If by "right" you mean, "in accordance with the statistics published in the DS9TM," then the answer is "yes."

Steve Long
    That'll do, but in this instance I was meaning the WoD 80 metre monster with 3 decks, verses the version we saw on screen that could park in a Runabout bay...

So Tech Manual is good, which is where my version came from, so I am interested in seeing the finished result...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

How about the PSP from Andromeda? Point Singularity Projector, pretty neat stuff...