Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Wolf 359 re-enactment

I noticed in the lastest update that some ships were missing. I was curious what had happened. For example, I remember in the last turn, how the Saratoga was flying circles around the borg (with the six on the Drama die). Now on the latest turn it isn't even on the update. Did the Captain fail to turn in his orders?

If a ship isn't mentioned and wasn't destroyed, the person playing that ship forgot to submit orders, or was unable or unwilling to submit orders for some reason. If no orders are submitted, I just have the ship do nothing. It's difficult enough to keep track of all the people who are doing things in any given round; I don't want to take on all the other undirected ships, too.

Longcutus

C'mon Starfleet, take out that cube!

Set those torp's as individual attacks, coordinate with your respective captains and knock em out of the park.

I know, easy for me to say. There is a reason I'm just a spectator in all this. Good luck!!

Unhappy

Yeah...my bad!

I was caught up preparing lessons for 2 different classes and a sick 4 yr old and plain, simply forgot to check my e-mail for a day or two too long.

By the time I got to it, I realised I'd missed the deadline. I was actually convinced I'd be dead, sitting like an idiot within Borg weapon range, but Steve (*bow down*..."We're not worthy"), in His Infinite Mercy, didn't attack me (Phew! *wipe sweat off brow*).

Don't worry...the Saratoga will be in there punchin' next round!!

------------------
    "May I find you with peace, and leave you with hope."

Man, you just signed your own death warrant

Originally posted by Aldaron:
    Yeah...my bad!

I was caught up preparing lessons for 2 different classes and a sick 4 yr old and plain, simply forgot to check my e-mail for a day or two too long.

By the time I got to it, I realised I'd missed the deadline. I was actually convinced I'd be dead, sitting like an idiot within Borg weapon range, but Steve (*bow down*..."We're not worthy"), in His Infinite Mercy, didn't attack me (Phew! *wipe sweat off brow*).

Don't worry...the Saratoga will be in there punchin' next round!!

Talking

Hehhheee... "Captain XXXXXXX, ship destroyed. You may take USS ZZZZZZZ as your next ship." Over and over again. They're dropping like flies.

Unless those Starfleet ships start concentrating their fire on the collapsed shield arc soon, they're history.

Wizdoc

We've been trying, but the main problem is we had about 18 people going to run ships, what we have ended up with is a responses of about 7 to 12 people for each round, it makes it hard to do a lot of damage and leaves us out in the open.

Maybe the Starfleet fought in 20 waves of two also.

Makklor

Hey Makklor, if the opening sequence to 'Emissary' is to be believed our limited attack runs are indeed an accurate portrayal of the battle...

Makes you wonder what the outcome would be if there were 40 players for 40 ships... Massed Picard maneuvers and tordedos launchers...

Sure it would be a target rich environment but he could never get us all in a single volley...

As a note to anyone that is interested... Both myself (the captain of the Vigilant) and the captain of the Melbourne have elected to remain in action despite our ships damage, while this means we are effectivly dead it does save a couple of ships from utter destruction for a round with the possibility of landing a bitch slap on the borg for an extra turn. And speaking as the captain of 4 ships in 5 turns its quite relaxing to have the same ship two turn running...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

They've begun doing a reasonable job concentrating their fire on the unprotected side of the cube. My guess is that I have, at most, Rounds 5 and 6 to live. And it's possible that they'll demolish the cube this round, if they play their cards right. Depending on planning and tactics, I think Starfleet could've taken the cube out in Round 2 or 3, but fortunately for me, that didn't happen.

Course, I intend to pick off a few more before I go down. And I'm getting lots of great ideas for an SRM: Borg.

Longcutus

Is this thread SUPPOSED to be this hilarious?

I jsut can't help but laugh: "bitch slap" the Borg, concentrated efforts, it's all so funny.

As of the "Emissary", the borg are letting the starfleet ships get a lot closer then Longcutus is doing for us. Move into weapons range, get shot. Move into weapons range, get shot. Ect.
    Herewith some unsolicited tactical advice that will probably result in the rapid destruction of the cube.

You guys are the ones remaining at such a distance from the cube. I'm shooting at you when you come in range only because that's all I can do. I'm not going to sit there and let you pepper me with torps just because you're hanging back.

All you have to do is move up close if you want to get close; heck, I've automatically been giving you initiative (though that's probably gonna end this turn ). At long range, hitting with lots of torpedoes is difficult, even given the Size difference bonus.

If you guys all got up real close to the cube, you could, because of the Size difference, each hit it with bunches of torpedoes -- for a Miranda class ship, for existence, at Point Blank range you could fire your full load of 16 torpedoes and automatically hit with a minimum of 13 of them, even if your highest die rolls a 2. And that's as a Multifire that'd do 800 damage; you could suck up the Multiple Action Penalty and still hit with bunches of them fired individually (for greater damage), because of the Size difference.

At close range you could also use your beam weapons, which you haven't been doing, and thereby increase your damage-dealing potential.

Of course, bringing all the ships in that close will result in horrific casualties, since it also makes it easier for the Borg to hit (and allows the cube to use beams, too). But you'll destroy the Borg a lot quicker, and with no greater casualties I think, than your current method of hanging back at Long range where you have a much harder time hitting the target.

Now that I've sealed my fate, that's the last tactical advice I'm givin'.

Longcutus

The problem as I see it from having read the battle report thus far is two fold:

1. The various captains are trying to arrange for their ships to survive the battle.

2. No one is in command.

These two deficiencies have resulted in no one being willing to close with the cube for fear of being left forward and unsupported.

Somebody needs to take charge, commit the reserve, and close with the enemy.

Unfortunately,, I can't because I'm off TDY again tomorrow.

"No Captain can be far wrong if he lays his ship alongside that of the enemy."
    Admiral Lord Nelson, Trafalgar
    <or a close paraphrase>

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

Love these battle reports.

What's the address of the group mentioned where this is going on, and is it open so anyone can read it?

Personally I'd have had the ships with the best beam weapons act as the point defenses for the entire fleet. Can you do that, what kind of datalink does Starfleet have?

And as the Captain of the Melbourne (Nebula class), I could not resist doing the "Captain goes down with the ship" routine. It't to the point where I have no clue if the Melbourne is still functional enough to present the aft shields to the borg and fire, but I'll try.

As of the "Emissary", the borg are letting the starfleet ships get a lot closer then Longcutus is doing for us. Move into weapons range, get shot. Move into weapons range, get shot. Ect.

Makklor AKA. Captain Gorath of the Melbourne
    aka. Sitting duck

[This message has been edited by Makklor (edited 02-13-2001).]

Calguard...

Its quite interesting that you should bring up that nobody is in command... Last turn several people tried to take command of the fleet... Unfortunatly as players we were all too subtle to take outright command and order the other ships about, so several 'fleet suggestions went out' but all seemed to miss the descicivness of command. Mine Included...

Pesterfield (and anyone else)

If you want to read the archives, including rules notations, some funnies and the various orders and actions the yahoogroups page is; http://groups.yahoo.com/group/starship_battles

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"