Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf 359 re-enactment

Post Wolf 359 re-enactment

Some of you are aware (and even participating) in a re-enactment of the massacre of Wolf 359 going on over the internet.

This is being done primarily for fun, under the guise of a test of the Spacedock rules.

Steve has announced that in his opinion Starfleet will be successful with the loss of roughly half the 40 ships ranged against the Borg cube... So thats one of the theorys being tested...

Anyway, on this thread I will attempt to keep you all appraised of the continuing battle to protect Earth from the threat of the Borg lead by Longcutas of Borg.

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

Round 1.
    As posted by Steve Long

Herewith, the results of Round 1:

As the assembled fleet waits anxiously near Wolf 359, a hush falls over the communications net. Huddled together in mid-system, with only the Chekov and the Kyushu flying forward to gather data with their sensors, the ships have no more need to speak to each other. The necessary preparations have been made. All that's left is to await the arrival of the Borg.
    With almost no warning, a Borg cube drops out of transwarp and silently drifts to a halt twenty-five million kilometers from the main fleet. The mechanistic voice all of Starfleet has come to associate with these soulless enemies leaps out of each ship's speakers but now it's terrifyingly tinged with the tones of one of the fleet's most talented and beloved captains, Jean-Luc Picard:
    "We are the Borg. You will disarm your weapons and lower your shields in preparation for assimilation. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
    "Resistance is futile."

With a shock of horror, the captains of the Chekov and the Kyushu realize that the cube has stopped within weapons range of them — and even worse, the cube is actually between the main fleet and the Chekov! Desperate to escape back to the protection of the main fleet, the captain of the Chekov barks swift orders:
    "Reverse heading! Microwarp burst at Warp 3, now!" But it's already too late. Before his Flight Control officer can react, eerie green beams of energy lance out from the dorsal and starboard sides of the cube, striking the Chekov's port shield. As the shield collapses, further beams, followed by a small volley of torpedoes, cut through the undefended ship.
    Meanwhile, weapons along the forward and port sides of the cube repeat this process, using the forward shields of the Kyushu as their target.
    Stronger than the Chekov's shields, they withstand three beam hits before a fourth punches through to damage the ship. A few more flickering beams of light, and another small volley of the deadly Borg torpedoes, and it's all over.

As the rest of the fleet watches in an agony of helplessness, the Chekov explodes in a brilliant ball of fire, followed almost immediately by the Kyushu.

"We are the Borg. Resistance is futile."

GAME NOTES
    The Chekov lost initiative to the Borg cube, unfortunately for it. It was hit by eight beam weapons and three torpedoes, all striking its port shield, which dropped after the third beam hit. The damage destroyed all of its navigational computers, all of its auxiliary power generators, one beam weapon (and damaged another), and a cargo hold; nearly destroyed the bridge, killing the captain, flight control and tactical officers; and damaged its warp engined, reducing its Power generating capacity by 30%, before the torpedo volley obliterated the ship.
    The Kyushu did not turn in Round 1 orders, and thus automatically lost initiative to the cube. The fourth beam hit eliminated its forward shield and went on to destroy the ship's port warp nacelle, creating an explosion that further damaged the ship. Later hits destroyed auxiliary power, the navigational sensors, the ODN system, communications, the ship's PIS, and finally caused a total catastrophic failure of the warp core system, resulting in a ship-destroying explosion.
    Several people issued orders about wanting to attack if they were in range. However, the bulk of the fleet remains over 20,000,000 km from the cube -- most ships just sort of inched forward. So, no one was in range yet -- except for the two unfortunate ships the Borg just dealt with.

------------------
    Dan.

Who were the unlucky Captains of the Chekov and the Kyushu?

And hopefully there will be a full statistical round up of the battle once its all over.

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Well, let's see. The Chekov was Andrew Timson, and the Kyushu was Kevin LNU. Each of them has been assigned a ship from the reserve list, so it's not as if they're out of the game yet.

As for a "statistical round up," that depends on what you mean. A brief summary of things might be feasible. I don't intend to offer a complete rules-based blow-by-blow description, though. That would take hours to prepare, and I'd rather spend that time working on SRM: TOS, or the DWC, or something like that.

Steve Long

[This message has been edited by Steve Long (edited 01-24-2001).]

Talking

FYI, Andrew Timson is better known as ArsenicMan (or the Grand Nagus of "Greed is Eternal", the Ferengi SB). Kevin is... well, Kevin.

Heh, two down and thirty-eight to go and Starfleet hasn't scored a single shot yet...

