Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Akira and Fighters vs D'Deridex Warbird

Cool Akira and Fighters vs D'Deridex Warbird

As proposed in the Narrator's section:

"Captain's log; Dominique Montaine commanding. The Vanguard is now six months into its journey through the Beta Quadrant. We are making every effort to steer clear of the Romulan borders as we make our way deeper into the Quadrant, but this area is largely uncharted. We must keep our guard up. We are now approaching a type G star with a class M planet. Per general Starfleet orders we will perform a cursory survey before moving on. I have ordered the USS Osprey (Talon class Scout) to range ahead in case there are any surprises..."

The Osprey detects a sensor anomaly orbitting the class M world and surprises a Romulan Warbird performing a routine survey of its own. The Warbird's captain challenges the Osprey and...
    Okay, we need a volunteer to captain the Warbird. This will be a standard D'Deridex class starship right out of the SRM. The other players will captain the USS Vanguard (use the basic Akira class stats from SRM) and one each for the two 'wings' of six each Starfleet Attack Fighters.

The stats of the SAF's need to be nailed down for this. If Steve is willing to help, all we basically need is armament, shields, hull, and resistance. I'm assuming 1 or 2 crew to man the SAF's each.

You have a G class star system to play in with 7 planets. The 2 inner ones are rocky cratered airless deserts, the 3rd one is uninhabited M class with 2 small moons, and the other 4 are gas giants. An asteroid belt lies between number 3 and 4 and all the gas giants have multiple moons and rings.

Let's get started...

------------------
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Thumbs up

Cool...another Vanguard. That wsa the name of our first ship (we had a Steamrunner.) Semper Vigilis.

Well, the fighters stats are going to be in the Dominion War Sourcebook... As has been mentioned before.

And if your hanging on for them, there is a chance that the http://groups.yahoo.com/group/starship_battles
    list will be finished with the wolf 359 recreation...

You would be welcome to use the list at that time...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

[This message has been edited by Dan Gurden (edited 02-22-2001).]

Stats for the Romulan shuttle would also be helpful. I looked and normally the warbird carries 16 shuttles and 8 shuttlepods. Depending on weaponry the Starfleet fighters have the possibility of being outnumbered two to one.

I might be interested in playing the Romulans, if I can get some help with the purely mechanical side of things.

Well, until the Romulan SRM comes out, you are welcome to use mine found on my website, but specifically at; http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.u...an_shuttle.htm

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

Cool

I guess its fair for the Romulan commander to use his/her full complement of shuttles...

That just means that the Federation commander gets to use all of hers as well.

Here is the full complement of auxiliaries carried by USS Vanguard:

Starfleet Attack Fighters: Daddy's Girl, The Vixen, Assimilate This!, The Axe, What-Me-Worry?, Hot to Trot, Canopener, Iron Butterfly, Piecemaker, Phaserphodder, Heartbreaker, and Widowmaker (try to imagine the nose-art).

Talon class: USS Osprey
    Danube class: USS Colorado
    Type 6: Lucas, Addams
    Type 7: Tycho, Kelvin
    Type 9: Tereshkova, Ride
    Type 15: Pournelle, Bova
    Workbees: Clara, Maybelle, Rhonda, and SusieQ.

All pilots are assumed to have skill level 4 in appropriate skills except for two Aces who lead the wings of SAF's- they have skill 5.

We'll use Dan's Romulan shuttle until a better one comes along, but I'm still waiting for Steve to notice us.

Pesterfield- If you have Spacedock, I'm willing to let you command the Warbird. Essentially, I'll be handling the set-up and rule-bashing; all you have to do is send me your valid orders. Mind you, you'll be all by yourself! The Fed players get one person to captain the Akira and one each for the two wings of SAF's. The Akira's captain will control any shuttles launched. The reason is that this is a test of possible fighter tactics for the Star Trek universe on a small scale.

Anybody else interest?

------------------

Can I have information on the Starfleet fighters? Limited to what the Tal'Shiar have discovered of course.

Did the warbird learn anything that could be useful about the star system?

Cool

As far as the SAF goes, I'm still waiting for Mr. Long to notice these posts and give us something. For the moment, however, you may assume that the SAF carries Type VI phaser arrays (120 dmg each)(probably 6 arrays of 40 each, all facing forward, mounted on the wings), a chin mount, twin tube, microtorpedo (50 dmg each) launcher, and a photon torpedo module carrying 4 Mk II photorps (200 dmg each). Shields are probably 450 strength and drives are Warp 5 max, and impulse .7/.9. Power available is around 250 to 300. These are all guesses, mind you.

As for what the D'Deridex found out... let's wait a bit for a private email note, but certainly assume it was worth fighting for!

------------------

I would be interested in lurking to see how it turns out as I have my own thoughts on the matter, Captains being equal.

Cmdr Powers while your waiting why don't you create your own SAF and post it for feedback, your basic stats seem fairly reasonable to me.

Regards,
    CKV.

I'll see about ponying up a bit o' info on the Starfleet Attack Fighter when I return from Jacksonville.

Hope to see some of you at GameInvasion this weekend.

Steve Long

Looking forward to seeing the stats, Steve! Have fun at Jacksonville: The Beaches of Doom.

BTW, there is a simple typo that I'm sure someone else must have already mentioned, but the Talon class scout SRM stats need to show two aft phaser arrays, not one aft and one forward.

Now, about phaser arrays. Is it better for the Starfleet Attack Fighter to have 3 Type VI arrays of 40 segments each on each wing OR 1 Type VI array of 120 segments on each wing. Is multifire better than multiaction? The SAF had better have a pilot and a tac officer to handle multiaction so a crew of 2 is indicated. (BTW, I'm basing the arrays on the photo of the SAF that shows three emitters of some sort in the leading edge of each wing.)

I don't have Spacedock with me at the moment, but lets look up and see how that phaser fire works out...

------------------

I'll check the Talon.

Those three "emitters" are actually Spread 1 torpedo launchers. A little bit of coordinated fire, and a wing of SAFs can be pretty deadly.

Steve Long

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!

Cool

Yeah, the first couple of shots are the SAF. And- I guess those 3 thingies on the wings are single-shot torpedo launchers- not phaser arrays.

Okay- where's the phasers? And do you mean full-size torpedoes? or microtorpedoes?

Thanks for the hints Steve. I guess we're going to have to wait a bit.

------------------

You can email me the information on the system anytime, the for the address just press the mail icon.

Questions: Can you uncloak, fire weapons, cloak, and start to move in one turns?

Can you establish sensor locks and select targets before decloaking to fire?