Thread: Fighters

Question Fighters

Okay. Here is my question, for Mr. Long and company... anyone else is clear to chime in..

I was reading thru the Ship Design rules, and came across the bridge, and other systems required on a Starfleet Vessel. It seems to me that you are required to have a "full bridge" and quite a few other things, that wouldn't really be in a fighter. Given that, is there a way to reduce the cost(in SU) for a bridge, and other systems by reducing how many stations a given area has, and would there be a penalty for that sort of thing?

Thank you in advance,
    RykkDaBrik(ar)

Question

Also, why does every ship have to have an internal transportation system?

Originally posted by RykkDaBrik:
    Also, why does every ship have to have an internal transportation system?

So that you can move about inside the ship...

Sewriously though. Even the runabouts have jefferies tubes. Watch DS9's Blaze of Glory. They use a Jefferies tube to access the nacelles for repairs while in combat...

So thats definatly confirmed, although I would imagine that you caould get away with loosing the internal transportation system on a shuttlecraft...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

Regarding bridges, as noted in SD and the SRM, many smaller vessels tend to have "cockpits" or the like instead of full-fledged bridges. In game terms, though, these things fulfill the same functions as bridges, and thus cost the same number of SUs. If you want to reduce the SU cost for your games and thereby expose your bridge crews on small ships to greater risk of injury, feel free.

As for the internal "transportation" system (something of a misnomer in these cases, naturally ), Dan's hit it right on the head. They're just an unusual way for people to move about the vessel, and we usually see such systems only in unusual circumstances.

Steve Long

Well even small ships have Jeffrie's tubes.. I refer you to the episode 'Children of the Borg' which had Ensign Kim knocked out in a Jeffries Tube upon capture of the Delta Flyer by the children's Borg ship.

I personally think that on a fighter type, like most shuttlecraft, you could get away with having the systems accessable from the outside only... but only for size 1, or small size 2 vessels, but thank you for your prompt responses.

Another option to simulate a cockpit in game terms would be to use the stats for the battle bridge.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.