I look forward on reading these battle reports. Maybe if this turns out to be a successful and manageable, we might be able to re-enact other famous conflicts. Battle for Earth, Chin'Toka, Operation Return etc. A pure bliss for the participating players but probably a managment hell for anyone planning to run it, considering the 100+ ships involved per side.

BTW, what was the Starfleet's ship complement? I don't think I've seen a complete list of ships participating in Wolf 359 anywhere.

Wizdoc

I managed to piece a list of about 20 vessels that were there from canon sources, and added 20 vessels from a similar choice to fill out the gaps.

I will post a list later separating canon from non-canon for those that are interested.

And no, we have not managed to fire a shot, so far the only ships in range have been destroyed...

------------------
    Dan.

Just for the sake of curiosity, how do the ships coordinate their actions? Is each captain on his own? Are communications simulated (msgs between ships, msgs to all ships, to groups of ships, etc.)? Is someone coordinating the whole 40 ships?

Unhappy

Dan,
    Just wanted to let you know that I was signed up to command the Ahahnee, but have been too busy recently to play. I will, however, be checking back here to see how the fleet manages.

Good luck, and may the Force be with you. (Oops, wrong game! )

------------------
    Tony Fanchi
    Scotty "Laddy, don't you think you should rephrase that?"
    Korax "You're right. I didn't mean to say the Enterprise should be hauling garbage, I meant to say it should be hauled away as garbage!"
    [The Trouble With Tribbles/Trials and Tribbilations]

Just for the sake of curiosity, how do the ships coordinate their actions?
    Dan established an E-Groups mailing list that the members used to communicate, sending messages back and forth to each other, and so on. They must communicate "in the open" so that I can see what they're planning. This simulates Locutus's knowledge of Starfleet tactics, equipment, and the personalities of the captains involved. All in all, I think it's a pretty elegant solution, and some of the guys have posted dandy little in-character descriptions of their actions.

Longcutus o' Borg

I look forward on reading these battle reports. Maybe if this turns out to be a successful and manageable, we might be able to re-enact other famous conflicts. Battle for Earth, Chin'Toka, Operation Return etc. A pure bliss for the participating players but probably a managment hell for anyone planning to run it, considering the 100+ ships involved per side.
    Well, if we wanted to do a battle like that, we would have to use the fleet combat rules, not run individual ships. I like ship combat, but not that much!

Steve Long

Round Two
    As posted by Steve Long...

