Thread: Deneva Blues

Originally posted by CmdrBluejeans:

I'm thinking, therefore, that changing either the size of the Deneva, or the efficiency of its modules, are in order. Ideas?
    BJ
    Someone had pointed out this before. Maybe cargo capacity should list the amount of mass a ship can carry, instead of the volume allowed for it, since we can make that up from the SU cost.

------------------
    "As long as you can laugh, you are not
    defeated."

–- Jack Vance

Question Deneva Blues

I'll explain the train of thought behind this in another post on a more appropriate board, but today, I've spent an hour working on custom transport modules, and some ship-wide upgrades, to a Deneva-class Light Transport, to make it the 'crux' of a new series (without going too much into detail, it will serve as the platform for dealing with a scientific phenomenon so classified that the Federation dare not risk placing a starbase anywhere near it, and must rely on fly-bys from a moderately harmless-looking ship).

So I'm doing up the math and I realized something. By its measurements, the Deneva-class L.T. is only 600,000 or so cubic meters in total, even if you assume its height, beam, and length form a perfect rectangular solid (which, as we know, it does not).

So how come a cargo module capable of holding that much by itself is listed as a standard cargo module for the class?

I mean, when you think about it, given that there are six of these modules attached to the ship, all the numbers I crunch show each module as being 40-60m long, 20-25m wide, and 45m high. That's something like 34,000 to 67,500 cubic meters per module.

I'm thinking, therefore, that changing either the size of the Deneva, or the efficiency of its modules, are in order. Ideas?

BJ

The dimensions given are for the "tug" portion... if you look on the Ex Astris Scientia website they have a great diagram of a Deneva... it's got four warp nacells in a cross pattern (X), a small saucer in front of the X (what would be the +Z axis on this screen) and tows the pods behind (the -Z axis).

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

Thanks for the pointers to this info, guys. I was *thinking* that the easiest way to handle it would be to declare the measurements for a tug part separate from the modules, but I was hampered by the picture shown of the Deneva in PoF, and couldn't get that image out of my head.

BJ