Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Valkyrie Strike Fighter

True . . . true . . . but it just don't feel trek to me.

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!

Lightbulb

I think it depends on how much fun your players are having, and where you and you players want to go. I favor the big ships as well, but can see a fighter based game being interesting.

The biggest concern I have with the use of fighters in my Trek game is the amount of space they allow the PC's to control and monitor. Guess they will be running into a lot more cloaked ships in the future.

Right now, my game is more like the traditional Trek with the cruisers, but it is not a naval simulation. Ships are props which drive the story along, and the fighters were more of an adventure in ship design - because I thought the Valkyrie running around in fighters, my game will looked cool.

If my players do have some interest it will look more like Space:Above and Beyond - with a dash of Battlestar Galactica then the reality of actual fighter operations.

[This message has been edited by Brian K (edited 03-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Brian K (edited 03-09-2001).]

Actually that is very much like how my Campain is developing into SA&B. With them operating from either a Base or Carrier, and operating independently when required.

------------------

Cool

Not to take us off track or anything, but tell me more about your SAAB campaign. What system? Can I play? You know...

As for Fighters in Star Trek- We've hashed this out before, but apparently it has almost as much controversy potential as Marines in Star Trek. There are no Marines in Star Trek- they have Rapid Response Teams. There are no fighter squadrons in Star Trek- Except when you need them in the Dominion War.

Fighters are extremely important to our Akira vs D'Deridex simulation and they are certainly aboard the version of the USS Vanguard used in our local ST campaign. We use them basically as scouts, cannon fodder, story teasers, that kind of thing. In an adventure, a fighter pilot becomes sort of a triphammer for the adventure. You know- "Lt Buzz Aldrin brought his Valkyrie (Warwitch) out of warp as he entered the system. Suddenly an alien vessel decloaked right in front of him! Aldrin managed to get one partial subspace message off to the USS Indispensible before the alien's antiproton beams shredded him and the Warwitch to atoms!" Etc.

------------------
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Two problems with you joining CMDR.
    1) The rest of my players need to atleast get to know you.
    2) (The important part) You'll need to come to California State University, Sacramento every Sunday from 2000-2300 PST.

Seeing your locations . . . I doubt you can do it. However, I do post what happens every week after game play in the Narrator board . . . So feel free to check it out.

I see you as an expert in the Akira and Star Trek Fighter Material and soon to be a friend.

Feel free to give me advice, I'll take it into serious consideration.

But OK, this is how it is. My PCs have all been assigned to an Air Wing attached to the USS Onizuka (Akira Class). Their squadron has been ordered to detach from the Air Wing and attach to the 'Cardassian Rehabilitaion Ministry', a new department which falls under the Office of Colonial Affairs. Therefore the USS Onizuka is taking them there to their 'Sector of Responsibility'.

However, on route they have ran into a heavy militant Orion Syndicate presence. This has happened due to the USS Onizuka responding to an attacked Fed Merchant Marine Transport. This is taking them to an entirely new realm. After this string of episodes has ended they will finally get to their 'Sector of Responsibility'.

Their Squadron is made up of Three Venture/Talon class scouts, since when I began the campaign I didn't have access to this site (I didn't know about it). Furthermore, an original player that was unable to get in until last week is a LTCMDR (the rest are LTs), therefore he will have say on organization, not I (that is at the Squadron level).

I'll keep you posted.

However, this group has two confirmed kills already.

------------------

Arrow

Here is the link to where I'll be posting for updates for my RPG
    http://www.trekrpg.net/Board/ubb/For...ML/000932.html

Smile

Whoa, I just checked out the fighters on that eGroups page. That's some nice work!

Good job!

Pat

Unhappy

Oh well...

Heck, I can't even get to AZ to visit my daughter!

Appreciate the kind words jalu3,and I will look in on your game.

How 'bout what happened in Turn 2?!?!

------------------

Question

Oh, you have a daughter? That's cool

As far as thing are with the Game, we're discussing our course of action now . . . But question . . . can we do things since most of our orders are directing lower officers and enlisted personnel to do things?

------------------

Unhappy

Please elaborate. Your orders so far have been pretty expansive concerning the crew of USS Vanguard. Why should I quibble about what you, Lipumano, do? Try it and lets see...

Yeah, I'm an old guy. Graduated from high school in 70. Was in Thailand at Udorn when the war 'ended'. Been gaming since 71. Designed a bunch too. I think I'm one of those, whatchacallum's 'Grognards'.

------------------

hmmm . . . how can I put it. Of course . . . it is not me who is directly moving the Air Wing, therefore should I be free to go about doing other things while my subordinates carry out my orders? I mean I have to know what they are doing, and that will take up a small part of my time, however, I should have enough time to carry out other actions that may need to be done.

(The movement/ or non-movement of wing Alpha for instance (said out of game of course))

But that's my opinion on the matter . . . what do you think?

Class of 70, that's when my dad graduated . . . so then your daughter is like in college or something then?

------------------

Cool

The key here is that I'm 17 going on 49. Heck, just ask my wife!

My daughter has her Masters Degree in Library Science and a Bachelor's Degree in Russian Area Studies. She's a librarian in Phoenix. Quite proud of her actually... Oh yeah, she's a pretty good gamer too, when she gets the chance.

Wife games too. AAMOF, she's Doctor 'Ginsu' MacLair, CMO of USS Vanguard! She teaches biology, chemistry, physics, and earth science to snotty 10-12 graders. (And not looking forward to the casualties she's about to receive in sickbay!)

------------------

I didn't know we had a PC CMO, but that's cool, we'll need her help if we can board the big bird . . . hehe . . . but what's the chances of bringing that home as a "War Troffy"? hehe.

Hmmm . . . that's cool, sounds like you got a good family. Looks like things have worked out.

See you in game.

Question do we have nay RRTs/SMC (Starfleet Marine Corps) on board?

------------------

Cool

Well, you see, Dr. MacLair is CMO onboard the USS Vanguard of my local game- But, if she wishes to help out, she's got pretty good skills.

The RRT's on our USS Vanguard are led by LtCmdr Bar'Tak, Chief of Security and Chief Tactical Officer. There are a goodly number of RRT's onboard, enough for two sections (say 30 people or so). Oh, and before anybody gets bent out of shape about Bar'Tak being local to me, our STNG game is not currently being played and we rarely get together. He's conducting this action almost entirely by email and I do not ever help him make his order decisions.

Yeah, I do have a good family

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Powers (edited 03-12-2001).]

Why has someone said anything?

------------------