As the Borg cube sits ominously in space, silently tractoring in bits and pieces of the Chekov and Kyushu for some inscrutable purpose, the fleet
    approaches, swiftly and with deadly purpose. As it nears a distance of 5,000,000 kilometers, only one ship — the Buran — somehow ends up out of formation and far too close to the Borg cube. As the Buran's conn frantically maneuvers the ship, attempting to dodge, three of the starboard beam
    projectors lash out at the ship with green beams of energy. The conn's maneuvers allow the ship to evade two of the beams, but four more strike the ship's aft shield, collapsing and inflicting significant damage. Though the Buran's warp core and engineering section suffer extensive destruction, resulting in the deaths of dozens of crewmen, the ship remains intact as it prepares to fire torpedoes. The Chief Engineer, through some miracle of jury-rigging, actually manages to goose a little more power from the damaged warp core.
    While most of the ships remain at 5,500,000 kilometers from the cube, using their sensors and transporters to try to locate and rescue the pitiful few survivors from the Kyushu and Chekov, nine ships, led by the Miyamoto Musashi, the Hawkeye, and the Shiloh, decide to dart in closer. "Let's get to just outside of normal torpedo range, then tap the torpedoes' explosive charges to propel them far enough to hit the cube," Captain Makklor of the Hawkeye radios the other ships. "The Borg won't be expecting that!" True to his word, the captain orders his ship to close, then instructs Tactical to fire two massive volleys of torpedoes. The first volley flies true, with several torps hitting the cube's forward shields despite the range.
    Unfortunately, an unexpected technical failure jams the other torpedo launcher, rendering it useless for the remainder of the battle.
    "Sir, there may be one flaw in your plan," says Lt. Lovok, Ops officer on
    the Hawkeye.
    "What's that, Lieutenant? Can't you see we just struck the first blow against the Borg?"
    "Sir, your tactic, while both swift and daring, does not take into account the fact that the Borg's weapons may have a longer range than our own."
    As if on cue, the Tactical officers on the Bellerophon, Hawkeye, Melbourne, and Shiloh announce, "The Borg have established targeting locks on us and are launching torpedoes! Brace for impact!"
    The Bellerophon, which had been using its sensors to obtain locks on one of the cube's cutting beams, rocks under two volleys of three torpedoes from the cube's dorsal launchers. Powerful blasts cut through the hull, wreaking havoc on the ship's interior and almost totally destroying the ship's main and backup EPS systems. "Damage control teams to decks 13 through 27!" shouts Captain Lernath as his bridge rocks under the impact. "Hull breach on decks 14, 18, 19, 22, and..." says Science Officer Pel'grasha before a shower of sparks explodes out of her panel, hurling her half the length of the bridge.
    One look at her burned and ravaged body is enough to tell Lernath that she — along with dozens, perhaps hundreds of his crew — is dead.
    The Hawkeye is next to pay the price for its daring attack, and it pays in coin even more precious. One after the other, torpedoes slam into its starboard shield, at first weakening and then collapsing it, leaving the ship completely vulnerable to the remaining torps. Before Captain Makklor can order a withdrawal, the torpedoes hit, obliterating his ship in a tremendous fireball.
    Again one of the Borg's forward torpedo launchers fires, and this time it's the Melbourne the cube has targeted. Though the ship avoids four of the torpedoes, six hit its forward shield. While the shield itself held — barely — the force which penetrated its energy threshold cause so much concussive and internal damage that, as eyes already filled with the horror of the
    Hawkeye's destruction look on, the Melbourne follows that ship into death as explosions rip it apart.
    Nor is the flagship, the Miyamoto Musashi, spared. Though it dodges seven
    of the ten torpedoes fired at it, the three which hit, while unable to collapse its enhanced forward shields, cause tremendous damage to the interior of the ship.
    "Auxiliary power to forward shields!" orders Admiral Hansen, only to discover that the last attack completely destroyed his
    auxiliary power generators.
    Last but not least, the Shiloh. It, too, suffers hits from three Borg
    torpedoes, losing its lateral sensors in the process. With his ship nearly blinded, Captain Takahari wonders what he can do to get back in the game.
    "We are the Borg. Resistance is futile."

Longcutus o' Borg
    4 down, 35 to go...

------------------
    Dan.

[This message has been edited by Dan Gurden (edited 01-27-2001).]

Round Two Game Notes.

OK, so much more occurred this turn that multiple posts were required to give the turns actions and the mechanics behind them.

If nobody wants to read the mechanics (yeah... right) I can stop posting them... But only if I receive a ton of email telling me to stop!

Casualty Summary
    Starfleet: Has lost the Chekov, Kyushu, Hawkeye, and Excelsior-class Melbourne (10% of fleet). The Buran, Bellerophon, Miyamoto Musashi, and Shiloh are all damaged.
    Borg: Minor damage to forward shields.

Fleet Actions

Note: All ships moved to 5,500,000Y for ease of play.

1. Agamemnon
    a. Forward shield increased to 880 Protection (costs 66 Power)
    b. Obtains targeting lock on cube

2. Bellerophon
    a. Using sensors, the ship locates one of the Borg cube's forward cutting beam emitters, and has transmitted this information to the Firebrand, Gage, and Melbourne.
    b. The ship ordered Tactical to fire three torpedoes at the cutting beam. However, from its final position of 4,825,000Y, the torpedoes would have to expend all their fuel, and thus do no damage, to reach the cube, so I have ignored this order.

3. Buran
    a. Tactical "prepares torpedoes for overload" (I have no idea what this means, but OK).
    b. Ops communicates sensor information to the rest of the fleet and Starfleet Command.
    c. The Conn engages in general defensive maneuvers, imposing a -2 Test
    Result penalty on the Borg cube's attacks this round.
    d. Engineering improves the warp core's performance, generating +27 Power for the next two rounds (since you're not doing anything requiring major amounts of Power this round, Kevin, we'll declare that this applies to Rounds 3 and 4; please note it in your orders, or else you lose it ).

4. Firebrand
    a. Continuing Staggered Approach Vector with Gage and Melbourne; gains no bonuses until all ships make their Multifire attack.
    b. Sensors aid Tactical, providing a +4 bonus to attack Test Results (since you're not attacking this round, Captain Preye, we'll continue this bonus until the first round when you do attack; please note it in your orders, or else you lose it ).
    c. Engineering increases forward shield to 750 Protection (costs 45 Power).

5. Gage
    a. Continuing Staggered Approach Vector with Firebrand and Melbourne; gains no bonuses until all ships make their Multifire attack.
    b. Sensors aid Tactical, providing a +2 bonus to attack Test Results (since you're not attacking this round, Captain Blayde, we'll continue this bonus until the first round when you do attack; please note it in your orders, or else you lose it ).
    c. Engineering increases forward shield to 880 Protection (costs 66 Power).

6. Hawkeye
    a. Tactical increases all shields to full (1500 Protection) (costs 400 Power) — Captain Makklor, please be aware of this next round; this uses up nearly two-thirds of your power.
    b. The Conn attempts defensive maneuver Beta-3, but fails to obtain any bonus against Borg attacks.
    c. Tactical fires a full Spread of 10 torpedoes from the Forward Ventral launcher at the front side of the cube. Since the nature of the attack was not specified, I am assuming it was Multifire. Five torpedoes hit, causing 360 points of damage to the Borg's front shields, diminishing their
    Protection but causing no damage to the cube itself.
    c. Tactical fires a full Spread of 10 torpedoes from the Forward Dorsal launcher at the front side of the cube. Since the nature of the attack was not specified, I am assuming it was Multifire. Unfortunately, a Dramatic Failure results (the first time I've EVER seen one of these actually occur in a game). The Forward Dorsal launcher becomes inextricably jammed and will
    remain useless for the remainder of the battle.

7. Melbourne
    a. Continuing Staggered Approach Vector with Firebrand and Gage; gains no bonuses until all ships make their Multifire attack.
    b. Ops commences shield modulation, and also uses sensors to locate the pitiful few escape pods from the Chekov and Kyushu and relay their location to the USS Drake Remorez an the rest of the fleet.
    c. Tactical loads torpedoes into the starboard launcher and prepares to fire at 4,000,000 km.

8. Miyamoto Musashi
    a. Engineering sends extra power to the forward shield, increasing its Protection to 1275 (costs 129 Power). It keeps its remaining shields at 850 (the orders actually say "85," but I'm assuming this is a typo).
    b. Tactical fully loads all torpedo launchers.

9. Princeton
    a. Orders indicate that Tactical increases all shields to "125% (1300
    Protection)." However, the maximum shields on a Niagara-class ship are 1050, so I am unsure how to interpret this order. Fortunately, the Princeton is out of the Borg's range.
    b. Command calls for a "firing solution" for a Warp 1 approach to the cube. I am counting this as aiming; Bill, next round you'll reduce the Difficulty to hit the target by 1 (please note it in your orders, or else you lose it ). I reiterate my warning about attempting warp speed maneuvers within the gravity well of a star.

10. Shiloh
    a. Tactical pumps extra power to the forward shield, increasing its Protection to 1500 (costs 150 Power).
    b. The Conn, deftly maneuvering the ship, presents its minimal aspect to the Borg, imposing a -4 Test Result penalty on the cube's attacks.
    c. After obtaining a sensor lock, the ship fires "all torpedos at max range" (actually, given its position of 4,150,005Y, the Shiloh must sacrifice 40 points of damage from torps to give them the extra range to hit the cube).
    Since the nature of the attack was not specified, I am assuming it was one
    Multifire attack. Given the rules for Multifiring at such extreme range, I am
    only having one launcher fire its maximum Spread of 10 torps, since the odds are the rest of the torps will simply be wasted. Five torpedoes hit, causing 360 points of damage to the Borg's front shields, diminishing their Protection but causing no damage to the cube itself.

Borg Actions
    1. Eliminate all Size penalties via sensor checks.

2. Tractor in bits of the Chekov and Kyushu for analysis.

3. Attack Bellerophon
    a. Dorsal torpedo launcher #1 fires 5 torpedoes as a Multifire attack. Three hit, causing 750 damage to the Bellerophon's forward shields. The shield loses 750 Protection. 420 points of damage get past the Threshold and is multiplied by 1 for the Multifire attack. Reduced by the Resistance of 16 (8 outer, 8 inner), that means 404 points of damage affects the ship. The
    ship loses 404 SUs, 40 points of which apply to its major cargo hold and the contents thereof.
    b. Dorsal torpedo launcher #2 fires 5 torpedoes as a Multifire attack. Three hit, causing 750 damage to the Bellerophon's forward shields. The forward shield collapses after 250 points, causing 484 (500-16 Resistance) SUs of damage to the Bellerophon (total of 888 SUs so far, or roughly one-third of the Bellerophon). 48 points of that affect the ship's EPS
    system, fortunately causing no further explosions but imposing a -5 penalty
    on all Power transfer Tests hereafter.

4. Attack Buran
    a. Starboard beam projector #1 fires twice at Buran as a multiple weapon attack. Both attacks hit the Buran's aft shield, reducing it by 500 points to 100 Protection. 50 points from each attack exceed the shield's Threshold, causing 38 SUs (50-12 Resistance) to the ship (total 72 SUs). 4 SUs apply to Recreation Facilities, and 4 SUs to Emergency Power
    b. Starboard beam projector #2 fires twice at Buran as a multiple weapon attack. Both attacks hit the Buran's aft shield, reducing it by 500 points. Since it only had 100 left, the ship takes 188 and 188 SUs (total 376 SUs damage). Unfortunately both shots hit the ship's warp engine, causing it to take a total of 36 SUs damage. This reduces its Power-generating capability
    to 219 Power per round.
    c. Starboard beam projector #3 fires twice at Buran as a multiple weapon attack, but misses due to the Buran's maneuvering.

5. Attack Hawkeye
    a. Ventral torpedo launcher #1 fires 5 torpedoes as a Multifire attack. All five hit, causing 1000 damage to the Hawkeye's starboard shield. That allows 670 damage through to affect the ship, which is multiplied by 2 for 1,324 (1,340-16 Resistance) SUs damage to the ship. 132 SUs destroy the ship's navigational deflector, resulting in a -5 Test Result penalty to all
    Tests involving the deflector.
    b. Starboard torpedo launcher #1 fires 5 torpedoes as a Multifire attack. Three hit, causing 750 damage to the Hawkeye's starboard shield. Since that shield only had 500 Protection left, it collapses, and the ship takes 234 (250-16 Resistance) SUs (multiplied by 1 for the Multifire attack)
    of damage. 23 SUs apply to the Saucer Dorsal Phaser Array.
    c. Starboard torpedo launcher #2 fires 5 torpedoes as a Multifire attack. Four hit, doing 1,936 SUs more damage and destroying the Hawkeye.

6. Attack Melbourne
    a. The Borg cube uses sensors to enhance its targeting lock on the Melbourne, reducing the Difficulty to hit it by 4. Forward torpedo launcher #2 fires 10 torpedoes as a Multifire attack. Six hit, causing 1125 damage to the Melbourne's forward shields, reducing them to 150 Protection. 850 SUs of damage exceed the Melbourne's Threshold, and are multiplied by 3 (half the attacks) for 2,534 damage. (2550-16 Resistance). As the Melbourne only had
    2,211 SUs, it has been destroyed.

7. Attack Miyamoto Musashi
    a. The Borg cube uses sensors to enhance its targeting lock on the Musashi, reducing the Difficulty to hit it by 4. Forward torpedo launcher #1 fires 10 torpedoes as a Multifire attack. Three hit, causing 750 damage to the Musashi's forward shields, reducing them to 525 Protection and allowing 475 SUs of damage to bypass the Threshold. Multiplied by 2 for the number of
    attacks, this causes 934 SUs (950-16 Resistance) damage to the Musashi. 95
    SUs of that damage the ship's auxiliary power systems, totally destroying them.

8. Attack Shiloh
    a. The Borg cube uses sensors to enhance its targeting lock on the Melbourne, reducing the Difficulty to hit it by 3. Forward torpedo launcher #3 fires 10 torpedoes as a Multifire attack. Three hit, causing 750 damage to the Shiloh's forward shields, reducing them to 750 Protection. 420 SUs of damage get past the Threshold and is multiplied by 1 for the Multifire attack. Reduced by the Resistance of 16, that means 404 points of damage affects the ship. The ship loses 404 SUs, 40 points of which apply to its lateral sensors, completely destroying them. Reduce the Shiloh's Sensor Skill to 1.

Longcutus

------------------
    Dan.

Red face

Uh oh! Looks like history does repeat itself. Good luck guys. Swarm, SWARM!

Steve, how do you keep track of some much stuff, so many numbers? Anything you could share with the rest of us?

------------------
    Tony Fanchi
    Scotty "Laddy, don't you think you should rephrase that?"
    Korax "You're right. I didn't mean to say the Enterprise should be hauling garbage, I meant to say it should be hauled away as garbage!"
    [The Trouble With Tribbles/Trials and Tribbilations]

None of this 1 ship approach stuff, get all 30+ ships left in a cordinated attack formation, and fire the biggest damn torpedo salvo in history!

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator